It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playing God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A Good Watch. just wanted to bring it by the ATS Fam.....

Adam Rutherford meets a new creature created by American scientists – the spider-goat. It is part goat, part spider, and its milk can be used to create artificial spider’s web. It is part of a new field of research, synthetic biology, with a radical aim: to break down nature into spare parts so that we can rebuild it however we please. This technology is already being used to make bio-diesel to power cars. Other researchers are looking at how we might, one day, control human emotions by sending biological machines into our brains.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

How do you combine a spider and a goat? This will definitely give rise to a whole new slew of phobias at least...

IS there a link other than a YouTube video? Since there already are phobia's covering why I can't even go look at this to put more energy into disbelieving it?

edit on 15-2-2012 by webpirate because: additional thoughts

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I originally pictured a spider with a goats face and some utters hanging out from under its belly
but they really just look and act like every day regular goats, they are just injected with a spiders gene to produce silk within the goats milk. They then extract the proteins from the fat in the milk and pull the silk out from it and spool it up... pretty crazy. Check out the vid and about 5mins in to see it.

Thnx for the post OP S&F

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Incy-wincy Spider got flipping HUGE!

So much for Homers Spider-Pig!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
it goes way beyond a goat and a spider

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

if some one can link the video here that would be great.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Hopefully thats it!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

yes thank you. i havent figured what to post where yet go get it to pop up.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Somewhere here there is a plot for the next Spiderman movie.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Arekoteya

lol...ty for the explanation. I didn't know what I pictured. I just didn't think they would mix well...sort of like the pig and elephant DNA just won't splice song from early South Park...lol

That makes sense and may allow me to actually watch the video.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
And what you see, right here, is a glimpse of the future. Bio-engineering will be the key driver of materials science and processing within the next 25 years (probably sooner, but I'm giving it a wide berth). The main thing holding it back, at present, is the prohibitively high computing power necessary to simulate molecular interactions (protein formation and the like); and the relative inaccuracy of those models due to the slow rate of trial-and-error.

People get 'excited' about GMOs, now... imagine what will happen when they find out the soy bean plant's 'rough matter' (what's not harvested as produce) will be modified to contain high amounts of specific hydrocarbons for use in plastics, QD-OLED technology, etc.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Almost done watching it. I have to admit, amazing as it is, it scares the hell out of me. Spider DNA mixed with goat and you get spider silk from goats. And this is done with apparent ease.

So, what happens when someone decides it would be really cool to create mosquitoes with bee stingers? I can imagine someone holding the world hostage with something like this. 10 trillion dollars or I release the mosquito bee. No one could go out safely into the woods or even have a cookout in their backyard at night.

We have a wonderful thing called the internet, and with it, hackers and trolls. The laws set forth by governments are abused by those with the ability to find loopholes. Many people drive cars irresponsibly.

How can anyone think that such manipulation of DNA (or even just modern science and technology) is safe? Someone WILL abuse it. Not just someone but many someones.

Frightening!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Very interesting video. The thought of our ability as a race now is scary compared to what it was 100 years ago we have come so far.

I really don't know which side i am on when it comes to Splicing and DNA genetics, I can see the benefits it could have but at the same time the utter danger it poses if in the wrong hands as stated above.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by theChristianatheist
utter danger it poses if in the wrong hands as stated above.

Don't you mean "udder" danger? *elbow elbow*

Firstly, ew. Straight talk regarding a whole new onslaught of phobias!
Secondly, that's pretty amazing. Frightening because we have no way of knowing the true ramifications of fiddling with DNA in this manner. But at the same time, incredible that we are capable of doing such. I believe we are still too young as a species to be messing with nature at this level. We are still finding out about what makes animals tick, their level of consciousness, their capability to feel emotion. And since they cannot communicate with us, how do we know what it feels like to have spider dna spliced into your own? How do we know it's not bringing about some horrific level of suffering or dysfunction in the animal?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HolographicPrincipal

Originally posted by theChristianatheist
utter danger it poses if in the wrong hands as stated above.

Don't you mean "udder" danger? *elbow elbow*

Firstly, ew. Straight talk regarding a whole new onslaught of phobias!
Secondly, that's pretty amazing. Frightening because we have no way of knowing the true ramifications of fiddling with DNA in this manner. But at the same time, incredible that we are capable of doing such. I believe we are still too young as a species to be messing with nature at this level. We are still finding out about what makes animals tick, their level of consciousness, their capability to feel emotion. And since they cannot communicate with us, how do we know what it feels like to have spider dna spliced into your own? How do we know it's not bringing about some horrific level of suffering or dysfunction in the animal?

I face palmed slightly. Not because it was bad but because it was so bad it was funny

You make a very excellent point though, How can we know what's going on with the animals having this crazy DNA in them? At what point will we say we have gone too far?

top topics

join