It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Edgar Mitchell In New Florida Television Interview.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Dr. Edgar Mitchell.

Here we go...

Dr. Mitchell:

"After I got into the Apollo program, I became interested in Dr. J.B.Rhine’s work through some friends of mine who were pretty intelligent, intellectual people. So I started looking into it and looking at it very carefully and I realized that he was right. He and his colleague, Dr. Karlis Osis and a few others, had done some decent laboratory work. If they were right, then we in science were derelict in not trying to figure out how this works and clearly classical physics doesn’t provide enough evidence. His results were showing that this was possible and we ought to find out how it works.

That ignited my curiosity. I wondered: What’s going on here? Let’s figure it out. A couple of physicians whom I had met here in Florida when I was training were also interested and they kind of egged me on and said “Hey, why don’t you do an experiment from space and see if the distance makes any difference?”

Lo and behold, it turned out that it worked very well. As well as it did in the lab."

Interviewer:

"At that time this was just a private experiment but somehow it leaked to the media.

Dr. Mitchell:

"Well, it wasn’t somehow. There were four people on earth who were trying to get the information and one of them was a professional psychic (now dead), Olaf Johnson. He blabbed details of the experiment to the press shortly after our landing and even before we checked the results. Fortunately, J.B. Rhine was very delighted to check the results. He and Karlis Osis both checked the incoming data and they both came out with the same initial results.

We were going to do six periods of experiment and I was only able to do four, but my colleagues on earth made six sets of answers. Using that data, with the adjustment for the difference in the number of experiments, the probability of chance producing our results was one in 13,000.

Dr. Rhine contributed a report on this experiment that was published in the June 1971 edition of The Journal of Parapsychology."

www.mysterious-america.net...

Gotta love Dr. Mitchell. I don't think they make them like him anymore.

This might be as close as we get short of someone buying the book.

X.
edit on 20-2-2012 by Xoanon because: .

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by thesearchfortruth
Astronaut UFO sightings are very cool because they are so credible. Here is an interesting sighting I read about at NICAP.org

May 14, 1981; in space, from onboard the Soyuz T-4 spacecraft Cosmonauts Savinikh and Kovlenok observed a strange object from their space station. At first the object was 1/2 mile away but it eventually approached to a distance to 300 feet. Inside the cosmonauts saw three brown skin beings with slanted bright blue eyes. straight noses and bushy eyebrows. At a distance of 100 feet, the witnesses thought that the beings resembled mechanical robots. The beings facial expressions remained quite emotionless. The beings onboard the object requested close contact with the Soviet craft but this request was denied. Their craft shifted around erratically and from time to time it would vanish, but then reappear in an instant. Their craft seemed to be metallic, but it had no doors no solar batteries, no optical systems, no antennae and no marks or writing of any kind, it was spherical with eight windows and 16 other strange transparent illuminated spheres arranged throughout the hull. The cosmonauts also noticed quite normal looking armchairs, some devices, and walls inside the craft. Using a pair of powerful binoculars the cosmonauts saw the beings showing them what appeared to have been a star map. (HC addition # 3252, Source: Paul Stonehill, The Soviet UFO Files)

www.nicap.org...

Why would you believe this -- because it's on the Internet? Is there any evidence it was actually researched, or is it just another story out of the 'National Enquirer'?

NICAP did a good service in cataloguing all reports -- somebody's got to do it -- but I don't think they claim that the 'reports' have actually ever been investigated. Please correct me if I've misunderstood their stand on this.

It's from a book called 'The Soviet UFO Files'. I believe it because two cosmonauts reported seeing this UFO and apparently alien beings inside of the craft. I never claimed it was investigated.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon: www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_product_top
edit on 20-2-2012 by thesearchfortruth because: eta

edit on 20-2-2012 by thesearchfortruth because: edit to edit

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It's also bizarre that Mitchell trained for an Apollo moon mission in 1968-9 in a crew commanded by Gordon Cooper [who was later passed over for the actual flight due to sub-standard performance, and left NASA in a huff]. Now THAT'S a pair of pilots I'd have loved to have eavesdropped on during non-duty conversations!!

No doubt that Cooper told Mitchell about his UFO encounters. Seems odd that NASA would pass over Cooper who was one of the main hotshots of the era. Mitchell points out something that scientist are scared to grapple in regards to the vast number of stars and planets in the universe.

"How many civilizations are there?" -interviewer

"Billions" -Mitchell

Before anyone discredits what he says think about this. We are ignorant of the true nature of the universe and barely have stepped onto our front porch, the moon. We have yet to even probe another star system. I don't think humans are in the position to define if there is life out there or not.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesearchfortruth
It's from a book called 'The Soviet UFO Files'. I believe it because two cosmonauts reported seeing this UFO and apparently alien beings inside of the craft. I never claimed it was investigated.

