It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

uhhh what?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

dogfacts.wordpress.com... eh thats some what of a myth its more has to do with their prey drive and their unwillingness to give in until their bodies give out as one of the things that is true is that they have legendary pain tolerance its usually refereed to as gaminess

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_
Guess which dog breed was the most decorated ever military dog was??? Hell it saved so many lives in its missions the dog died a REAL Sergeant... its not part of its name...

Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Seicheprey (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence and, as he had done on the front, was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. After being gassed himself, Stubby learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the thankful women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. There is also a legend that while in Paris with Corporal Conroy, Stubby saved a young girl from being hit by a car. At the end of the war, Conroy smuggled Stubby home.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 19-2-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

Wow that is an awesome story. I am surprised I had not heard of it before. Having raised and bread Pitbulls and being around that culture ( not the media hype culture) I have heard many a story of their exceptional feats of accomplishment but that is one of the best I have ever heard thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Nancy Grace? Really? But yes,I believe they should be banned.They're nasty dogs.They're bred to be the way they are.And for anyone who says 'its the owner,not the dog'. Bull# and you know it.Certain breeds are just not meant to be kept as pets.Pit Bulls being the #1 choice.

Your a foolish a person. If this is truly what you believe, I can say with 100% certainty that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I say this as a person who has owned pitbulls and I can tell you my last pitbull was the most gentle animal I had ever owned. My cat used to beat it up daily...and the cat has no claws.

The fact is, Pitbulls have a very long history and it was not until the 1980's that they got the reputation of being vicious animals, oddly enough it was the during the 1980's that these animals also earned a reputation as fighting dogs.

So you can cry BS all you want, I cna tell you for a fact it is the owner not the breed.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by cryptographrix

What exactly is the proof of? Proof of bullying a pet? Since all I see is a dog being submissive in stance to an authority figure. You picked the wrong picture.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't think Pits need banned, but I would absolutely like to see permitting of that breed and a few others. They may not *ALL* be dangerous, but the documented cases with the Pits are there and they are brutal, even by animal attack standards.

In personal experience, my neighbor across the street has 2 pits and up to 4 at various times over the years. I'm in his house frequently and the dogs know me. Unlike other dogs, those Pits have never been indifferent to my presence. My own dogs and all others I've been around might check me out and even pay attention to me for a brief period but then lose interest. With the Pits he's has and have had though..they're always watching or keyed to focus on the slightest change or movement. It's unnerving. He's done nothing to make them mean and they aren't..that I've seen openly anyway. Just that sense of coiled energy....

In my opinion it's one of a small handful of dog breeds I'd simply like to see a warning put on about adult supervision and mature owners. They sure don't seem to be a breed inclined to be forgiving to idiots or humans who piss them off.

link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Yes, they should. There are huge amounts of deaths at the hands (paws :lol
of Pit Bulls, especially in Australia/US.

Alright let's ban guns while were at it. I detest the things, I think they have no real purpose in existence. Weapons... pointless tools.

There is a far, far greater amount of deaths attributable to weapons of all forms. So I say ban them all. Of course you can argue that they're just tools that were in the wrong hands, of course I'll just argue that Pit Bulls were just in the wrong homes. Which they were. If you're going to start banning things because someone messed it up let's start with guns of all kinds imho.

link   
America's Nanny Dog

Remember “Little House on the Prairie”? The trusted family pet “Jack the Brindle dog” was a pit bull. Jack was not the only pit bull famous for being a faithful family dog, as Helen Keller's beloved companion was also a pit bull. Then there was Petey, the dog from “The Little Rascals” who was indeed an American pit bull terrier.

It seems that many people have forgotten how America has loved this breed over time, and have forgotten that many choose this breed of dog today for a reliable and loving family dog. This was the breed that was affectionately known as “America's Nanny Dog.”

TPTB have been and continue to strive to systematically removing anything and everything ‘we’ once cherished in the Nation. From our traditions to our ideals right down to our most beloved family dogs. Ask yourself why the ‘hype’ over pit bulls? Answer that one yourself.

That being said? Any parent who leaves a 72 hour baby alone with ANY DOG - is responsible for the childs death. Period.

Look at this one from just a day or so ago!

Alberta family's pet husky kills newborn infant

A newborn boy was killed by the family husky in Airdrie, Alta., say police. RCMP say the family dog attacked the newborn infant Wednesday morning, causing serious trauma to the child.

But did this article cause a stir? No. In fact the article is only 3 very small paragraphs long. Why? Because in my opinion the dog is a huskey not the dreaded pit bull.

It seems the informative opinion of the author in the other article agrees with me.

It seems that the term “pit bull” is only splashed across the headlines when the story is negative. Unfortunately, fear and negativity sells, and this breed is paying the price. If only we were to take the time to look beyond the negative hype, we would find the truth about pit bulls.

Now let’s look at some real facts.

According to rigorous testing by The National Canine Temperament Testing Association, the golden retriever, poodle, border collie, English setter, German pointer and numerous other breeds are considered more likely to become aggressive than pit bulls.

The average score of the 122 breeds tested was a mere 77 percent. Pit bulls scored a 95.2 percent on these testings. (The higher the better.)

Not only have pit bulls scored extremely well on temperament tests, but they have been serving key roles in search and rescue efforts, excel in agility training and work nationwide as therapy and service dogs.

I’ve had pit bulls, I have one now. I’ve owned other dogs. The worst ‘biter’ I ever had? A Jack Russell I raised from a pup who would latch onto anything and everything no matter how much love and gentle caring I gave it. For the most part I agree with 'there's no bad dogs only bad owners' - but there are exceptions to every rule, even this one.

