It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three cheers for Louisiana!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Maybe you are right. Perhaps marriage should be reserved by those SO 'compelled' by Evolution's edicts that they have trouble thinking independently and clearly and need a social mechanism as an advantage to even hope to have a chance in our competitive society.

Perhaps some people are so socially incapacitated by heterosexuality that they should be treated like handicaped individuals and be given special rights and privileges that are denied others

Perhaps many heterosexuals are not so afraid of a level playing field, obviously many still are.

How is it that government sanctioning of that which is a personally based decision to enter into a long-term partnership should be given to some and denied to others? Is the government our God? Our Religion? Or is government the enforcer of our bigotry?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
EDIT: Deleted...not productive to the thread - sorry intelearthling...

[edit on 9/24/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
If you've got a person that is heterosexual, who has a family, that is more qualified to fill a job position than what a homosexual person has, and the job is given to the person that is heterosexual, with the rights that the homosexual community is pushing for would permit him to sue the business owner for that job solely on the basis of his sexual preference. I do believe that homosexuals can do some jobs better than heterosexuals, but I don't believe that heterosexuals are going to try and compete for hairdressing jobs.

And BTW, since when does the minority overrule the decisions of the majority?

I'm not trying to argue that gays will "take over" our jobs if they aren't as qualified. I'm saying that christians should just keep to themselves, and not try and fight homosexuality with such hate.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
A state judge threw out the Louisiana consitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
A state judge threw out the Louisiana consitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

All I have to say is...LET FREEDOM RING!!! The Constitution is meant to GIVE rights, and NOT take them AWAY.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I agree, Jazzerman; the Constitution is supposed to give us rights, such as the right to keep and bear arms.

For some reason I cannot understand, though, is that as many Naderites seem to want to take that right away as the Bu#es want to take away the right to, say, an abortion.

Why do you suppose that is?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Off_The_Street...those are definitely very good questions. I'm personally not a "Naderite" that wants to take away the right to own arms, but just have more strict rules and regulations on them.

I guess your questions are much like this example:

Why do most Democrats oppose the Death penalty, but support a pro-choice stance, and why do most Republicans favor the Death Penalty yet are anti-abortion? Death is death. This is a question we were asked back in college in a class called "Philosophy and Morals" or something like that.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin

abcnews.go.com...

OMG - Is a constitutional amendment reviewable by the Courts? Is there actually hope if the feds pass a federal constitutional amendment?

Any answers from you constitutional scholars out there?

From the article:

A state judge Tuesday threw out a Louisiana constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage that was overwhelmingly approved by voters on Sept. 18. Judge William Morvant said the amendment was flawed as drawn up by the Legislature because it had more than one purpose banning not only same-sex marriage but also civil unions.

While I personally find this to be a great civil rights victory (and yes my bible thumpers, it is a civil rights issue) I am curious about Courts having jurisdiction over a state/federal constitution rather than law itself.

Is there something within the Louisiana constitution itself that provides for judicial oversight?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The courts are there to interpret the laws. There was a law on the books that stated you cannot vote on an amendment that has more than one issue; it has to be divided out. They wanted to rush the vote rather than do it this way, so technically the vote was against the law. This is why the judge ruled the way he did. So even though it is a small win for gay supporters, it really has nothing to do with overturning the amendment to ban gay marriages per se.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification.

But I was more curious about judicial oversight of a constitutional amendment to begin with. The fact that this was Louisiana law to begin with says alot. How do the backers of the amendment think they are going to cover all their bases? I can see far less support for a constitutional amendment barring civil unions than gay marriage.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   

The people in Louisiana have let their voices be heard! Join the others who wants the same!

This is exactly why I support Bush!
Oh, what a beautiful day it is!

[edit on 18/9/04 by Intelearthling]

Why cant people, just live and be happy? Why do people like YOU and BUSH, ruin peoples lives for fun?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Why cant people, just live and be happy? Why do people like YOU and BUSH, ruin peoples lives for fun?

