It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Edgar Mitchell In New Florida Television Interview.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DARREN1976

Originally posted by JimOberg

So far, IMHO, he hasn't. But we remain friends with mutual personal and professional respect.

I do not believe your personally aquainted with Edgar Mitchell, pics or it didnt happen!!
(sorry Jim, couldnt resist!)

A commendably cautious approach, as long as you apply it equally to all claimants!

Check out my home page profile photo section for me and astronauts, Having worked
at NASA from 1975 to 1997 I'm personally acquainted with a hundred or more astronauts,
and now that I'm a big-time space writer, I've met many more -- and cosmonauts too.
Mitchell has even given me comments for several key articles I've written on space
exploration strategies. It's too bad his blog, where he participated frequently in discussions,
was terminated a few years ago -- www.edmitchellapollo14.com...

edit on 23-2-2012 by JimOberg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

All this video shows is that the producers do a voice-over of a cosmonaut talking, but you have no clue what he's really saying.

Мой дед был ведущим тенором на Дону казачий хор

Do not presume that I have no clue Herr Oberg... if you are indeed the REAL Herr Oberg

Your writing style over several posts has been noticeably different. A few other things too.. but the real Jim Oberg knows my Russian connection... either that or your memory is slipping these days

Do you recall our chat about that 'closet ufologist' thing?

edit on 23-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

All this video shows is that the producers do a voice-over of a cosmonaut talking, but you have no clue what he's really saying.

Мой дед был ведущим тенором на Дону казачий хор

Do not presume that I have no clue Herr Oberg... if you are indeed the REAL Herr Oberg

Your writing style over several posts has been noticeably different. A few other things too.. but the real Jim Oberg knows my Russian connection... either that or your memory is slipping these days

Do you recall our chat about that 'closet ufologist' thing?

So what is Afanasyev really saying? With the English-language voiceover I couldn't make anything out.

Put up or shut up, malchik.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

So far, IMHO, he hasn't. But we remain friends with mutual personal and professional respect.

I do not believe your personally aquainted with Edgar Mitchell, pics or it didnt happen!!
(sorry Jim, couldnt resist!)

A commendably cautious approach, as long as you apply it equally to all claimants!

Check out my home page profile photo section for me and astronauts, Having worked
at NASA from 1975 to 1997 I'm personally acquainted with a hundred or more astronauts,
and now that I'm a big-time space writer, I've met many more -- and cosmonauts too.
Mitchell has even given me comments for several key articles I've written on space
exploration strategies. It's too bad his blog, where he participated frequently in discussions,
was terminated a few years ago -- www.edmitchellapollo14.com...

edit on 23-2-2012 by JimOberg because: (no reason given)

Easy tiger!! how do I know those documents and web sites are not faked huh? can you provide definitive proof of your claims? not video or pics of you meeting him as we all know they can be photoshopped, the only way I would even begin to believe you is if you met me face to face with Dr. Mitchell!!
Only pulling your leg Jim, its good to laugh, such as this forum rarely see's (unless its sarcasm or ridicule, which does happen often on here dont you agree?)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Only pulling your leg Jim, its good to laugh, such as this forum rarely see's (unless its sarcasm or ridicule, which does happen often on here dont you agree?)

We need to be able to laugh at ourselves as well as at others. It's sad to see so many folks taking things so seriously, it seems to be the current political climate, alas.

Maybe I ought to get a few gallery shots of me posing with Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein. It could deflate some of the pomposity involved in any 'ego gallery', the kind you see on restaurant and office walls a lot.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

We need to be able to laugh at ourselves as well as at others. It's sad to see so many folks taking things so seriously, it seems to be the current political climate, alas.

Maybe I ought to get a few gallery shots of me posing with Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein. It could deflate some of the pomposity involved in any 'ego gallery', the kind you see on restaurant and office walls a lot.

Good point, but then thats also a 2-edged sword, you could be accused of egotism yourself for showing pictures of you posing with celebrity giants, as for me myself, I dont judge anyone until they give me good enough reason too (bad enough reason to?)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
It's just a bit disingenuous when people lead with "a US astronaut says aliens are real!". It implies he's seen them or knows secretive NASA information that the rest of us don't have. Which is untrue.
I think aliens are quite plausible, BTW.

What I find hilarious is how many people on ATS are 100% sure that the Government is lying to us and covering it all up, that NASA is lying to us and air brushing images, but when someone like Edgar come out and states his opinion, people automatically assume its 'just his opinion, he can't really know'

Does no one else see the irony?

If NASA is indeed keeping secrets there is NO WAY any astronaut can come out and say so other than 'personal opinion' and repeatedly make disclaimers that NASA is innocent.

And Jimbo is always right there on queue whenever NASA is brought up... almost like a paging system

Carry on... I need more popcorn

Munch away...while you continue to present no evidence whatsoever to support your opinion...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of his videos but this short one is a nice one indeed and he has my respect.
Thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Munch away...while you continue to present no evidence whatsoever to support your opinion...

Been there done that in a hundred threads....

I am on vacation

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

"Dr" Mitchell is the original cosmic nut job! His accomplishments as an astronaut cannot be denied or downplayed. However, everything he spouts that has nothing to do with his former career is the same old b.s. that is spewed by believers. He has no evidence and he just uses his past accomplishments to gain an audience to his rants. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary and he has never said he has. He just picked up the popular line and ran with it and he's admired by believers because he's feeding them his beliefs which are also theirs.

