It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesco's secret workfare slaves / DWP

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Seems like lots of people advocate or defend paying someone a pittance for a decent days work.

There's still plenty of money in this country and no-one should have to work for the crap wages they are forcing on people nowadays.
I know tradesmen who are earning less per hour now than they were 4 or 5 years ago, and as for so called 'menial' jobs it's nothing short of a national disgrace.
How a family man is supposed to support his family on £6 or £7 an hour is beyond me.

Personally, I'm all for a little bit of wealth distribution to shake things up a bit!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Agree, that's weird they just mentioned about it on bbc news, something about cheap labour.It should be on in a mo, about tescos. I mean newsnight soz.

edit on 16-2-2012 by goinglocodowninacapulco because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by goinglocodowninacapulco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

The Human Rights Act protects your human right not to be held in slavery or servitude. Slavery is when someone actually owns you like a piece of property. Servitude is similar. You might live in the person’s property, work for them and be unable to leave, but they don’t officially own you. The law also protects you from forced labour – forcing you to work under the threat of punishment that you have not agreed to accept.

Article 4: Prohibition of slavery and forced labour 1. No one shall be held in slavery or servitude. 2. No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour. 3. For the purpose of this Article the term "forced or compulsory labour" shall not include: a) any work required to be done in the ordinary course of detention imposed according to the provisions of Article 5 of this Convention or during conditional release from such detention; b) any service of a military character or, in case of conscientious objectors in countries where they are recognised, service exacted instead of compulsory military service; c) any service exacted in case of an emergency or calamity threatening the life or well-being of the community; d) any work or service which forms part of normal civic obligations.

I think thats enough said really.

Its forced labour, therefor, its illegal, immoral, and just wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

If you cannot find a job right now, then you're just not trying

Really?

The numbers just do not bare this out.

I am lucky as still in work, but over the last 3/4 years there have been many culls where I work, these aren't minimum wage workers mind you.

They first try to get similar paying jobs, then after a few months of no luck, they downgrade expectations, before you know you you're working for 7 quid an hour, too much to get help form the government to who you paid 40% of your salary, but not enough to pay the mortgage. In the meantime, young people, fresh out of school, for whom the 7 quid an hour jobs are meant to be a stepping stone don't' exist any more.

In the meantime, Mcdonalds and Subway create thousands of #ty jobs, a lot of which will be taken by desperate formally middle class people instead of our chronically unemployed youth.

It isn't looking good for us, not our youth, not our middle class, nor our working class, in the meantime, wealthy landlords are making a killing, MPS get subsidized lunches, and bankers get bonuses.

There is something seriously wrong here.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This has been discussed on both Question Time and The Jeremy Vine show in the last couple of days.
And I think the majority of people recognise how unjust, unfair and actually disgusting this "Scheme" is... there are of course those whose opinions are formed by reading The Daily Mail or The Sun and who see anyone unemployed as a jobless, worthless, thieving layabout.... but thankfully these people's numbers are far lower than they would have you believe.

Not only is it exploitation and forced labour, it's also just a completely dishonest and underhanded way to operate.

Here is some info for anyone facing any of these issues or any issues/problems with the job centre or any welfare to work or work programme companies.

www.consent.me.uk...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks for the link Blupblup - shared it with some of my friends who are currently getting screwed by the DWP.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Speak of the devil, I got a letter today about a sanction, from last year. Totally going to screw me over if I can't sort it out, which I doubt :/

They'll still expect me to travel 3 times a week and go to my work placements on nothing during the time I'll have no money aswell

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Sounds like Tesco and Walmart are stealing evil schemes off of each other.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

You're welcome mate, I just hope it comes in handy and that it can stop at least a few people from getting screwed.

This thing is really getting attention now in the UK huh?

This is about the 3rd thread I've been in regarding this issue in the last few months and It's nice to see that The Guardian haven't given this up and are still going at it.... The Telegraph and Independent have also spoken out against the scheme..... and now the MSM channels are picking up on it and I think most people are pretty pissed off about this.

