It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Book Publishers 'Shut Down' Library.nu and iFile-it

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Book Publishers 'Shut Down' Library.nu and iFile-it


torrentfreak.com

The book download portal Library.nu and cyberlocker ifile.it appear to have ‘shut down’ voluntarily after a coalition of book publishers managed to get an injunction against the two sites. According to the complaint, the sites offered users access to 400,000 e-books and made more than $11 million in revenue in the process.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Shutting down sites that appear to infringe on copyrights seems to be a rapidly growing trend. I'll go ahead and predict that this trend continues and accelerates.

So, who's next? We have seen music file sharing sites and now eBook sharing. Will they hit torrent sites next? They are a little different in that they do not physically host the files being shared.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/16/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: typo



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Shutting down sites that appear to infringe on copyrights seems to be a rapidly growing trend. I'll go ahead and predict that this trend continues and accelerates.

So, who's next? We have seen music file sharing sites and now eBook sharing. Will they hit torrent sites next? They are a little different in that they do not physically host the files being shared.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/16/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: typo


leading torrent sites are making moves... Piratebay for example gets rid of torrents and replace them with magnets (a slightly different concept that does however work with your average torrent set-up)

At a pace too slow, at least in Europe some politicians starts to doubt whether this new phenomenon (as expressed in SOPA, PIPA, ACTA) is a good thing after all, support for this legislation is dropping. On the other hand, commercial interests grew too big to allow governments not to intervene. After all, isn't this what governments do all the time? using ordinary people's money to protect corporate interests?



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Piracy will go underground like the old days of Usenet and IRC and only those with the technological know how will be able to continue. It was going to happen sooner or later, especially with how mainstream piracy has become in the last few years.

We can think about how piracy only hurts a fraction of profits from those getting pirated, but imagine yourself as a small time author or programmer, you come up with something that's good and you try to sell it.

Then you find a pirate site that's giving away your work for free. Imagine how you'd feel if you realized that the ones that stole your work are making more money from ad revenue by distributing it for free then you did from the sales of your product.

Piracy goes to another level when the pirates are getting paid for other people's work...



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Book publishers are plain idiots. They had their day a'coming. The gravy train had ended.

Despite their supposed 'generosity', such as offering cash advances to well known or celebrity authors-to-be, it is nothing more than greed that fueled their atrocious actions. They pay authors for their original ideas, efforts, hardwork and even starvation at times a pittance such as 1% or 10% on royalties, while they reap the BIGGEST pie of 90% and more from artistes.

Many more struggling artistes that sought for help were rejected, and many of the works were far better than celebrity authors, but due to the lack of funds, they and espacially mankind were denied of the opportunities of the knowledge that could had been shared and learnt if published and mass marketed.

And now, they book publishers seek laws to protect their earnings? My middle finger up to them anytime.

The world has changed. A new model of fairer earnings/rewards for good works is in this internet revolution. Either the days of corporate greed will be over or only mankind's enslavement continues. We stand at such precipice today. May our society's leaders be wise and legistate the correct choice without fear or favour.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Personally I think this new law that has been brought in is brilliant. Not only does it stop illegal downloading but it will save consumers of music, videos and books for that matter a lot of money in the long run. It really frustrates me to see people almost mourning the loss of these rogue and illegal websites when people like myself who work and actually pay for the luxuries in life such as music, films and games are being charged extortionate rates.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
Personally I think this new law that has been brought in is brilliant. Not only does it stop illegal downloading but it will save consumers of music, videos and books for that matter a lot of money in the long run. It really frustrates me to see people almost mourning the loss of these rogue and illegal websites when people like myself who work and actually pay for the luxuries in life such as music, films and games are being charged extortionate rates.


You are being charged extortionate rates because of price fixing and illegal collusion within those industries.

How can a CD which costs $10 in the US be sold for £12.99 in the UK?



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Next on the list the library near you! You do realize that those criminal scumbags are handing out books for free!



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Next on the list the library near you! You do realize that those criminal scumbags are handing out books for free!


I was in one the other day, and you know what?
People were actually sat around reading FREE NEWSPAPERS!!!

the horror!
What will all those poor journo's do now?



