It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops to sticker New Orleans homes with a 'Scarlet Letter'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Cops to sticker New Orleans homes with a 'Scarlet Letter'

rt.com

Under a new initiative announced this week by the New Orleans Police Department, private residences will also become the home of massive orange stickers that’ll alert neighbors, “Hey, don’t worry. There might be drugs here.”

New Orleans Police Chief Ronal Serpas revealed to the media this week that the NOPD will soon be responding to allegations of drug activity with a campaign that some feel will create more problems than it could solve. Acting on citizen tips provided to the New Orleans Crimestroppers Inc website, the NOPD will now descend on homes alleged to engage in drug activi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

www.nola.com
edit on 2/15/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Slapping a big orange sticker on homes where warrants were served or a Crimestoppers tip was investigated? I'm with the "create more problems than it will solve" gang. I can see all kinds of potential for abuse and exposure and branding of innocent people here.

[exnews]"We're going to start placarding every house that we do a search warrant on," Serpas explained to reporters. "Neighbors will spot it and see it and know we did go to that house, we did follow up on that Crimestoppers tip…which will hopefully encourage more,” he added.

To show they're doing their job?

But even more recent breaking news...

Louisiana: New Orleans Backtracks on Labeling Suspected Drug Houses

Less than a day after initiating a policy of putting signs on houses investigated for drugs as a result of a Crimestoppers tip, Superintendent Ronal Serpas of the New Orleans police canceled it Wednesday. The signs read in part, “N.O.P.D. has served a narcotic-related warrant or checked this residence as a result of a Crimestoppers hotline citizen’s tip.” The bright orange stickers were to be put on homes under investigation and singled out through anonymous tips. They were to go up after officers executed a warrant at a property, regardless of whether drugs were found or arrests made. Critics, including the American Civil Liberties Union, argued that they might target innocent people.

Guess the ACLU is still good for something, as demonized as it is. Glad they're around.

The very fact that someone even thought of doing this...just wow.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/15/2012 by ~Lucidity because: Added another link.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This is good news for dealers.
Sales will increase heaps because we all know that any publicity is good publicity.

edit on 15-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This has been canceled, they decided it wasn't such a good idea after all!

NOPD Rescinds Decision On Placarding Strategy

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09
This has been canceled, they decided it wasn't such a good idea after all!

NOPD Rescinds Decision On Placarding Strategy

Right. I had that in the OP. I searched but didn't find another topic about this.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Nazis did things similar to this in the beginning

Im sure there will be more of this sooner then later.

edit on 15-2-2012 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i say we call the police and report every congressman as being a potential drug dealer.. see how they will respect that law

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The stickers can be removed at "any time by anyone," according to NOPD spokeswoman Remi Braden, and the glue used in the stickers is "said to cause no damage to property."

Esman countered: "If anyone can take it off at any time, then what's the point? Why should taxpayers' money be spent on something that can just be peeled off right away."

Exactly. Why even bother and spend the money?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Would have been funny for counterfeit signs to start appearing on police officers homes. Take it a step further and start labeling Hospitals and drugstores.

Some of these ideas meant to help the citizens make me think that people supposedly in charge need to go back to get an education. It obviously failed them, how bright is our future when the children of today have to step up and not only do their jobs, but clean up the mess these people are making today.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So they're going to brand people as drug dealers without trial. It's going to be funny when they have massive lawsuits coming in against the city for slander.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
to me those stickers are a sign of poor losers. "we're losing the drug war miserably" is what it says

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
to me those stickers are a sign of poor losers. "we're losing the drug war miserably" is what it says

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by brainswippin

Not a bright move.

Its no different from fingering innocent civilians. Plus, you open yourself up to the possibility of legal retaliation.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Had another thought about this. Do you all think it's similar to the posting of the addresses/locations of child molesters? Probably not, as they're CONVICTED. Guess I answered my own question.

To me this screams more of public relations than anything else. A clearly not thought through move.

reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Guess that's why the ACLU got right on it and they reversed their plans so fast. Scarlet Letter is a really good analogy, even though if I recall correctly, even the wearer of a scarlet letter at least got the semblance of a trial.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If the police attached anything to my private property, I’d get the house professionally resurfaced and repainted on their dime, and I’d most likely have legal support from whoever holds my mortgage. This will stop after the police department is civilly sued and has to pay out a bunch of money.

Most people who live in a house don’t own it, a bank or mortgage company does. This affects the value of that home, and the police would be civilly responsible for any defacement and drop in the homes value associated with doing it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
there is a very easy way to get this to stop

call crimestoppers and report all the drug trafficking you have witnessed in and out of the sherrifs house....

they are always above the law and once they are one of the guilty until proven innocent labeled individuals they will then care enough to undo it.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
They put a mark on the homes of the german Jews at one time also....
@nd l1n3

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yeah. Especially based on a "tip" from maybe a disgruntled neighbor....just to show they "investigated." As if there's not enough gossip on the street as it is. Seems to me this could intensify tensions.

Guess it's not as bad as those orange stickers they slap on the windows of broken down cars that you can never remove.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well, it could be potentially used to drop home values in a targeted area for financial gain. I see they already repealed it. Obviously the overzealous police didn’t consult with their legal department before coming up with this stupid idea.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Guess it's not as bad as those orange stickers they slap on the windows of broken down cars that you can never remove.

That would be a bit different legally.
First your car depreciates in value anyway, it’s not something that builds equity or affects the value of other cars around it. Also it’s done to cars that are on public land, normally abandoned cars that are about to be towed. In that case it would fall under being abandoned property that was under the care of the police. The police don’t sneak into your garage and affix a sticker to your windshield while its parked in there, If they did then you’d have a case against them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join