It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory-minimums for drug crimes don't work, say U.S. law officials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I truely wish the States would take heed of this report.

Seems the Gubberment is going to have to take another long hard look at what law and order really does mean......
Constitutional freedom is more than just a buzz word, without it the system does not work.....at all....
Like the man says Much of the problems which the goverment is facing today come as a result of missapplying the Laws against the backdrop of the constitutional freedoms guaranteed .
Social unrest may be attributed to the amount of divergance from this stated policy and aim of the republic.

Crimes are no longer cut and dried , laws are no longer simple, and the freedom we are guaranteed costitutionally is a chimera of itself under the current regime.

I cannot seem to get a link working so heres the gist....
www.cbc.ca...

VANCOUVER - An attorney who helped U.S. politicians write mandatory-minimum sentencing laws during the 1980s has a warning for Canadian parliamentarians.

Imposing long jail terms for minor drug offences has been a mistake in the U.S. and won't work in Canada," said Eric E. Sterling, who once served as counsel to the U.S. House Judiciary Committee.

"When you start going down this road of building more prisons and sending people away for long periods of time, and you convince yourself that this is going to deter people you've made a colossal mistake," said Sterling, who now the president of the Maryland-based Criminal Justice Policy Foundation

"We have learned the hard way that long sentences are not deterring people from selling drugs when the profits are so great."

Now i havent copied the entire list of those who have communicated the bad sides of what C-10, now tthe entire article, however i feel this is enough info to start .
I wonder why the US Goverment seems to go on unheeding its own expert advice in these matters....
Could it be there is another agenda, or use for these huge expensive prisons they are constructing?
A different type of prisoners perhaps?
edit on 22-2-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Feb 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Wed Feb 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Just to clarify...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Never gonna happen.

Both the reps and the dems are "tough on crime." Which translates to pandering to irrational fear in the most ignorant and counter-productive ways possible for votes.

90% of all written law in the US is rooted in this ignorance.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
My true belief is, only with Ron Paul as President, will the knotted ball of yarn, that has become our judicial system, be unraveled.

edit on 22-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Its utterly ridiculous how many people are put on these pain meds by doctors then are suddenly cut off for little to no reason.

I was taking five 30mg oxycodones a day before my back operation. The doctor then did the operation and he screwed up just about everything, leaving me in the same pain I was in. Then he swore up and down for a month that I couldn't have the same pain and refused to look at my back again, cut me off the pain medication cold turkey.

Had I not had seen a pain management doctor before and had good insurance at the time, I would have been forced to find what I needed on the street and If I was caught I would have been locked up as a criminal.

These doctors who run their places like doughnut factories don't care about the patient. They just care about money. I have seen several doctors since then and they all pointed out to me exactly what was wrong and advised me to never have another surgery on my back, just live the best life I can on pain medication.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

edit on Wed Feb 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Just to clarify...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ah, some common sense is beginning to dawn in the halls of goverment???
This must be a first for the instance im afraid......what kind of illustrations will convince the majority of people that the goverment has no interest in being of benefit to its people!
It is plain that goverment is not much different from the corporations which it represents.
Time to depersonalise corporations, and put them under different laws and restraints.
Time to turn back to the constitutional foundation of goverments and realign the laws to reflect it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You probably want to provide a link to that story, otherwise you are just plagiarizing. I have the most simple solution, don't use drugs.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

So when is the last time you drank some coffee?

The mandatory sentences are great for Prison Industrial Complex. Non-violent drug users make good prisoners.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

So when is the last time you drank some coffee?

I don't drink coffee. When is the last time you saw someone rob a store for coffee money?

The mandatory sentences are great for Prison Industrial Complex. Non-violent drug users make good prisoners.

Most you could say the same for all non-violent crimes.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I've seen a hungry person steal from a grocery store because they had no money. Poverty cause more crime than drugs ever will.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I've seen a hungry person steal from a grocery store because they had no money. Poverty cause more crime than drugs ever will.

Exactly, but you don't see poor people killing each other for food the way they do for drugs.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Not true. Wars have been waged over farmland, fishing/hunting territory, water supplies, ect. throughout the history of man.

