It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Guess which dog breed was the most decorated ever military dog was??? Hell it saved so many lives in its missions the dog died a REAL Sergeant... its not part of its name...

Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Seicheprey (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence and, as he had done on the front, was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. After being gassed himself, Stubby learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the thankful women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. There is also a legend that while in Paris with Corporal Conroy, Stubby saved a young girl from being hit by a car. At the end of the war, Conroy smuggled Stubby home.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 19-2-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

www.understand-a-bull.com... big old list of dog bites as well as breed listings...

www.dailymail.co.uk...
border collie

www.topix.com...
labrador

www.azcentral.com...
Chow
www.vancouversun.com... husky
articles.latimes.com... Dachshund also www.dogbiteclaims.co.uk...
Cane Corso Mastiff www.huliq.com...
www.dogforums.com... various others including a fatality from a jack Russel terrier....all dogs will bite if provoked or in strange situations some dogs will bite only an IDIOT leaves any animal but a fish alone with their kids let alone an animal that could potently out weigh them

www.dogsbite.org... they do lead that one in maulings ill give ya that and deaths but out of all the attacks to have such few fatalities is in of its self an interesting statistic. this link www.dogsbite.org... seems to state that how the dogs are kept is a huge factor(the chaining in the yard) so owners are one of the major factors in dogs behavior although some rescues can come with pre-existing conditions from previous homes or shelter life that give them a not so normal dog attitude.

TextStudy highlights A matched case-control design comprising 178 pairs of dogs (about 18% of all reported dog bites in the testing area) was used. Cases were selected from dogs reported to Denver Animal Control in 1991 for a first-bite episode of a nonhousehold member that required medical treatment. The median age of the bite victims was 12 years (range, 1 to 83 years); 64.7% of bite victims were males. Of the 83 bite victims, aged 12 and younger, 33 (40%) were bitten on the face, head or neck. When indicated on the bite report forms, 75.8% of all incidents, 32 (23.7%) of bites were recorded as severe. Bite report forms indicated where the bite episode occurred for 101 (56.7%) of the incidents. Of these, 51 (50.5%) took place on the sidewalk, street, alley or playground; 30 (29.7%) in the owner's yard; 14 (13.9%) in the owner's house; and 4 (4.0%) in the victim's yard. Dogs predominantly of chihuahua, golden retriever, labrador retriever, poodle, Scottish terrier, and Shetland sheepdog breeds were more common among nonbiting than among the biting dogs. None of the cases and only one control dog was a pit bull terrier. Dogs predominantly of German shepherd, chow chow, collie and akita breeds were substantially more frequent among biting than nonbiting dogs. The total numbers of dogs mainly collie (n=9) and akita (n=5) breeds were small compared to the total numbers of German shepherd (n=47) and chow chows (n=40). Biting dogs were significantly more likely to reside in homes with one or more children, ages 10 years and younger, and to be chained while in the yard. Of the 83 chained dogs, 44 (53%) had growled or snapped at visitors to the house. This same behavior, however, was reported in unchained dogs 44% of the time.
from above source and its available for down-lode as well and finally nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com... this further clarifies what actually constitutes a dog bite and shows that dog bites have been on the decline since 1971 so i dont think any dog needs to be exterminated or banned as then they will just keep moving on down the list until we cant own any animal that could ever potentially hurt a human ever so punish the deed not the breed

www.badassoftheweek.com... oh yeah and this little gem this dog did more then most people on this web site ever will and possibly even more highly decorated then alot of former military members on this site our masscot during the wars

edit on 19-2-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I remember when I was in the 7th grade, I was talking with a neighbor friend, and two Labradors that had escaped from our other neighbor's yard came running around, attacked a cat next to my neighbor, and my neighbor ended up getting bitten about 4 times down her arm and hand. Thought they were going to rip her to shreds, police came and everything.

The breed doesn't scare me, the treatment of the animal does, because that's ultimately what defines the behavior, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
You can generally tell by looking at the owner and what they have in their backyard if they have a dog that can be trusted... If it is a pit bull owner it doesn't take long to tell what to expect from their dog... I have known people that made their living by fighting their dog and the dog was fine with everybody including their children and other kids in the neighborhood... I knew of another fighting dog that would attack anything that moved, especially kids on bikes.. That dog tried to eat a lawnmower that was running....I have always had dogs but I chose not to ever own a pit bull after studying everything I could get my hands on about the breed in the mid 1970s... Unlike other breeders, most do not share the pedigree with anyone due to the fighting sport... If someone knows what your dog that is a proven winner's pedigree is, they can breed dogs from the same bloodlines.... An American Stratfordshire Terrier is identical in appearance to a Pit Bull but have been bred with care to eliminate the aggressiveness. In court cases where a kid or another dog was bitten and a picture of your Stratfordshire Terrier is shown and described as a Pit Bull you will be in far worse shape legally than if you had a different breed.... I have only seen one Pit Bull that wasn't a very calm and affectionate dog..

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by _R4t_

And does an animal with a peanut brain recognize a baby as a human? Or even as a superior?

Dogs just like any animals will recognize only three things...

-Whats bigger then them...
-Whats smaller then them...
-Who feeds them...

Its a dog with hunting instincts if you don't train it to ignore its instincts it will do what its instincts dictates him...

Take a look at humans as an example, we're by far more intelligent that dogs yet we are still prone to ferociously fight for what we consider "ours" as much as animals can show territorial aggression without even taking the time to consider whether or not it make sense or is founded in anything with ground to start with... Just because its "yours" it cannot be wrong or touched by someone else...

