It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New power source discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Source

Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and RMIT University have made a breakthrough in energy storage and power generation.

The power generated relative to the energy source size is three to four times greater than what is currently possible with the best lithium-ion batteries.

While on sabbatical from RMIT in 2009 and 2010, Associate Professor Dr Kourosh Kalantar-zadeh, from the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, joined MIT Associate Professor Michael Strano's nanotechnology research group.

The team was working on measuring the acceleration of a chemical reaction along a nanotube when they discovered that the reaction generated power.

Now the two researchers are using their combined expertise in chemistry and nanomaterials to explore this phenomenon.

Their work titled Nanodynamite: Fuel-coated nanotubes could provide bursts of power to the smallest systems is in the December IEEE Spectrum Magazine, the publication of the IEEE, the world's largest professional technology association.

Associate Professor Kalantar-zadeh said that his experimental system, based on one of the materials that have come from nanotechnology — carbon nanotubes — generates power, something researchers had not seen before.

“By coating a nanotube in nitrocellulose fuel and igniting one end, we set off a combustion wave along it and learned that a nanotube is an excellent conductor of heat from burning fuel. Even better, the combustion wave creates a strong electric current,” he said.

The amount of breakthroughs that have come out in the last few years are getting crazy.

If the LENR reactions prove to be true, coupled with this form of 'super battery', it seems like our humanities power issued shall be solved. That is if nothing is suppressed, or bought up by the big power companies who this would hurt...

Anyways, I thought I would share this with all of you as this is huge news and will largely impact our world when usable solutions have been worked out.

I try and explain to my friend and family what LENR means to our planet but no one seems to get it, I wonder if I bring this up if they will be able to understand.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Awesome, get ready for the shills though.

I´ll help you

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Wow, that's cool. The one major thing holding back "green" energy (besides cost) is a storage solution.

We can get enough power to take care of the world from the major green energy sources, the problem lies with storing the excess and transmission.

XL5

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If it burned gas and it was more then 40% efficient, it would be great. As it is, nitrocellulose is more expensive then gas. Its good for short pulses and I wish it was something that could be very compact and perfect.

You could try somthing similar by heating a copper wire from one end to the other with a blowtorch and measure the volts/amps at either ends of the wires (don't hold the ends of the wire with bare hands - duh).

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This kinda sounds like what is described as the original attempt at cold fusion,
Check out the documentary, its on youtube "Heavy Watergate: The war on cold fusion" check it out.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
No shill here, just a really confused non-scientific guy.

The nanotubes have to be ignited? Would a burst of electricity create enough heat to do it? I'm pretty sure I don't have to light my battery.

Combustion creates electricity? Or is an "electric wave" something different? (I thought I saw one at a stadium once
)

This sounds as though the "battery" would last until the nitrocellulose went bad. Does it go bad? Is it a one shot discharge?

Anyway thanks for your help, I'd like to understand this, at least a little.
edit on 14-2-2012 by charles1952 because: addition.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have seen this on the science channel about a year ago it's great to see they're putting them to use. In the show I saw they said they made them out of use plastic grocery bags. They put them in a kind of pressure cooker and heated them to a ridiculously high temperature to create the nano tubes so at least the material to make them is cheap. I hope they can start production on these quickly it could revolutionize the power industry and electric cars because from what I understand the batteries would be extremely lite.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
If the LENR reactions prove to be true, coupled with this form of 'super battery', it seems like our humanities power issued shall be solved. That is if nothing is suppressed, or bought up by the big power companies who this would hurt...

I try and explain to my friend and family what LENR means to our planet but no one seems to get it, I wonder if I bring this up if they will be able to understand.

Any thoughts?
We need breakthroughs in battery tech. This area has been a drag on technological development. Kind of annoying I've never been able to get a laptop where the battery will last during my flight from east coast to west coast of USA. That's pretty sad. Maybe this new tech will improve on that.