Seriously!! Im thinking that these people that want to ban Gay Marriage are getting their jollies on by taking away peoples libertys. Whatever happened to "America: The Free"? What is it now? "America: The Homophobic"? "America: The Gay Bashers"? "America: Freedom For All*"? America: No Gays Allowed"? Jesus Christ people!! What is your god damned problem with gay people getting married?? Is it the whole "God" not liking gay people (shortening), and that most Republicans are Christians? You want your 2nd Amendment rights, but just wanna # the 1st Amendment, which states that there must be a seperation of Church and State? If "God" is allowed to run this country, you might as well just cross the 1st Amendment out with a Sharpie. Im sorry if Iv stated something thats already been said...but I was in too much anger after reading the first couple posts. BTW...I agree with Jazzerman...how does anyone find discrimination good?
[/rant]

*Please Read Fine Print

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I don't know why it was even allowed to go to vote. As I said, the only excuse I can give is that it was rushed, and they wanted to get it on the ballot. That's all I got from newspaper clippings at the time. This oversight was brought up back when they were voting on the issue, yet the amendment was not, well, amended
So this is the problem they find now, and makes it look like courts are 'legislating from the bench,' when in fact they are simply doing their jobs and upholding the law already on the books.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Im not surprized my questions where not answered. Its all-good, In not answering, you are answering.

Just another EVIL person that only cares about making peoples lives HELL.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Am I really ruining anyones life? Just because I voiced my opinion on such 'sensitive issues' automatically makes me ruining anyones lives? Name me one person whose life I have ruined. Zero. People are highly capable of ruining their own lives.

Im not surprized my questions where not answered. Its all-good, In not answering, you are answering.

Just another EVIL person that only cares about making peoples lives HELL.

You need to explain how I'm evil and my sole intent is to make another person's life hell. You've got your opinion and I've got mine. Wouldn't it be a very boring world and nothing to live for if everyone thought the same. Talk about Dullsville.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Wouldn't it be a very boring world and nothing to live for if everyone thought the same. On a over-all scale it would be boring, but on moral issues,If people could see that we are all human. We all deserve to same right.

It was the way you started the thread, A person can feel the hate flowing out of you.

All I ask is why do you have the opioins you have. In your eyes, why cant to guys, or woman get married? Please refrain from using the bible.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

It was the way you started the thread, A person can feel the hate flowing out of you.

I can't see how people feel the hate flowing out of me. I can feel the hate of many members for other members at ATS. At the beginning this thread, I was voicingmy opinion about Louisiana's referendum outcome. I had no idea that I'd cause a ruckus. I'm not the one to change anyone's belief and anyone can't change mine. I'm not about to go out and commit genocidal tpye crimes. I'm waiting for my time to be up on Earth just like billions before me and until that time comes, I'm going to live life the way I believe it should be lived.

All I ask is why do you have the opioins you have. In your eyes, why cant to guys, or woman get married? Please refrain from using the bible.

All my life I've believed that marriage is reserved for one man and one woman. Modern society has twisted about what marriage is suppose to be. Since man and woman are different from each other, in marriage they become one. I believe that you must have this difference before the merging of two souls. I cannot waiver on this belief. It is what I am.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There is a difference between having an oppinion and forcing your opinion on others by creating laws, and by that making someone's life miserable just because they do not believe in the same dogma you do.

What I do not understand is WHY is there a need to force christian dogma with laws. How exactly does a marriage between two homosexuals influence YOUR life? You can still marry in the good old christian way, your kids can too.
Homosexuality in not something that is learned in course of life, gays are not gays because they saw others doing it or because someone told them to do it. People are born like that, it is who they are. So there is no danger in letting them get married, that won't turn your kid gay. If your kids are straight, they will remain that way. If they are gay, a ban on gay marriage won't stop them from feeling attracted to same sex.
Forcing religious beliefs on people by changing constitution and creating laws is absurd. It only creates more intolerance.

What if there are gays around you? How does that affect your life exactly? Besides confronting you with your prejudice all the time.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Am I really ruining anyones life? Just because I voiced my opinion on such 'sensitive issues' automatically makes me ruining anyones lives? Name me one person whose life I have ruined. Zero. People are highly capable of ruining their own lives.

You, yourself, hasnt ruined anybodys lives. But the laws that you agree with sure have. Marriage is supposed to be the happiest time in somebodys life. Why deprive it from 2 people that love each other?

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

All my life I've believed that marriage is reserved for one man and one woman.

Modern society has twisted about what marriage is suppose to be.

Since man and woman are different from each other, in marriage they become one.

I believe that you must have this difference before the merging of two souls. I cannot waiver on this belief. It is what I am.

So why do your Beliefs need to keep people from having the same rights as you and your wife? Because they are the same? How can a Word like marriage hurt you if someone else uses it a little diffrent?

People give power to words, words dont give us power.

Really, how long are you going to think about it if a couple of gays get married? Maybe a couple of days, then you will forget and the power will be gone.

Im not trying to change your mind, just open your eyes.

For a LONG time the world was believed to be flat, the sun went around the earth, Blacks where lesser, woman was lesser. SOON YOU will be LESSER.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join