Also people killing each other simply over drugs just does not happen like they want you to believe. Have you actually seen someone get killed or get robbed over drugs alone?
edit on 22-2-2012 by jrod because: addon

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
When you can get more time in prison for growing almost harmless plants and mushrooms than you can for sexually mollesting a child there is a problem.

The difference in drug V.S. other offenses is that drugs are a crime of specific mental disobedience to the controlling authority, while crimes such as raping a child are crimes to everyone. crime against the state's control agenda V.S Crime against God & humanity.

Historically think of what crimes were punished the harshest? Disobedience to the authority at the time or real crimes of injury, fraud, or theft aginst persons or property?

Spanish inquisition, Stalin, Mao, Pohl Poth Hitler? What crimes did they punish most?

The Drug war is a tool to quietly target and remove those who question the government's control of your consciousness state of mind from those who believe what they say without question. The drug war was the shoe in the door for the "patriot act" and that was the shoe in the door for the policies that are going into effect in the NDAA. Nothing less than Nazi style fascism. Are you ready?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Also people killing each other simply over drugs just does not happen like they want you to believe. Have you actually seen someone get killed or get robbed over drugs alone?

Yes

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well...I come back to this thread, and see it's taken the side track that leads to deletion. Keep chugging along this side track guys, everything that seems so important to you, that you create a post to say it...will be gone. *poof* like every other threads that veered off in to verboten subject land.

Just sayin'.....

Des

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well no #.

The war on drugs is the biggest failure in a century in terms of laws

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
reply to post by jrod

Have you actually seen someone get killed or get robbed over drugs alone?

Yes

How do you know that the assailant was robbing the victim for drugs?

"My stomach hurts so Im looking for a purse to snatch" Tupac

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yep wes a veerin off topic here....
Listen, the minimums dont work....thats pretty much proven fact here....
The canadian Goverment is about to turn down the same road that has cost the Americans billions if not a trillion by now....
With more billions to come for housng these so called criminals whose crimes were no more violent than inhaling verbotten smoke,.......
The war on the hard druge has much the same consequences, and is not the way to reduce harm.
HIV,Hep B, C and D, not to mention the STDs etc that sll come as a result of illegalising what a person may ingest .......
Think many working girls would still be pounding the streets if they could get their perscrptions like normal?
an HIV rate only even half what we have now.....maybe less....
The revenue legalising recreational drugs would bring in.....
The gang problem would also be lessened as they rely on all these for resources....
Time to grow up and recognise true individual liberty means you can be a drug addict if you want to....just dont bother anyone else with it!
Many more punitive laws will be comming down the pike as the police state gets firmly established....
What about the abortion thing?
This could give you jail time too....or even getting a vasectomy aparently, in some state....
Stupid laws with mandatory sentences can be described as cruel and unusual punishment in themselves!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Yep wes a veerin off topic here....
Listen, the minimums dont work....thats pretty much proven fact here....
The canadian Goverment is about to turn down the same road that has cost the Americans billions if not a trillion by now....
With more billions to come for housng these so called criminals whose crimes were no more violent than inhaling verbotten smoke,.......
The war on the hard druge has much the same consequences, and is not the way to reduce harm.
HIV,Hep B, C and D, not to mention the STDs etc that sll come as a result of illegalising what a person may ingest .......
Think many working girls would still be pounding the streets if they could get their perscrptions like normal?
an HIV rate only even half what we have now.....maybe less....
The revenue legalising recreational drugs would bring in.....
The gang problem would also be lessened as they rely on all these for resources....
Time to grow up and recognise true individual liberty means you can be a drug addict if you want to....just dont bother anyone else with it!
Many more punitive laws will be comming down the pike as the police state gets firmly established....
What about the abortion thing?
This could give you jail time too....or even getting a vasectomy aparently, in some state....
Stupid laws with mandatory sentences can be described as cruel and unusual punishment in themselves!

The only way things are going to change, is to vote in the only man who has stated over and over, that he will make these skewed laws a thing of the past.

Vote for Ron Paul.

Des

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Another way is to educate the masses. Another way is to refuse to accept what we are being fed 24/7. The POTUS whoever it is holding the office only has so much power. Just about everything Ron Paul wants would never pass the Senate or the House. The status quo is too vital to maintain to the "elite". It is only we the people that can fix this mess.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join