It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Chris Christie lowers flag for Whitney Houston

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What the hell is our country coming to when a politician believes we should lower our flag for a pop icon!? I think this is totally disrespectful to the people and events that truly deserve this honor.


“I’m not saying that Whitney Houston is a role model,” he said, adding that she is a cultural icon, whose accomplishments deserve the honor.


newyork.cbslocal.com... christie-defends-lowering-flags-for-whitney-houston/
edit on 16-2-2012 by oneness86 because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by oneness86
 


I agree. Why? This is ridiculous.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
IMO- This makes Chris Christie a weinerhead.

Flags should be lowered for military heroes and political figures that are not disgraceful.( I guess that pretty much means military heroes)



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
He doesn't even have the legal authority to do this. Much less, why would we "honor" this person? Because she is a singer? She was also a crack head who lived in an abusive relationship. Yes.. let's honor her.

Displaying Flag at Half Staff

How about my friend Joe? He was just declared legally brain dead yesterday from a brain tumor. He did a lot of good things for his family. How about we fly the flag at half staff for him? Oh wait.. you must be a pop icon now for this to happen. Soldiers are dying every day in Iraq and Afghanistan. If your going to fly it at half mass for this person, then it should be flown half mass every single day for our soldiers.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by oneness86
 


What a joke. I'll never look at him the same.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
He doesn't even have the legal authority to do this. Much less, why would we "honor" this person? Because she is a singer? She was also a crack head who lived in an abusive relationship. Yes.. let's honor her.



I do believe that a governor of state DOES have the authority to request half-staff flying of the flag on state buildings and schools.

But, I don't agree with his decision. Whitney Houston was not state affair.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Glargod because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The US Congress has a long history of honoring individuals for artistic achievements (Congressional Library for example) - it's not surprising he would do what he can to honor someone for being an "artist" with such an impact on our culture.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree but...It's really not surprising
edit on 16-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by oneness86
What the hell is our country coming to when a politician believes we should lower our flag for a pop icon!? I think this is totally disrespectful to the people and events that truly deserve this honor.


“I’m not saying that Whitney Houston is a role model,” he said, adding that she is a cultural icon, whose accomplishments deserve the honor.


newyork.cbslocal.com... christie-defends-lowering-flags-for-whitney-houston/
edit on 16-2-2012 by oneness86 because: (no reason given)


I agree. It makes those that the flag SHOULD be lowered for that much less respectful.

Dont get me wrong. What happen was a tragedy for her, her loved ones and her fans.. But lowering the flag for a performer... well.. That's just demeaning for the rest of the people more deserving.. Like millitary K.I.A. and what have you.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod

I do believe that a governor of state DOES have the authority to request half-staff flying of the flag on state buildings and schools.

But, I don't agree with his decision. Whitney Houston was not state affair.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Glargod because: (no reason given)


Here is more information.



When is it permitted to half-staff the U.S. flag?

Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure. Unfortunately, many city, business and organization leaders are half-staffing the flag upon the death of an employee or member. Instead, it is suggested to half-staff (if on a separate pole) the city, business or organizational flag. The federal flag code does not prohibit this type of half-staffing.


And here is the link where I got this info.

Flying half staff Flag information

And here is the Wikipedia info.

A Governor does have the right to fly a flag at half staff. But only for a state official or resident. She was born in NJ but lived in LA. So technically she was not a resident.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm surprised she didn't get a 21 gun and to be burial at Arlington.

2nd line



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321
 


Maybe the man has a hormonal teenage daughter (or son) who was devastated and cried "daddy daddy"

humph.. either case.. bad call

I lower the flag to all soldiers who lost their lives fighting in the name of freedom.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So much for thinking at one time, he would make good presidential material.....



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is just absolutely horrendous.

Yep, let's all compare the sacrifice and honor an entertainer in America deserves. This shouldn't be done for any entertainer period. Not MJ, Houston, the Beatles, none of them. Their job is to entertain, NOT SACRIFICE!
On a human level, she can be mourned for, sure, no one would argue that, but for real? Honored? Like it was an honor watching her on the reality show "Being Bobby Brown". So we half mass the flag for; fallen soldiers, police officers in line of duty, national days of remembrance such as pearl harbor and 9/11, and pretty much any celebrity that has died that got a lot of attention... Just making sure I got it.



posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This has already been posted.

Closed.

~Tenth




top topics



 
3

log in

join