Just like eople that says they should be banned probably never been even close to a pitbull and yet still defend your point that's stating the dogs their points have no experience with should be banned...
edit on 19-2-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Nancy Grace? Really? But yes,I believe they should be banned.They're nasty dogs.They're bred to be the way they are.And for anyone who says 'its the owner,not the dog'. Bull# and you know it.Certain breeds are just not meant to be kept as pets.Pit Bulls being the #1 choice.

well lets look here at another well thought out reply and put things into perspective.

And just how would you enforce that age limit?Have to add your birthday when registering?Or better yet,fax a copy of your id over to ats?have to use a credit card with that to prove you are who you say??All of those options just...suck.There's plenty of young posters here who leave well thought out replies(rise against comes to mind).It's not age it's just a matter of intelligence in my book.There's ignorant people of all ages.

Yeah that's you defending a no age limit ATS. what do you think here, hmmm just let it go or what?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

Back to the Ethnic peoples

LOL Ethnic peoples

which breeds of people are ethnic and which arent?

Last I checked, people ("ethnic" or not) aren't purposely inbred for fighting the way Pit Bull historically are

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Remember, we are talking about animals driven by instint, not an IQ like humans. And baby does not rank equally with the adult humans. That is the numero uno problem from the get go.

Dog Psychology 101: Understand How Your Dog Thinks - You Control Your Dog

Dogs are born with inherited instincts. Regardless of what people may think, our dogs are not humans. Our pet dogs live in a human environment, but they do not live, act or breath the same way us humans do. There is a term that is used whereby us humans apply our human characteristics to our pet dogs. That term is call 'Anthropomorphism'.

Interactions between Children and Dogs

But when small children are involved, it has been my experience that dogs almost always consider the children equal or lower in the pack hierarchy than they are, and this is where the problem arises.

Because the dog considers the child a subordinate, it may refuse to obey the child's commands or 'accidentally' bump into the child and knock her down. It may escalate to growling at the child when the child is near food or toys, or even baring his teeth and biting when the child approaches or tries to play with the dog. It is essential that the parent understands this hierarchal relationship and takes precautions to prevent problems from arising.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cryptographrix

Edward Bernays, hun, not Alex Jones. Read the book.

And yes, what makes it propaganda is that you're trying to trap people with emotional pleas - namely, "What if a pit bull mauled your baby?"

That one is sooo overused by this point.

My daughter comes into contact with at least 2 pit bulls a week at the park, and has been almost every day for two years at this point - and none of them have even played violently with her, let alone bit her.

I'm living the reality. No "what ifs."

Read what book? What are you talking about? Emotional pleas? I didn't start this thread I just stated my opinion on the matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Now take a dog that has the potential to be aggressive.

any animal has the potential to be aggressive, any animal. pits get singled out because of Jaw strength...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

2 different things.An age limit on ats isn't going attack my child. Nice try though
And yes I get what you're saying...but you and I both know it's not the same thing.
edit on 19-2-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

For your consideration.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

hey now, you are misspelling words. you are exposed for what you are let it go, have a good night and let those that have pit pulls have a good night too. your post history exposes you for what you are trying to do right here...ok?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
There are no bad dogs, but there are A LOT of bad owners.

I have a 9 year old 15 pound Chihuahua/Jack Russell mutt, one day we were out in our yard playing with a tennis ball and a pit bull came out of nowhere and attacked him, however I was able to exert enough blunt force trauma to that pit bull's head with my baseball bat and it ran off somewhere. Don't know if it died, probably did.

Thankfully all my mutt needed was some stitches on one of his legs, even after that I don't hate pit bulls I do hate the stupid owners though. Pit Bulls are powerful dogs and it's so sad that many stupid owners get these dogs to fight them.

Any dog can become aggressive, it all depends on how it's raised.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

eh thats a more touchy subject over the years various empires have practices selective breeding and eugenics to get superior breeding stock so to say example(horrible one and im sorry) some slave owners in the south selectively bread yet limited ability to learn and gain knowledge so that they would(in their eyes) make them better farmers laborers and what not so yeah humans have practice selective breeding for a less contraversial but more grusome example look at the Spartans if a kid was deformed they tossed him off a cliff because they wanted superior fighting stock not what they viewed as weak and unworthy of the Spartan name

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

in this one its you on the spot!!!
troll else where, you are not supporting any value other than argument on no behalf

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Edward Bernays - Propaganda

I may have mistaken you for the random person that was running around asking "what if a pit bull mauled your baby."

They were dumb, and that's what made this thread propaganda.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

hey now, you are misspelling words. you are exposed for what you are let it go, have a good night and let those that have pit pulls have a good night too. your post history exposes you for what you are trying to do right here...ok?

Typical.Attack my spelling on a website
And what does my post history expose?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Yes, they should. There are huge amounts of deaths at the hands (paws
) of Pit Bulls, especially in Australia/US.
edit on 19-2-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

reply to post by elouina

Now take a dog that has the potential to be aggressive.

any animal has the potential to be aggressive, any animal. pits get singled out because of Jaw strength...

About the aggression potential... You hit that one spot on! And jaw strength is also to be be considered with any pet around a child. Why chance it? Common sense... Which is more important to you, your baby or a dog? Us parents spend our lives protecting our children from every possible harm inside and outside the home. Why should this be any different?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join