The workhouse is just around the corner...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
People from the baby boomer generation still really believe that modern youth are Lazy and have it easy.
Having it easy was working in the 50,s and 60,s and being able to take your pick of the jobs because you always had a choice back then. Being able to get credit and a mortgage, and have some rewards for your efforts.
How can it be a life style choice to be unemployed and on 55 quid a week?
You cannot lump everyone into the same basket and brand everyone who is unemployed as Lazy and disfunctional.
I believe what is happening around europe regarding mass unemployment of youth is an engineered social experiment, designed to usher in martial law and being forced to take the mark of the beast.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It was a culture that believed the poor were unemployed because they were lazy; that children were born out of wedlock because their parents were wicked; that drunkenness and depression were lifestyle choices; that disease and uncleanliness were the products of immorality not poverty; and that the state should not interfere with the rights of private property and finance.

But slowly, conditions improved. It began with local government starting to believe that the poor had a right to decent baths and washhouses.

Funding was allocated for cultural life - such as the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. And, finally, councils began to build housing for overcrowded families, design parks for leisure, and even provide jobs for the unemserving: ployed. When the London shipbuilding industry collapsed and trade slowed, some Victorians even realised that unemployment could be structural as well as personal.

Yet still, into the 1930s, there was a belief that the poor were feckless, idle and beyond help.

It was the Labour Party's great achievement not to give scroungers a free pass, but to suggest that poverty was not always the individual's fault. What Labour did with the welfare state in the post-war years was say you could be a full citizen of the UK, even if you had fallen on hard times.

To access unemployment benefit, use the NHS, and claim Child Benefit did not mean you were fiddling the system.

It meant that the nation helped you out in the tough times and thought it worthwhile investing in your health, education and care for the future of the country.

Today, that vision of community and citizenship is being undermined as rarely before. No one is in favour of benefit cheats or incapacity idlers, but by cutting Child Benefit, slashing social housing, undermining the NHS, and reviving the language of deserving and undeserving, the Tories and Lib Dems could be taking us back to the Victorians.

We have civilized ourselves since the 19th century.

There is no need for David Cameron to take us back to the ethos of the Eton workhouse.

It's odd that we're seeing much of this again... demonising of the poor... that anyone without a job is lazy, stupid, or chooses to be jobless...

Funnily enough this is from the mirror...

www.mirror.co.uk...
edit on 17/2/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Interesting read but there are so many mixed signals on this matter it's crazy. I heard on the news yesterday that one MP was condoning child labour. I've forgot his name but I'll try to find it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Surprisingly, i read the Daily Mail online article this morning about all this and a lot of commenters that were all for the exploitation of the unemployed were getting all the red arrows.

Not sure what the comments will be like now though.

Daily Mail

Here's a good link, not sure if it's been posted yet: Boycott Workfare
edit on 17-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I am sorry to tell you.
but they have been doing this for 33 years that I know of.
got me BEFORE I left school?
they did not even give me a chance.
two years then I found a job and told them to stuff it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
modern day slave labor ...... suckers! What? no KY either
edit on 17-2-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by mr-lizard

You're welcome mate, I just hope it comes in handy and that it can stop at least a few people from getting screwed.

This thing is really getting attention now in the UK huh?

This is about the 3rd thread I've been in regarding this issue in the last few months and It's nice to see that The Guardian haven't given this up and are still going at it.... The Telegraph and Independent have also spoken out against the scheme..... and now the MSM channels are picking up on it and I think most people are pretty pissed off about this.

The workhouse is just around the corner...

The Daily fail even picked it up. You know things are wrong when even the Daily Mail is questioning it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So, I think I can safely say that the majority on here view this as wrong.

I think that Greece may be the tip of the iceberg - I feel there is more to come in major european cities.

People are getting more and more cheesed off because the "Austerity" only seems to go one way.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If the worst comes to the worst, you can always email the Tesco CEO and ask some questions and possibly demand some answers.

CEO of Tesco: [email protected]

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join