I'm sure rational thinkers will ignore him.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
reply to post by Xoanon

"Dr" Mitchell is the original cosmic nut job! His accomplishments as an astronaut cannot be denied or downplayed. However, everything he spouts that has nothing to do with his former career is the same old b.s. that is spewed by believers. He has no evidence and he just uses his past accomplishments to gain an audience to his rants. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary and he has never said he has. He just picked up the popular line and ran with it and he's admired by believers because he's feeding them his beliefs which are also theirs.

I don't know if you have read Mitchell's book "The Way of the Explorer". It seemed like a good book to me. I liked the way he identified the problem of the artificial division between science and spirituality. Maybe someone who has read more in these areas would have a different impression, but I thought he had some good ideas.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

reply to post by Xoanon

I don't know if you have read Mitchell's book "The Way of the Explorer". It seemed like a good book to me. I liked the way he identified the problem of the artificial division between science and spirituality. Maybe someone who has read more in these areas would have a different impression, but I thought he had some good ideas.

I did not read "The Way of the Explorer" as it is not aimed at me, an atheist. That book is the product of an irrational mind for only an irrational mind could use terms such as "spirituality" which belongs in the realm of the religious believer. I deal with common sense, reason, and logic and you are not going to find them in such a book. The problem with believers is that they do not deal with the real world but a world of fantasy.

It is one thing to have fantasies as we all have from time to time but it is another thing to think that the world of fantasy is real. It isn't, it exists only in the mind. Spirituality has nothing to do with reality.

I find it to be a shame that such and educated and accomplished person can still spout unbelievable crap and believe the crap from others and repeat them as if they had any validity beyond what he gives them.

From wikipedia:
sci·ence - noun
1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.
2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.
4. systematized knowledge in general.
5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.

spir·it·u·al·i·ty
noun
1. the quality or fact of being spiritual.
2. incorporeal or immaterial nature.
3. predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.
4. Often, spiritualities. property or revenue of the church or of an ecclesiastic in his or her official capacity.

edit on 25-2-2012 by The Shrike because: To add comment.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I did not read "The Way of the Explorer" as it is not aimed at me, an atheist. That book is the product of an irrational mind for only an irrational mind could use terms such as "spirituality" which belongs in the realm of the religious believer. I deal with common sense, reason, and logic and you are not going to find them in such a book. The problem with believers is that they do not deal with the real world but a world of fantasy.

It is one thing to have fantasies as we all have from time to time but it is another thing to think that the world of fantasy is real. It isn't, it exists only in the mind. Spirituality has nothing to do with reality.

I find it to be a shame that such and educated and accomplished person can still spout unbelievable crap and believe the crap from others and repeat them as if they had any validity beyond what he gives them.

Most people can compartmentalize science and spirituality in their minds, because science is about today's reality and spirituality is a fantasy to give certainty to the unknown. Even atheism is a fantasy, because it claims that we know more than we really do.

Mitchell had some odd experiences including a state of mind where he felt oneness with the universe. So he couldn't compartmentalize anymore. I don't know if that's rational or irrational, but it's understandable.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
In the one calibrated case of Dr. Mitchell describing a paranormal event, we have the Apollo-14 ESP experiment where we can compare the raw data with the spin that Dr. Mitchell and his supporters have placed onto it. Does anyone even admit that sich an exercise -- if undertaken open-mindedly -- might provide guidance in how far to accept as credible other claims of a similar nature from the same source?

Or do we just speculate endlessly, helplessly, hopelessly, forever?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Here we just speculate endlessly, helplessly, hopelessly, forever.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Seems you have gullibly swallowed the NASA hype about square-jawed super-human hero-astronauts who can stretch no stories, can walk on water, and can put their pants on two legs at a time. Are you really so mesmerized by NASA propaganda? [grin]

Well they HAD to be supermen... who else would survive a trip to the Moon in these tin cans?

I mean it looks like its made out of CARDBOARD...

This thing is held together with pop rivets and duct tape... Look at how those plates have buckled. here is NO WAY a human could survive in a tin can like that. The air would leak out so fast

:shk: Anyone who buys that hu-mons went to the moon in THAT contraption are the gullible ones

What did they do? have a hit and run in with one of those 'Bogies'?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Oh look I found where they got the parts from

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Oh puh-lease, your rhetoric is remarkably transparent. Being an atheist does not mean you are necessarily rational, and a beacon of common sense, and logic. Your statement that the book is obviously a product "of an irrational mind" is merely an abusive ad hominem in an attempt to smear the man. Pathetic.

Since I've seen little indication that you even grasp what it means to do science my guess is you have no academic credentials whatsoever. You're just a potty-mouthed atheist internet critic with no serious interest in metaphysics, what *you* think is science is nothing more than a caricature.
edit on 26-2-2012 by jclmavg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

In the one calibrated case of Dr. Mitchell describing a paranormal event, we have the Apollo-14 ESP experiment where we can compare the raw data with the spin that Dr. Mitchell and his supporters have placed onto it. Does anyone even admit that sich an exercise -- if undertaken open-mindedly -- might provide guidance in how far to accept as credible other claims of a similar nature from the same source?

Poisoning the well again, Jim? Remarkable, I doubt your attempt at ad hominems go unnoticed.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jclmavg

Poisoning the well again, Jim? Remarkable, I doubt your attempt at ad hominems go unnoticed.

Seriously, is it your intention that people do NOT look at the Mitchell space ESP paper, and only use the author's OWN abbreviated PR version?

Is that being open-minded?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join