It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesco's secret workfare slaves / DWP

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by revmoofoo

There is definitely a lifestyle choice to stay on JSA for some, but don't lump the majority into the same catergory.

Lifestyle choice?
Or let down by the education system, including vocational training courses?

I can remember when I was leaving school and I was told, "go to college, it's the best thing you could ever do" 6 years down the line, it didn't help me one bit.

I don't know, maybe it's where you live...

Personally, I had no problem getting very well paid work after leaving college, and nor did anyone else in my class.
I had to work a few crappy jobs while I was studying, but that's just part of going to college.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

There is definitely a lifestyle choice to stay on JSA for some, but don't lump the majority into the same catergory.

Lifestyle choice?

It is a lifestyle choice for some, i have worked in a Wetherspoons in crappy part of London and there is definitely a few that loved getting their small amount of money, housing benefit and council tax paid whilst getting some paid cash work on the side (either selling stolen goods, duty free tobacco, or drugs) and then spending the majority of the time in the pub and they seemed to be enjoying the lifestyle they had.

But just some; A very very small percentage, not all.

These people i'm talking about, were pretty much brought up that way. Perhaps they are not let down by the education system etc, but by their upbringing, families and peers.

edit on 16-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

link   
You know you could still just show up and literaly do nothing. In real terms many people will just show up, do nothing and cause more problems than there worth. Who cares?, they cant take your benefit away cause you are a particulary bad worker.

link   
reply to post by budski

I've never read the Daily Mail in my life thank you very much. There's a lot of work out there, you just have to be prepared to do the work available. Like I said, I keep getting calls offering me interviews based solely on a CV that I haven't updated in a couple of years.

I was very good at my job though and considered no task to be beneath me, which is reflected in my references.

Rev

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
reply to post by budski

I've never read the Daily Mail in my life thank you very much.

And yet you have no problem regurgitating the very same propaganda that they spout, which has been shown to be nothing but lies.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Our main problems are greedy employers who recruit abroad because foriegners work for peanuts.. We need to close the door on none skilled immigrants and force employers to employ british people first.

Those companies using jsa claiments as free labour should be sent to court, and the pimp government too. This IS slave labour and I applaude the young girls efforts who is fighting it in the eu human rights courts.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

If they are serious about getting those amounts down, they should try tackling the landlords who charge top money for 2nd rate lettings.

Nail hit well and truly on the head.

Private landlords have been making a fortune out of the Benefit System for donkey's years.

Ever wonder why we don't hear much about that?

Yes, there are some people who abuse the Welfare State....but as a percentage I would guess that it's significantly lower than the percentage of MP's who fraudulently fiddled their expenses or the number of businesses that fiddle their tax returns.

Yes, the Benefit System needs a drastic overhaul but it's no excuse for a large corporation like Tesco's blatantly exploiting a scheme for their own ends.

And as pointed out, there are very few jobs out there and the vast majority that are pay a pityful amount.
We are heading back to Victorianesque times when people worked for subsistence amounts whilst the wealthy and affluent lived in opulence.

And another bullseye from bud

reply to post by Biigs

Benifit fruaders are totally the worst case for unemployed and the main bleed for the tax payers.

Are you sure?

On the day this government announced austerity cuts of £7 billion it was also revealed that 02 had been let off with a tax bill of £6 billion.

And what about the billions paid to the bankers who through their greed and malpractice helped cause this mess in the first place?

But yeah, you focus your attention on Joe Bloggs who might do a bit labouring on the side just to help provide for his family or enough for a couple of beers.

reply to post by EvanB

Our main problems are greedy employers who recruit abroad because foriegners work for peanuts.. We need to close the door on none skilled immigrants and force employers to employ british people first.

I suspect that some may disagree with you mate but whilst I don't think it's the main problem it is definately a major contributory factor.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Benefit fraud accounts for 0.5% of all money used on welfare, not exactly a great deal

Strange isnt it, but thats all we hear about.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think it's a sad indictment of this country and what it's citizens have become when they'd rather whinge and moan about, and even grass on, people who may be trying to earn a little extra during difficult times whilst they do absolutely nothing about self-serving, self-advancing, egotistical, corrupt and amoral politicans, bankers and corporate bastards who have screwed this country over for centuries.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I think it's a sad indictment of this country and what it's citizens have become when they'd rather whinge and moan about, and even grass on, people who may be trying to earn a little extra during difficult times whilst they do absolutely nothing about self-serving, self-advancing, egotistical, corrupt and amoral politicans, bankers and corporate bastards who have screwed this country over for centuries.

That is exactly the case.

Sadly.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Not one lie has passed my lips thus far. If you cannot find a job right now, then you're just not trying. Even if it's just cleaning toilets, offices, buses, etc, it's still a job and it's better to take a job like that than to be a burden on society.

This is how I was raised and IMHO if more people had this attitude toward work and maybe a little less of a sense of entitlement that is the mainstream in the UK (London is awful for this) the country would be in a better state.

And this is a prime example of why only the moronic read the Daily Mail.

Rev

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
jobcentreplus.jobhits.co.uk...

WageJSA+EXPENSES
HoursTBC
LocationEAST ANGLIA IP32
Duration Permanent
Date posted09 February 2012
Pension detailsNo details held

Enticing.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

reply to post by budski

Not one lie has passed my lips thus far. If you cannot find a job right now, then you're just not trying. Even if it's just cleaning toilets, offices, buses, etc, it's still a job and it's better to take a job like that than to be a burden on society.