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I am glad to see them shut down these websites. Being an author of two published books, I hardly get anything from purchases as it is. The publisher gets 98.6% and that leaves me getting 1.4% of every copy sold. It took almost three years to pen the two novels, working on them 8-20 hours a day, everyday. I deserve what little I get from all my hard work.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: spelling



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
I am glad to see them shut down these websites. Being an author of two published books, I hardly get anything from purchases as it is. The publisher gets 98.6% and that leaves me getting 1.4% of every copy sold. It took almost three years to pen the two novels, working on them 8-20 hours a day, everyday. I deserve what little I get from all my hard work.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: spelling


Ever thought of getting a better book deal?

because that's about the worst one I have ever heard of, and simply doesn't sound right.
Why the hell would anyone sign THAT contract?



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen
 


It's like the Library of Alexandria just burnt down. Again.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by kennylee
I am glad to see them shut down these websites. Being an author of two published books, I hardly get anything from purchases as it is. The publisher gets 98.6% and that leaves me getting 1.4% of every copy sold. It took almost three years to pen the two novels, working on them 8-20 hours a day, everyday. I deserve what little I get from all my hard work.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: spelling


Ever thought of getting a better book deal?

because that's about the worst one I have ever heard of, and simply doesn't sound right.
Why the hell would anyone sign THAT contract?


My contract ends in 2 more years then I have all rights back. As far as why I signed the contract in the first place....I wanted to be published and took the first offer, so the answer would be stupidity and impatience.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by kennylee
I am glad to see them shut down these websites. Being an author of two published books, I hardly get anything from purchases as it is. The publisher gets 98.6% and that leaves me getting 1.4% of every copy sold. It took almost three years to pen the two novels, working on them 8-20 hours a day, everyday. I deserve what little I get from all my hard work.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: spelling


Ever thought of getting a better book deal?

because that's about the worst one I have ever heard of, and simply doesn't sound right.
Why the hell would anyone sign THAT contract?


My contract ends in 2 more years then I have all rights back. As far as why I signed the contract in the first place....I wanted to be published and took the first offer, so the answer would be stupidity and impatience.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: (no reason given)


Fair enough.

But that contract REALLY sucks.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

the sites offered users access to 400,000 e-books and made more than $11 million in revenue in the process.


That about covers it...




posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
Personally I think this new law that has been brought in is brilliant.


What new law is that?



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
I am glad to see them shut down these websites. Being an author of two published books, I hardly get anything from purchases as it is. The publisher gets 98.6% and that leaves me getting 1.4% of every copy sold. It took almost three years to pen the two novels, working on them 8-20 hours a day, everyday. I deserve what little I get from all my hard work.
edit on 2/16/12 by kennylee because: spelling


find yourself another publisher, maybe?
i've got 10% and advance payment and
i'm publishing essays in a language no one speaks
about stuff no one cares about
except me, of course :-)



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMalefactor
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen
 


It's like the Library of Alexandria just burnt down. Again.


how's that? it's just some gates that are being removed. the information is still there



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes

Originally posted by TheMalefactor
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen
 


It's like the Library of Alexandria just burnt down. Again.


how's that? it's just some gates that are being removed. the information is still there


That's the thing the information isn't still there. It's not just the books that are gone. But all the bookshelves, metadata, and comments are wiped. There's no other source that does anything even close to library.nu. How many ebook sites organize the books based on metadata including accurate publication date, edition, series, volume #'s, cover, vector vs. scan, pagination, and then juxtaposed it against other similar editions? What just happened was the wholesale burning of a library used primarily by academics (who didn't have a pot to piss in in the first place).



posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMalefactor

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes

Originally posted by TheMalefactor
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen
 


It's like the Library of Alexandria just burnt down. Again.


how's that? it's just some gates that are being removed. the information is still there


That's the thing the information isn't still there. It's not just the books that are gone. But all the bookshelves, metadata, and comments are wiped. There's no other source that does anything even close to library.nu. How many ebook sites organize the books based on metadata including accurate publication date, edition, series, volume #'s, cover, vector vs. scan, pagination, and then juxtaposed it against other similar editions? What just happened was the wholesale burning of a library used primarily by academics (who didn't have a pot to piss in in the first place).


well, thanks for this clarification.
greed wins, greed wins every time




top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join