It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should it be legal to kill pet cats roaming around the neighbourhood?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Here is my reasoning, especially in a nation like Australia.
It is ok for cat owners to let their cats go out and kill native animals so why is it wrong to kill a cat to prevent them killing native animals?

Isn’t it the same logic?

Its not like I want this to be the case tho, I would much rather cat owners take responsibility and lock up their cats so to not damage their environment and threaten the extinction of native animals.

There is no reason for cats to be wandering the streets, the argument that ‘they are wild and use to wander around before humans’ is bunk because so did dogs but we can’t let them out can we?

But if cat owners will not take responsibility why can I not use the same logic they do and stop their cat from killing other animals.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

As long as you don't eat them it might be all right. Some dude got busted for killing and eating stray cats. Maybe there's a law against tax-free food.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient

As long as you don't eat them it might be all right. Some dude got busted for killing and eating stray cats. Maybe there's a law against tax-free food.
Nah I think I will pass on that, I didnt think it was illegal to eat them but maybe to sell their meat?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Even though I'm not a cat lover, I think instead the owners should be fined for letting their cats roam without being leashed or confined to their own backyard.

I had a neighbor down the street that would let her two dogs roam free around the neighborhood while they did their business on everyone's lawns. Her next door neighbor couldn't take it anymore and reported it to the city dog enforcement agency. She was fined and her dogs no longer roam the neighborhood.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
My neighbor shoots them with pellet guns..he also sets traps and takes them "away"......your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly "away" means........

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

Even though I'm not a cat lover, I think instead the owners should be fined for letting their cats roam without being leashed or confined to their own backyard.

I had a neighbor down the street that would let her two dogs roam free around the neighborhood while they did their business on everyone's lawns. Her next door neighbor couldn't take it anymore and reported it to the city dog enforcement agency. She was fined and her dogs no longer roam the neighborhood.
I agree that other measures should be taken first, but they arent being taken, there is no plan to take them and most cat owners wouldnt listen anyway.
If nothing is going to be done then people should take action.
I dont care how much people love a cat, its no where near as important as our native species.

I dont think dogs should roam around either, that being said they wouldnt cause as much damage as cats anyway

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Probably a more logical compromise

+26 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You people are a bunch of idiots. Tell me how in the hell you are supposed to keep a cat confined? Cats arent dogs, they dont take commands.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You people are a bunch of idiots. Tell me how in the hell you are supposed to keep a cat confined? Cats arent dogs, they dont take commands.

You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple.
Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I think instead the owners should be fined for letting their cats roam without being leashed or confined to their own backyard.

That is the most ingnorant thing about cats I have ever heard. A cat would strangle itself before it let you walk it around with a damn leash.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple. Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

No it is not that simple. A cat does whatever the hell they want. Cats do not like cages and most cats are outdoors cats.

A cat is not a dog.

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple.
Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

How about i put you in a cage? Let's see how you like that.

PS; reading through the rest of the posts. This is the most stupid thread i have yet to see on this site, and the responses are just sick.
edit on 16/2/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Exactly,they are free roaming animals even though they are pets,as for some of the comments by other posters in this thread is it ok to kill cats wandering around the neighbourhood! I mean WTF are some of you on? so they may occasionally take a native animal at least they are not responsible for pushing some animal species to the verge of extinction like us wonderful humans,would it be ok to kill those responsible?

And the poster whose neighbour "kills and takes cats away" would be taken away and "disappeared" himself if he came anywhere near my cats.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple. Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

No it is not that simple. A cat does whatever the hell they want. Cats do not like cages and most cats are outdoors cats.

A cat is not a dog.
If you cant keep them properly and safely then you shouldnt be keeping them at all.
Your cat is not more important then the native wildlife they kill.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure cats are classed as vermin, in the UK anyway, so I don't see the problem if they are causing problems with native species.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ok so if a cat shouldn’t be caged
Is it ok if I let my dogs roam the neighbourhood and they kill a pet cat? Because dogs shouldnt be caged either you know

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You are from Australia and you are worried about cats?? Really? I think I would worry more about some of the deadly animals you do have roaming around there!

and No, I don't think you should be able to shoot cats, they don't like cages, and they don't like to be chained down, by the man!!

link   
For those that think it's okay to kill or confine cats:

What is your problem with them??? Seriously?

Historically they have been a great force in keeping disease and vermin at bay. They are immune to much of the diseases carried by mice and rats.

During the Bubonic plagues they were instrumental.

In our town they passed a bylaw that bans any cats from being outside at all. (unless leashed??WTF)

Then a few years pass and the city is wondering where our rat infestation (that has never EVER existed in our parts) is coming from.
Ugh...that's our city council for ya. Idiots the whole lot of them

edit on 16-2-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

link   
ive been on the flip side of your argument. i think its ridiculous that you would be ok with killing someone pet. what if i were to put out traps for dogs that got out and took them ''away'' as some other poster put it. if anything cats are good for the environment killing rats, mice, other small animals that cause more damage to the environment than any cat could. what native animals are you so concerned about that you would trap and or kill others pets to save?? i hate even using the word pet since they can become part of your family. its very difficult to keep cats locked up since they don't listen or take commands like dogs sometimes do. that's just my thoughts.

edit: ive had a neighbor that would set out traps for my cats and several have gone missing. for no other reason than they don't like cats. disgusting if u ask me.

link   

I think corks should be rammed up dogs asses to stop their prick owners letting them # all over the estate early hours of the morning

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join