It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sentinel project research reveals UK GPS jammer use

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Sentinel project research reveals UK GPS jammer use

www.bbc.co.uk

The illegal use of Global Positioning System (GPS) jammers in the UK has been revealed in a groundbreaking study.

GPS jammers are believed to be mostly used by people driving vehicles fitted with tracking devices in order to mask their whereabouts.

In one location the Sentinel study recorded more than 60 GPS jamming incidents in six months.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I know there have been a couple stories on ATS in the past about GPS jamming and signal jamming going on. I didn't know this was a illegal activity so i had to post it.

If the gov't is going to bug your car and you find it I think you should have the right to jam the signal. I can understand if you are a criminal they would GPS your car but why are they doing it to random cars?

I know the UK is craking down on terrorism big time these days but it seems the are really taking it to the extream. Interesting read none the less.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
hi op

i bloody knew it
they done the same thing wen they killed diana
ham radio experts reported all airways jammed
at the time of her accident
edit on 10/25/2011 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

I know there have been a couple stories on ATS in the past about GPS jamming and signal jamming going on. I didn't know this was a illegal activity so i had to post it.

If the gov't is going to bug your car and you find it I think you should have the right to jam the signal. I can understand if you are a criminal they would GPS your car but why are they doing it to random cars?

I know the UK is craking down on terrorism big time these days but it seems the are really taking it to the extream. Interesting read none the less.

www.bbc.co.uk

Its not the government bugging the cars (although I bet that does go on for terror suspects). Whats the article is getting at is commercial vehicles tracked so the company knows where it is e.g. DHL lorries etc. Employees using them so the boss can't tell their still having a nap in the services.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

I don't live in the UK so this was new news to me. I am hoping some UK residents can shed a little more light on the subject or even if they knew what was going on..Seemed interesting to me though.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Ahh I see that makes sense too. Good thing then in that case. Some of those lazy ___es need to be tracked to make sure they are working.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I see this as another nail in the coffin for our privacy. The time will come when the technology and laws will be such that people like me won't be able to modify/disable the GPS moduals in cell phones for people like you anymore. This will mean that the government will have a permanent and complete history of where you've been to within 1 meter for the rest of your life.

Of course this is coming with vehicles anyway, regardless. As soon as driverless vehicles hit the road recording the location of the vehicle will be necessary for the automation process. At least that's what they will claim.

Government should be petitioned by the people now to make recording of cell phone and vehicle positions illegal. But we're all way to lethargic to bother with that.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Here in the US a lot of rental cars have GPS tracker.

There have been a number of cases where people driving from southern Calif to northern Calif have taken the scenic route up the east side of the sierras and drove only a couple miles into nevada and were billed $1000 extra because they crossed into nevada.
The rental company had never ask what route they were going to take and did not tell them that if they went into nevada it would cost more.
oag.ca.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by justwokeup

Ahh I see that makes sense too. Good thing then in that case. Some of those lazy ___es need to be tracked to make sure they are working.

-SAP-

The 'lazy ___es' would have been told the tracking was for their own safety cos it's dangerous out there! I was once subject to disciplinary because I threw my special safety ID radio card in the draw and refused to carry it. I had commented about the real time recording when the card was activated being a GPRS device and received a harsh and public denial from the company that staff were being tracked!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

That's why you buy a jammer to deny these practices

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Illegal in the UK because emergency services vehicles use GPS, Some fool jamming the signal could mean the difference between life or death. It's not like the GPS trackers are hard to disable in trucks, rental vehicle's etc. They are wired to the main wiring harness and as such have a fuse. Just need to spend a few mins looking for it. Also the Ariel's are generally visible.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
I see this as another nail in the coffin for our privacy. The time will come when the technology and laws will be such that people like me won't be able to modify/disable the GPS moduals in cell phones for people like you anymore. This will mean that the government will have a permanent and complete history of where you've been to within 1 meter for the rest of your life.

Of course this is coming with vehicles anyway, regardless. As soon as driverless vehicles hit the road recording the location of the vehicle will be necessary for the automation process. At least that's what they will claim.

Government should be petitioned by the people now to make recording of cell phone and vehicle positions illegal. But we're all way to lethargic to bother with that.

Well if you are employed to drive a company van/truck your employer has every right to know were his vehicle is,also may help the driver if a crash occurs to prove you were not speeding or if in a rural location getting help to you quick.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I agree that a company has the right to track their own vehicles. I'm saying that citizens are loosing their right to opt out of bieng tracked all of the time.

As for your second statement. I don't want my life saved at the cost of my freedom. Anyway, perhaps we should teach paramedics to read maps again since they probably shouldn't be relying on GPS technology. GPS hasn't been around for very long. I and billions of others haven't had problem finding our way without it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Anon77

And what about cell phones? Is it easy for the common person to disable the GPS circuit in those?

Jammers can be designed to work over very small proximities, but I don't see any mention of making that legal.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Vehicle insurance companies in Britain are trying to bring in policies that require your vehicle to be constantly tracked by GPS so your driving can be monitored

Once it's brought in how long will it take to become compulsory ?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

I agree that a company has the right to track their own vehicles. I'm saying that citizens are loosing their right to opt out of bieng tracked all of the time.

As for your second statement. I don't want my life saved at the cost of my freedom. Anyway, perhaps we should teach paramedics to read maps again since they probably shouldn't be relying on GPS technology. GPS hasn't been around for very long. I and billions of others haven't had problem finding our way without it.

You would rather die than be saved well just hope your wish doesn't come true! There you are in a mangled wreck in the middle of nowhere saying I wish I hadn't pulled the fuse for the tracker.

If you have an accident the first 60 mins after it (if your alive) are the most important what would you rather have medics with your exact location or a map!

People blow these this out of proportion lets say everyone was track what would happen with the data it would be stored when would a real person actually look at it ONLY if there was a NEED to.

I live in the UK CCTV central here is an example .

Scenario 1
I am walking along a town centre at night with friends we are walking thats all a CCTV operator see us has a quick look we are causing no problems so looks elewhere. Whats the problem with that

Scenario 2
I am walking along a town centre at night with friends we are causing trouble, threatening people etc etc a CCTV operator spots us and calls the cops. Whats the problem with that

Its most likely that YOU and the vast majority of people would not be looked at for any reason its trouble makers that have to worry!!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Life is dangerous and no amount of monitoring is going to change that.

When you say 'saved', does this imply immortality? Because 'they' can't save diddly squat. All 'they' can do is pretend they have the power to; all the better to screw a few more pennies.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
For all of you who still think that blocking GPS signals in your own car I can suggest reading some publications about it, for example this: wiki.jammer-store.com...

As for people who live in United Kingdom, soon there might be very terrible time to live. The same website can grant you with the proof - blog.jammer-store.com... and by the way, there is also some information about all this buzz related to the famous Sentinel Project, GPS jammers and how "dangerous" they are. Have a good time reading it!

top topics

join