Regarding LENR, this is just a guess on my part, but an educated guess. I think the LENR jury is still out. But I bet 75% odds that the verdict will come back that it's not low energy nuclear reaction, but rather some kind of battery like effect, maybe just a new type of battery. I'd love to be proven wrong and it turns out to be something amazing, but I think it's likely just another battery, though who knows it might be better battery tech than what we now have?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Laptop batteries are an embarrassment.

I like the iPad for that reason, it lasts from Canada to Hawaii with no issues, and that's games and movies.

I, like you, am not too sure about LENR but I hope it proves to be true. Something is going on an CERN is looking into it so we should have answers soon, even if it is not LENR hopefully it turns out to be something better than fossil fuel burning,

I liked this story and thought it was interesting though because our current battery tech is so behind everything else. It needs to be updated and caught up if not ahead of the rest of the technology, and this is from MIT so it has some merit behind it.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is outrageous.. A Rockefeller funded University making breakthroughs which could reduce Fossil Fuel consumption? This is not allowed.. Disinfo agents and Trolls.... Attack!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

This is hardly a new discovery. I heard about this several months ago, and there have already been several threads about this.

In fact here's a thread from 2010 about this energy source: MIT researchers discover new energy source

And here's an MIT article from 2010 with a video showing the actual reaction taking place: MIT researchers discover new way of producing electricity

XL5

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Charles1952, yes, it is a one shot deal. You can get the same effect by heating a wire at one end and move the heat to the other end (like a wave) and it will make mV's from the ends of the wire. The nitrocellulose is the fuel.
edit on 15-2-2012 by XL5 because: .

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
this is excellent and i hope that it is refined and made available to the public for a reasonable price. technology gets supressed all the time though so i wouldn't be suprised if an oil company takes over funding for the research. i believe it is chevron who own at least 3 different patents for certain types of battery and also a patent for a particular type of solar panel. i'm pretty sure that these facts are mentioned in the documentary "who killed the electric car". as long as the black stuff keeps comin out of the ground they are gonna charge us and tell us there is nothing better until it runs out. i think that we are headed towards peak oil faster than slower, the amount of car companies this year that have now started producing electric only (not hybrids) cars is to me an indication that the oil will be gone very soon.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I don't think these breakthroughs will be surpressed outright....

Just "modified" in a way that they can be manufactured, sold, and made profitable in a similar way to the current power sources we use right now.

If they can find a way to bill us... then why not?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
You can be guaranteed well be paying through the nose no matter who or what unless the current power structure of the worldis altered.(no pun intended)
This is an interesting article, but nitro cellulose is an old form of explosive called gun cotton,
It is not exactly non explosive....
The safety issue may be a stumbling point as it is also volatile to going off unexpectedly.
The accellerant may be changed to another product though....
I hope the principal leads to new power sources for hand held tools and such because it would revolutionize many things...make my life easier too....hehehe

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I did predict all of this and more. All here on ATS. Thats why i am telling people not to be hasty regarding Iran.
Patience.
Out with the old in with the new.
Just watch

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
we are still on fossil !!!!!!! where are the #ing inventions ????? all is bull# !!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Any thoughts?

What they're describing is just a battery and batteries store energy, they don't create it. The last big battery revolution came in the form of lithium polymer batteries, but their application is fairly limited. Sure they've allowed smaller cell phones, better cordless tools and they've transformed electric R/C flight (I'm an R/C guy, so I'm all for that), but not much else. They've just made some conveniences more convenient. But there's a trade-off, storing all that energy in li-po batt's creates an increased hazard, if they are punctured while fully charged they spew red-hot liquid all over the place and can easily cause a fire. That's why they're not used in hybrid cars. Better batteries would of course have some interesting applications, but I don't see what is described here as any kind of revolution.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm a little leery of considering this power source the next generation of energy...

What I mean to say is, there's probably a lot better stuff out there. The fact that this was released means it's nowhere near the mark.

Nice effort, but clearly not the top of our potential. Our government has a way of shushing the best stuff up...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Honestly, what we need is magnetics.

The magnetics would create the energy, and then something else (possibly more magnetics) to boost and/or enhance the energy.

Magnetics can do almost anything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join