It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundred million year old moon boulder rolls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This is odd, how can this hundred million year old boulder nine meters in diameter roll, and maybe still rolling?

A casual glance might suggest that it happened last week, or even that its rolling might resume at any moment.

Nasa has shared two amazing new photos of what appears to demonstrate strong gravity on the moon

Didn't know that there was such high gravity on the moon?

Could it be that something with more mass past the moon? or can we officially call this boulder one of (The rolling stones)

Update: I did a quick research but it seems that this is not the only boulder that started to roll look all the way up and tell me what you see , I guess the whole band is there.....

Why do some of these boulders change course....?

LROC large image

Source

edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
That's one hell of a hamster ball....would like to see that moon hamster for sure...

I haven't a clue how that track got there. It's an amazing photo, TY for posting.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

well if it is one of the rollings stones,its probably keith richards! hes a hundred million years old no?!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

as far as i'm aware it isn't?

Lunar Olympics - Astronauts jumping in 1/6 earth gravity

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
omg this can only mean on thing.

THEY'RE COMING!

keep your eyes to the sky folks!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Hypothesis: The rolling my be the result of some sort of seismic activity or ground movement from a meteor impact in some adjacent area. The ground shakes and the round rock, perhpas restin on slight incline, disloges and rolls.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
Don't believe everything you read.

I'd say that source is not very good.

We know the moon has about 1/6 the Earth's gravity, though there are small fluctuations in it just like you would weigh a little bit more on Earth if you stood at the south pole.

The moon's gravity is not that high and this photo certainly doesn't prove the moon has "high gravity" whatever that's supposed to mean.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul

well if it is one of the rollings stones,its probably keith richards! hes a hundred million years old no?!!!

And cannot die or be harmed by conventional means so he could def survive on the moon..

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

So, you've got a hundred-million year old boulder perched on a hillside.

Ten million years ago, a meteorite impact 50 miles away shook the ground, which dislodged the boulder and sent it rolling down the hill, where it came to a stop.

There's no wind or rain to obscure the track the boulder made, so it's still there.

We see these things all over the Moon. IIRC, the Apollo 17 crew examined one of these boulders in the Taurus-Littrow Valley.

No big mystery, as such - but still pretty dang neat!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well it has 'Rolled' a long way, a very long way, it has also passed over a crater and it is apparently not perfectly round either... so i don't think it's moved due to an impact nearby....

Anyone seen that 'Apollo' movie? maybe it grew legs and walked there

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Mick isnt happy about this
ontopic it looks like something put it in motion from the moon surface as if it somewhat bounced. I say bounced because of the grooves in the line made not being constant but like in and out of the surface movements. Somebodies telling us down here to look

edit on 2/15/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

ha ha ha! chuck norris could kick his ass,and the moon rock too!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

that photo is great!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
In relation to an impact that caused movement of this larger bouulder... Why are not the smaller rocks moved near the same area I see a few smaller "rocks"
any clues? Just noticed to the lower right I do see another seemed like movement with little boulders and there are other lines also near lower right corner? Like dancing stones.
edit on 2/15/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I do not believe everything thats been said but they clearly used Nasa spokesman James Ashley name?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

that's great.. lol

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Well it has 'Rolled' a long way, a very long way, it has also passed over a crater and it is apparently not perfectly round either...

Could not the crator impact occur after the boulder rolled.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Siesmic activity?? I dont know, maybe, but the moon doesnt rotate, and i think the core is cool, which would suggest No activity, because how do plates float on a solid core, strange to say the least, must be tied into gravity of another celestial body

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Wow that is a monster sized boulder, it does make one wonder in relative distance do to magnification I want to know how big this is in comparable size if its able to be seen from still a hearty distance???

I can see it now somewhere on ats there is a dude with a tinfoil hat on freaking out cause this has got to be proof that the moon Martians or the what was it oh yes the rock alien that was looking at us....... Ha ha ha hhhaa ha ha lol Sorry I couldn't resist lol.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Just looked at the pic, really closeley, you can see other smaller boulders in this picture at the very bottom right, which looks like other tracks left by the same occurance.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join