A real truth searcher would seek out a balanced array of critiques of such stories, or of Stonehill's reliability in general. You don't seem at all interested in doing so, which is your perfect right -- but then I suggest you modify your screen name to the more accurate appellation, 'thesearchforhalftruth'.

The story you're referring to apparently originated on the pages of the Weekly World News, a sob-sister sibling of the National Enquirer. I've been unable to locate any reference to it in Russian -- please help show me, if it exists.

Kovalyonok did have a very interesting sighting of a morphing cloud below his spacecraft, in 1981 -- with all the trappings of a manmade missile or rocket launching. Interesting, but hardly earthshaking.

edit on 20-2-2012 by JimOberg because: misspelling

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well. Mitchell is certainly not a numbnut, a Navy flyer with three degrees under the belt, never mind what he is most noted for. He has mentioned time in Roswell as a teenager, or perhaps grew up there and if so at seventeen would include 1947. He is adamant about a Pentagon briefing, and also talking to older ex-military from their time around the Roswell events. He has never said that anyone in his conversations at the Pentagon or, with the ex-military, said that the original alien craft story was untrue, rather that it in fact, was true. Roswell is at the heart of what Mitchell is saying. That being so, there is no room for a middle ground argument like Mitchell has fell out of his tree, or was a bit nutty to begin with. Either Roswell was true or it wasn't. If the Pentagon briefing happened, then it has to be true, and the way that Mitchell has described it or, he is simply lying. Of course there is also the reasoning that being briefed at the Pentagon on Roswell is a pretty novel event, which puts him away ahead of most of the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There is a reason why he is able to talk about what he does. If the gov't really wanted him to keep quite they sure know how to make someone keep quite. In the video he never said he has seen one but he believes in them from what he has experience with. So he is like us with no hard concrete evidence but he certainly has the credentials to think if he believes in them then there is a good shot he is right.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
////Either Roswell was true or it wasn't. If the Pentagon briefing happened, then it has to be true, and the way that Mitchell has described it or, he is simply lying. ...

Smurfy, these are pretty naive words. In the real world, people like to tell stories that bring them attention, Especially ex astronauts, and the more EX, the more they like telling stories.

Go visit some VFW picnic and try to reconstruct the history of WW2 from the stories the old guys tell. They aren't lying, They have just dramatized their memories step by step by step.

We can see that precisely, in Gordon Cooper's stories -- how they evolve year by year and how they change to place him closer and closer to the center of action. This is a normal process in oral history, and is neither a reflection of dishonesty or senility -- it's just the way human memory edits itself to serve the memory holder's needs.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Apollo-15 moonwalker Jim Irwin, a sweet human being now departed, was certain that Noah's Ark was really atop Mt. Ararat, and at risk to his own life undertook climbs there, in search of it.

Hey, he was an astronaut -- shouldn't we believe him?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

Dr. Mitchell: ....
We were going to do six periods of experiment and I was only able to do four, but my colleagues on earth made six sets of answers. Using that data, with the adjustment for the difference in the number of experiments, the probability of chance producing our results was one in 13,000. Dr. Rhine contributed a report on this experiment that was published in the June 1971 edition of The Journal of Parapsychology."

Gotta love Dr. Mitchell. I don't think they make them like him anymore.

I asked about the original paper, and the raw experiment results, so an independent researcher could verify the claimed odds. So far -- nobody has found it.

Is that how you decide on what to believe? Somebody makes a claim you enjoy believing, and you make SURE not to double check it or seek more insights into the background of the claim?

That's your right, of course.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

////Either Roswell was true or it wasn't. If the Pentagon briefing happened, then it has to be true, and the way that Mitchell has described it or, he is simply lying. ...

Smurfy, these are pretty naive words. In the real world, people like to tell stories that bring them attention, Especially ex astronauts, and the more EX, the more they like telling stories.

Go visit some VFW picnic and try to reconstruct the history of WW2 from the stories the old guys tell. They aren't lying, They have just dramatized their memories step by step by step.

We can see that precisely, in Gordon Cooper's stories -- how they evolve year by year and how they change to place him closer and closer to the center of action. This is a normal process in oral history, and is neither a reflection of dishonesty or senility -- it's just the way human memory edits itself to serve the memory holder's needs.

Not naive Jim, just basic questions. Did the Pentagon briefing take place, (when did it take place is important) was Mitchell in Roswell NM in 1947, did he meet ex-military concerned with Roswell in latter times. That he undertook experiments authorised or otherwise in ESP or whatever in his missions, or that he has his own ideas about a unified universe is not relevant. In fact Mitchell's 'storytelling' is very simplistic and consistent over the years. So I can't go for the innuendo, I have had that experience myself, and having had Wiki to correct a story involving me, I call it 'Fuzzy history' all mundane stuff but twisted, not embellished, for a reason.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Not naive Jim, just basic questions. Did the Pentagon briefing take place, (when did it take place is important) was Mitchell in Roswell NM in 1947, did he meet ex-military concerned with Roswell in latter times. That he undertook experiments authorised or otherwise in ESP or whatever in his missions, or that he has his own ideas about a unified universe is not relevant. In fact Mitchell's 'storytelling' is very simplistic and consistent over the years. So I can't go for the innuendo, I have had that experience myself, and having had Wiki to correct a story involving me, I call it 'Fuzzy history' all mundane stuff but twisted, not embellished, for a reason.