So no, I’ll not say one breed is ‘better’ than the other as each dog is an individual and has it’s own favorable and unfavorable characteristics but I’d never hesitate to trust a pit bull - for me. Though I’d never trust ANY DOG with a baby. Ever.

Here’s my pit bull Luci - my best friend and one I know who would never ever turn her back on me. Or turn on me. Ever. But even Luci I’d never leave alone with a child.

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Alright let's ban guns while were at it. I detest the things, I think they have no real purpose in existence. Weapons... pointless tools.

There is a far, far greater amount of deaths attributable to weapons of all forms. So I say ban them all. Of course you can argue that they're just tools that were in the wrong hands, of course I'll just argue that Pit Bulls were just in the wrong homes. Which they were. If you're going to start banning things because someone messed it up let's start with guns of all kinds imho.
Guns are already banned over here.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Guns are already banned over here.

But unfortunately not here yet.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by elouina

Now take a dog that has the potential to be aggressive.

any animal has the potential to be aggressive, any animal. pits get singled out because of Jaw strength...

About the aggression potential... You hit that one spot on! And jaw strength is also to be be considered with any pet around a child. Why chance it? Common sense... Which is more important to you, your baby or a dog? Us parents spend our lives protecting our children from every possible harm inside and outside the home. Why should this be any different?

would you like me to bring the entire post up or do you want to edit my intent to fit your purpose, you decide its ATS and middle of the night and well not a mod to be found

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Oh yeah, and I just managed to get the cat and rabbit all chilling there while I had the dog scared to death of me.

I think not!

Read my posts in the thread.

The dog on the right is an American Pit Bull Terrier. This is when he was almost 3 years old.

The Norwegian Forest cat in the middle was 6 at the time.

The rabbit was a couple months old.

This was on a random summer day in 2008. The pit bull grew up with the cat, and the rabbit came later.

And neither the cat nor the rabbit ever became food.

Nor did I, or my roommates, or random babies on the street.

I live in NYC. Population density is not insignificant.

If you can't come to grips with the dog in this picture being just like any other dog in any picture you've seen because he's a Pit Bull, you are leading a sadder life for it.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
www.parade.com...
www.dogsbite.org...
www.realpitbull.com...
www.pitbulllovers.com...
happypitbull.com...

various and sometimes redundant sites discussing popular myths concerning the breed
even included a differing opinion from mine just to see if any one reads the links
edit on 19-2-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cryptographrix

That is a picture of a dog in submission. Obviously he wasn't thrilled about being made to stand there while you took your picture. Although he may be happy around the other pets at other times. Like I said, you picked the wrong picture.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Oh, lastly - I didn't take the picture - my roommate did.

He's NOT being submissive to her, he's waking up - a moment before this picture was taken, that cat was between his legs curled up.

Repeating yourself doesn't make you less wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This whole topic is ridiculous!!!

Pit Bulls are not "killing machines" , I have seen a few that are sweet as angels!! I really do believe it is how you raise and BREED a dog that makes it into a killer

No, we should not BAN Pitbulls, but we should start educating people on what responsible dog ownership means ............ and also we should probably STOP listening to Nancy freaking Grace!!!!

She is an idiot!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
AHHHH PITBULLLSSS!!!!!

Just vicious and evil animals.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Nancy Grace? Really? But yes,I believe they should be banned.They're nasty dogs.They're bred to be the way they are.And for anyone who says 'its the owner,not the dog'. Bull# and you know it.Certain breeds are just not meant to be kept as pets.Pit Bulls being the #1 choice.

Your a foolish a person. If this is truly what you believe, I can say with 100% certainty that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I say this as a person who has owned pitbulls and I can tell you my last pitbull was the most gentle animal I had ever owned. My cat used to beat it up daily...and the cat has no claws.

The fact is, Pitbulls have a very long history and it was not until the 1980's that they got the reputation of being vicious animals, oddly enough it was the during the 1980's that these animals also earned a reputation as fighting dogs.

So you can cry BS all you want, I cna tell you for a fact it is the owner not the breed.

And I can say with 100% certainty you have no clue what you're talking about either.Leave it to a pitbull owner to try and defend them.So you're one out out of what,20 who's pitbull hasn't been aggresive?Spare me dude.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

And I can say with 100% certainty you have no clue what you're talking about either.Leave it to a pitbull owner to try and defend them.So you're one out out of what,20 who's pitbull hasn't been aggresive?Spare me dude.

I sense a troll in the dungeon.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Man, that Nancy Grace is annoying! Pitbulls should not be banned! Any dog could be dangerous around an infant, and therefore they should not be left alone with one without an adult present. I think poor parenting should be banned, but who am I to say? These are powerful dogs and need to be respected as such. Tragic circumstances can happen at any time, and even in a split second. This happens to be one such instance.

I have been around Pitbulls, and they happen to be like any other dog in terms of temperament. However, a prospective owner should consider doing their homework before adopting such a breed. Reading up on them, checking the history of the breeder, taking them to a professional dog trainer to evaluate their behavior for signs of aggression, and utilizing other preventive measures to mitigate incidents like the one discussed in the OP. It is a tragic story, and I feel for the family. However, incidents like this one and others can be avoided. So I am against a ban on the breed. Why give the government more reasons to take stuff away? They have already taken away enough as far as I am concerned. When this breed comes to mind I think of Petey from the "Little Rascals."

All those years working with small children and not one incident of violence reported. Yet, bureaucrats are screaming to high heaven to take another liberty away? I would hope people don't succumb to the sensationalism and paranoia being spoon fed by the media. Just my two cents.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join