It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kevin Rudd Resigns as Foreign Minister

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Kevin Rudd Resigns as Foreign Minister

news.ninemsn.com.au

Kevin Rudd has quit as foreign minister in a shock press conference in Washington.

Mr Rudd said he felt he must resign after losing the confidence of Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

"The simple truth is that I cannot continue to serve as foreign minister if I do not have the Prime Minister's support," he said.

"I am sad because I love this job."

Mr Rudd said resigning was the "only honourable course of action" and added that he is doing so with a "genuinely heavy heart".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.smh.com.au
www.sbs.com.au

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well a few minutes ago Kevin Rudd announced live from Washington that he will be resigning as foreign minister because he doesn't feel as though he has enough support from our "elected" prime-minister (she wasn't elected by the people and I don't know why he even said that). Like he said, this whole recent series of events has been like a big soap opera, and it absolutely disgusts me. After Julia started to receive a bit of heat because it came to light that she planned to remove Rudd from power weeks before it actually happened, they started this whole silly game to deflect attention to petty things like the video of Rudd cursing and going off his head as he was attempting to do a speech. Clearly Julia's administration was behind that attack, everyone knows she will go to any length to get what she wants... and I don't blame him for resigning. He had an interesting choice of words when he spoke about the people pulling the strings.

At one point he stated something very close to "we need to take away power from the faceless men". I don't know if he resigned because he really wanted to, or because higher powers forced him to, but you could tell by the way he was speaking that he didn't really want to go. This whole thing has been completely laughable, and it's just more proof that our entire system is a complete joke not even worth my time. Here's a little hint for those young people who have yet to register to vote: do not register to vote, once you sign their form they control you, and they will fine you if you don't vote. However if you don't register (and they cannot force you to sign their piece of paper, it's a violation of Human rights), they have no legal basis for fining you when you don't vote. I mean who would want to vote in a system so corrupt? I will never ever participate in a system I know is broken. Either fix it or shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Or could this be K. Rudd firing the opening salvo in his bid to oust Gillard and retake the office of Prime Minister.
After all, you can't be Prime Minister and ALSO be Foreign Minister.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Nice thread OP. I just heard this on the radio myself. I agree he didn't want to resign.

I've never heard anybody (Australian Citizen) say that they like Julia Gillard. I really don't think she should be there and she was never voted in. It is also strange that Ruddy resigned while in Washington, is it not?

I really do believe that Ruddy had the best intentions for us Aussies and that Julia Gillard doesn't have any 'real' power or makes any 'real' decisions.

Q. What does Australia and McDonalds have in common?

A. They are both run by red-headed clowns

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

They also mentioned on the radio that (paraphrasing) "Kevin Rudd will be returning home to discuss his future with his family."

The way it was said I don't think they meant a run to PM.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I've never voted in my life, I never plan to vote! Why vote for something that you have no control over? Sure if I knew my vote was going to elect someone, voting is just a side show to make the masses believe there voices count.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'll have to look up the laws.

Do you need to be in office to run for PM?
or
Do you need to be not holding an office to run for PM?

Keating challenged Hawk when he was deputy... or was it finance? either way he challenged and won.

Kevin Rudd challenged Beazly I think while seated somewhere..

Poor Kev..

Julia's gone... there were 3 types of people in australia
Those who hate Julia
Those who like Rudd
and those who like Abbott.
They all just got put on the same side.. against gillard!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
GO RUDDY

I hope he gets the numbers then ditches the Ranga and her henchmen

and WTF is up with Simon Crean, what rock did he crawl out from under?
I have'nt seen him sniffing around for ages.

Labor has to put Rudd back in or face annihilation at the polls....wankas

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I agree Kevin is as shifty as they come and he dropped a few hints that hes got a better chance at the next election,this is a tactical manouver hes now free to cause as much damage as he can from the backbenches

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater
Nice thread OP. I just heard this on the radio myself. I agree he didn't want to resign.

I've never heard anybody (Australian Citizen) say that they like Julia Gillard. I really don't think she should be there and she was never voted in. It is also strange that Ruddy resigned while in Washington, is it not?

I really do believe that Ruddy had the best intentions for us Aussies and that Julia Gillard doesn't have any 'real' power or makes any 'real' decisions.

Q. What does Australia and McDonalds have in common?

A. They are both run by red-headed clowns

Or what did Canberra have in common with a fish and chip shop?

They both had flakey whiting that fried when put under heat.

silly jokes not needed really.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
No Australian PM is ever "elected by hte people" - it is a Westminster system where you elect a party (or a coalition) to govern, and the elected representatives choose hte PM.

Gillard was "elected" by her party just as Rudd was.

But what makes me laugh is "it was the honourable thing to do" bit - the idea of an honourable politician is an oxymoron isn't it??!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
If RUdd gets back in, you all get what you deserve.

That man is a dickhead.

simple.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

"There is no way that I will ever be party to a stealth attack on a sitting prime minister elected by the people," Rudd said.
"We all know what happened then was wrong, and it should never happen again

I guess he wont be then!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Good post , I am starting to switch on more to the state of things down under.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 22-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
As far as it looks to me is 2 complete failures squabbling over whos going to captain the titanic while its sinking,its pathetic and Australians deserve so much better

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

ha ha! They're all dickheads apart from a few independents.
The labor party is like watching Glee at the moment,
every one is screwing each other

It's all very entertaining

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
No Australian PM is ever "elected by hte people" - it is a Westminster system where you elect a party (or a coalition) to govern, and the elected representatives choose hte PM.

Gillard was "elected" by her party just as Rudd was.

But what makes me laugh is "it was the honourable thing to do" bit - the idea of an honourable politician is an oxymoron isn't it??!!

In the end, I guess voting is a scam here like it is in any other "free" country. The "parties" are 2 different sides of the same coin and the country will end up the same place eventually no matter which side of the coin is facing up.

If anybody stirs the pot (like trying to introduce mining taxes) then they are ousted, be it by their own party or whatever.
edit on 22/2/12 by GobbledokTChipeater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

The labor party is like watching Glee at the moment,
every one is screwing each other
It's all very entertaining
You summed up my feelings about this whole thing very nicely. Nothing but distracting entertainment for the sheep to make them forget about what sparked the whole thing in the first place.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

In the end, I guess voting is a scam here like it is in any other "free" country. The "parties" are 2 different sides of the same coin and the country will end up the same place eventually no matter which side of the coin is facing up.
I prefer to call it different cheeks of the same @rse
edit on 22-2-2012 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I was only just at a Peter Garrett forum today in Canberra and now this?

Wow is all I can say. But do wonder if he might do something as suggested above to seize the PM office. Or he just knew he didn't have the numbers so thought stuff it, I'm quittin'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join