OK. No objection here...

Sometimes we can't get answers to the questions we want to ask, so we have to ask other questions peripheral to the central theme.

I've seen Mitchell's original space ESP data. His data review is horrifying naive -- he kept massaging what was essentially random results, changing the evaluation criteria as he went along, until he found statistical significance he liked. He drew the bullseye on the taget AFTER the arrow had already been shot into it.-- several differnet times.

That told me all I really needed to know about how far I could take any uncheckable claim of his re the paranormal on his word alone. He is a sweet man who really wants to believe all this, and more than 40 years ago he devoted his life to ESP research -- so where are the results he so condidently promised when he left the astronaut program?

Maybe that's why the raw data is NOT available on the Internet?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
There is a reason why he is able to talk about what he does. If the gov't really wanted him to keep quite they sure know how to make someone keep quite. In the video he never said he has seen one but he believes in them from what he has experience with. So he is like us with no hard concrete evidence but he certainly has the credentials to think if he believes in them then there is a good shot he is right.

'he certainly has the credentials' that is true,
'to think if he believes in them then there is a good shot he is right.' does not follow. What does though is the same thinking now by many people in the scientific field. The sticking point is in how did Arnold Schwarzenegger get here from light years away??

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

A real researcher would already know that the story was true, because they would be investigating real cases, with real witnesses, and probably already had their own, real sitings.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

A real researcher would already know that the story was true, because they would be investigating real cases, with real witnesses, and probably already had their own, real sitings.

I've lost track of who you're referring to here and which cases -- sorry.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I've seen Mitchell's summary and best-spin interpretation of the results, but the actual raw data appears to be unavailable to the public -- I wonder why?

Have you checked in this source for his data?

Mitchell et al.
1974 Psychic exploration: a challenge for science

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepainweaver

I've seen Mitchell's summary and best-spin interpretation of the results, but the actual raw data appears to be unavailable to the public -- I wonder why?

Have you checked in this source for his data?

Mitchell et al.
1974 Psychic exploration: a challenge for science

I'm looking for any online data. I have the hardcopy of the 1971 magazine article.

I'm just puzzled why, in the 40 years since then, the original article and online data have never been published on the Internet. Why not. if it's so important?

One theory: the raw data does not support the conclusions and summaries being promoted.

Other theories are possible.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You make it sound as if Weekly World news is not a credible source. Hell, Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones used it as their bible when they were enlisted in Sector 7 Men in Black.

Maybe you should do some research before spewing utter nonsense. WWN is more credible than CNN

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It seems it's exactly what I've thought it is.

The government is aware, but they just don't know enough about them. Perhaps ET is just as elusive to the USG as they are to us. With that in mind, they don't want the public to know that they don't have a handle on the situation, and that they're just as lost as we are.

That's what I think is going on here.

Or maybe there HAS been an interaction of some sort and they just don't want us to know for whatever reasons... Bottom line is, the government knows ET exists (that I can guarantee), but that might be all.

So we just wait and see... No reason to chase and scrutinize grainy youtube videos.

When ET wants to interact, they'll interact. In the meantime I'll just live my life and hope one day I wake up to everyone swarming their TV's because 1st contact has happened or has been revealed...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
He's a smart man and so that lends him some credibility as far as hearing him out, but he's said himself he has no DIRECT knowledge of alien/ufo existance.. he has no insider information from his time at NASA .. what he knows, he gathered the same way you and I do it . research, reading and talking to other people.

I guess what I'm saying is he doesn't know anything we don't know..

"They've been observing us for quite sometime and we see these craft all the time."

He admits to never seeing an EBE but says he believes the people who say they have.

This is not your typical persons knowledge of UFO's. They may have glimpsed a UFO once in their life but certainly they do not "see these craft all the time." Without any question, Edgar Mitchell still has all his marbles and is privy to information none of us have even heard whispered.

edit on 21-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

So what's your take on Dr Mitchell Jimbo?

You're the resident NASA insider. I remember hearing Dr Mitchell say he obtained all his information regarding these statements from high ranking military and intelligence people and not from NASA.

Is he a wacko or what?

Is he considered a wacko by NASA?

Do they not like him making these statements?

If he is not a wacko, why would he jeopardise his credibility this way?
edit on 21/2/1212 by Krusty the Klown because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join