This is how I was raised and IMHO if more people had this attitude toward work and maybe a little less of a sense of entitlement that is the mainstream in the UK (London is awful for this) the country would be in a better state.

Rev

And what about those who cannot work?

BTW, it's just not true that there are plenty of jobs out there - so yeah, you did lie and continue to do so.

Those menial jobs of which you speak are taken by those who have to live in the black economy at significantly less than minimum wage.
Which is lie number 2.

Keep digging that hole, and I'll quite happily bury you.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

reply to post by budski

Rev

And what about those who cannot work?

BTW, it's just not true that there are plenty of jobs out there - so yeah, you did lie and continue to do so.

Those menial jobs of which you speak are taken by those who have to live in the black economy at significantly less than minimum wage.
Which is lie number 2.

Keep digging that hole, and I'll quite happily bury you.

I'm one of those people who cannot work as it happens because I have a long term illness that has forced me to give up the career I loved. I did spend the last 15 years of my life paying around 40% tax however, so I don't feel guilty about asking for something back.

Before I became an engineer, I was one of those people who worked the crappy menial jobs that were beneath my peers (or as they would often say "That's what immigrants are for") and at the time there was no minimum wage, but I was very grateful for the opportunity to work and not be a burden on society. Sure, the wages were low, and sure they barely provided me with enough money to live on, but at least I was working, even when I'd have been better off scrounging off the dole.

Nowadays there is a minimum wage in the UK and while you'll never become rich by working for the minimum wage, you will get a chance to be a productive member of society who isn't too lazy to take any job they can find. I can recommend cleaning as a great way to make some cash. Not the most glamorous of jobs, but it's good honest work and it needs to be done.

I don't know what your problem is with me my friend, but I'm hoping that you are not taking my posts too personally. After all, without differences of opinion there can be no meaningful conversation.

Rev

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I'm very sorry for your situation, but i really hate it when people say "Scrounging off the dole".

Do you not realise that the majority of people who are on JSA and other benefits have paid enough national insurance contributions to have the right to claim these benefits, when made unemployed or become sick?

Not every person who collects benefits are scroungers, neither are they all lazy.

Stop going on like you are the only one who has ever worked hard in their life in crappy menial jobs.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I'm very sorry for your situation, but i really hate it when people say "Scrounging off the dole".

Do you not realise that the majority of people who are on JSA and other benefits have paid enough national insurance contributions to have the right to claim these benefits, when made unemployed or become sick?

Not every person who collects benefits are scroungers, nor are they all lazy.

Apologies for any offence caused. I grew up in a real life version of the TV show Shameless and the majority of people around me were scrounging off the dole as that was the way of life back then. They thought my mum and dad were crazy for working when there was "no need" But as they always said, how could they be a good example to my sister and myself if they didn't work all the hours god sent to provide for their family.

I have no problem with people being on the dole. I don't care if there are people out there playing the system and making things more difficult for the people who really need help. I don't even mind the fact that I had to fight for 2 years to get ESA (and later DLA) because they company who assessed me (Atos) was on performance related pay (as was shown on the Channel 4 show that got cancelled because people went mad about how unfair the system was) so it was in their best interests to fail as many people as they could. The one thing I do hate however are the proper scum who choose the benefit lifestyle over the opportunity to get an honest days pay for an honest days work.

My wife and I are both disabled and we currently are unable to work even part time because of this. But not a week goes by without us wishing that we could work. After all, even a crap job in my field of expertise will pay £10 per hour in the current climate, which is nothing to be sneezed at really. And don't get me started on how much I miss the human interaction.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent.

Rev

edit on 16/2/2012 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Thank you for your apology and no offence taken. I undserstand where you are coming from now.

Yes there are some that abuse the system that ruin it for the genuine people out there. As i mentioned in an earlier post, i worked in a Wetherspoons in a bad part of London that could have been pretty much made into a London version of Shameless.

But these people, although it seems like there are many from our own perspectives and experiences and from the bombardment of the media, are really just the minority, especially in this current climate.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
When you say not many people get 30k in benefits your wrong.

I have a family member that hasn't worked a day in her life.

Her husband is on the sick and working on the hobble

She has 5 kids and a few years ago she was getting about 25k in benefits.

So there are a lot of people In that bracket.

I'm torn between the new policy of forcing people to work

There are a lot of scrounges.

But there a no jobs about

You can't say there is work if people want it

A job came up locally in river island and over 200 people applied for it

A well paid job came up, and I'm talking 30 k in pounds came up and 600 people went for it

How can you compete in a market like that?

So I do feel for the genuine people looking for work.

My cousins left school and couldn't find work for over 2 years. They hated being on the dole

But the big percentage, and there are plenty of them by me deserve to work for free.

There is a town not far from me called Merthyr Tydfil where 1 in 3 people are on incapacity benefit.

Let's face it no way are all them in need of help.

They need to be forced off their arses and Sorted out

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Glad we sorted that out. Bar work is awesome, but it's a bit poo when you work in a rough area. Security work is good too, but I got a few too many kicking's (and even had a pit bull set on me god rest it's soul) doing that job...but the nurses were always foxy.

I miss the nurses. lol

Rev

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoatboy
I have a family member that hasn't worked a day in her life.

She has 5 kids and a few years ago she was getting about 25k in benefits.

This is part of the issue, she could never afford those kids from the very first.

Dont worry tho the state will fund your loose legs and dicky husband.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join