It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot Pet Cat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
www.policebrutality.info...

After their beloved pet cat was shot dead in the alley behind their home, a family from Lebanon, Ohio is lobbying for a change in the policy on handling stray animals.

These two police officers are to be commended for their discipline and restraint, don't you think? They performed admirably while protecting the public from a potentially deadly member of feline Al Qaeda.

I'm just glad there were two of them on the scene. Housecats can be extremely dangerous.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Nice sarcasm.
Big brave coppers,had to shoot a cat.
In the vernacular of my generation....Off the pigs.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

The police (to me) did not do their job correctly. They should have checked to see if the cat belonged to somebody and if it was micro-chipped etc.

It is very sad to lose a family pet; they are very precious.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thread title says "pet" but the article says "stray."
Did I miss something maybe?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
they cat may have made a sudden movement. or he may have been holding his cellphone and it looked like a weapon.

god bless these brave officers

and how dare you cats roam our neighborhoods without proper identification..

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The cops were evidently responding to a NEIGHBOR'S call sating there was a sickly cat in the ally.

Was the cat sickly?
How did the neighbors know it was sickly?
Why didn't the owners comment on this?
Is there a beef between the cat owners and the neighbors?

I"m just sayin'...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

25 million homeless cats and dogs in the US and you want the police to take time to see if they all have homes??

Did they owners have a collar on the cat? or are they usually negligent owners who let pets wander around without collars, vaccinations, or being neutered?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spaceg0at

All pets are supposed to show licenses.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by satoriku

If you have a sick cat wandering around a residential area, absolutely it must be removed. If animal control is backed up or unreachable, then the police shoot the cat.

see, housecats and dogs are still very prone to rabies, and if you think they don't get them, you got another think coming.

And haven't worked and the rabies program and coming face to face with a rabid animal, you shoot on sight.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

25 million homeless cats and dogs in the US and you want the police to take time to see if they all have homes??

Did they owners have a collar on the cat? or are they usually negligent owners who let pets wander around without collars, vaccinations, or being neutered?

Yes...I do want the police to take the time and check to find out if the animal is someones pet. It is the right thing to do.

In the article provided in this thread it says: "What enraged the cat's owners is the fact that it was never checked for identification tags neither did the officers attempt in any way to determine whether it was a stray or a pet cat."

edit on 18-2-2012 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Seems they skipped a logical step - Animal Control.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

reply to post by spaceg0at

All pets are supposed to show licenses.

Hey, cat! License and ID, NOW! Identify yourself!

Get real.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
haha dumb cat.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I didn't know it was standard procedure for cops to go around shooting animals that *might be* sick (cats do get better, ya know, they have this animal doctor called a veterinarian, i have used one to treat my own sick cat) or a simply stray, unless it is clearly a threat to humanity by being obviously rabid.

Animal control doesn't start with a bullet.

It starts with...wait for it...Animal Control.

Or, if the cops have that much time on their hands and there is so little crime but so many animals wandering about, perhaps they should be equally trained in animal control.

I mean, really, this is unnecessary.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Police received a call from the cat owners’ neighbors regarding a sickly looking cat in their backyard. According to the department policy, any sick or injured stray cats are to be eliminated if found, and under no circumstances are they to be transported in a police vehicle.

What I want to know is; why is the police dept handling this type of thing? Don't they have animal control or the SPCA to handle stuff like that?

I think its irresponsible to be firing off weapons in a residential neighborhood unless someone is being attacked by an animal. You could scare the hell out of the neighborhood or, knowing how "skilled" most police are with a gun, hit an innocent bystander.

Some attempt should be made to humanely trap the animal and, if it is determined that it has no owner or is seriously ill, then it should be properly euthanized by a veterinarian. Not all stray animals are a threat to the public and gun happy police are not the answer in any case.

I am troubled by police department's reliance on force to solve any and all problems anymore.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
They're doing a good job when it comes to killing things.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Animal control tends to be understaffed and underfunded. If there are numerous problems, you can wait hours or even a day or so before they can come out.

It is not uncommon for police officers to put down sick animals. They will quickly shoot a deer that has been hit and is suffering on the side of the road, anyone alarmed about that?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

They will quickly shoot

I have absolutely no doubt in the universe about that.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Cats are the owner's responsibility, period, not the police, or the government's. It is not the police officer's jobs to run cats to the vets.

It is also not their job to expose themselves to diseases to rescue one of the millions of animals wandering the streets from negligent owners.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It is a pity that some people are not more well read than others.

Lebanon, Ohio is big enough that the officers won't have a problem. But in smaller towns in Ohio, they could have lost their jobs over that. And for the record, cats do not have to be licensed in Ohio, only dogs.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join