It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McMaster researchers reverse Huntington's disease in mice

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Dear aboutface,

I'm ever so sorry to be so intrusive. Did not mean to cause any offence. You have just made me laugh and imparted so much info you have intrigued me. More info is on it's way.
Kindest regards,
spacemon (age: 34).

edit on 21-2-2012 by spacemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemon

Please, not to worry. I am not offended at all. I do have to be careful for security reasons.
2nd

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Originally posted by aboutface

"In the videos you saw, her husband clearly has signs of his disorder and that by taking coconut oil, his functions have improved. However if brain cells have been destroyed, there is no complete recovery. So I wonder just how a disease reversal can occur, unless the brain be retrained through mirroring-elasticity or new cells? "

Dear aboutface.

Sorry, have not responded for a while. Been rather busy. Neural tissues divide very slowly, that is why cancer chemotherapy does not cause neurological illness as it only targets rapidly dividing cells. Neural cells take a long time to divide and regenerate. One behaviorist psychologist talks about engrams i.e. neural pathways that allow us to remember how to perform certain physiological activities. These pathways can be retrained so neural firing takes a new route. This is how physiotherapy works after say a head injury or a stroke.

If we do not provide the body , in this case the brain (and central nervous system) with the proteins and lipids it requires this cannot happen. In modern society we do not consume nearly enough of the omega lipids because we eat too many foods containing saturated fats and not enough seeds, nuts and fish. Coconut oil is an exception to the saturated fat hypothesis as, although it is mainly saturated fat, the fat is only a medium chained triglyceride distinguishing it from e.g. eat a steak dinner. We eat far too many fast foods because we are busy. One in four Americans are over weight for this reason. It is cheap, convenient and families can spend more time with each other, but it is rubbish for our health; our cardiovascular systems, G.I. tracts and our brains.

My regards for your health, wealth and especially security. My love to everything on earth and the earth itself (including you).

My kindest regards to you,
spacemon.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

edit on 28-2-2012 by spacemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
You may want to read this post here that I made.
It may seem like no relevance with your thread but hey, the way I look at it does.
COPPER
Copper Deficiency Looks to be the cause, share it make all aware, happy days

edit on 28-2-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Given that Alzheimer's and other dementias have gone from non-existent to rare to pandemic in the course of a few decades, how can you say it's genetic? Did some guy with contaminated genes take a junket and do half the world's women back in the 50's?

...Do you know about epigenetics, and the role prions play in epigenetics and the evolutionary process?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Dear soficrow.

I have starred your comment because I think it is poignant to the discussion. However genetic mutations occur as a result of radiation or chemical interaction. I spent a lot of my time at university looking at these mutations though a microscope. These mutations can then be passed on to our offspring. They can be beneficial or can be harmful (e.g. causing cancer). So aboutface is correct about it, being in the majority of cases genetic and hereditary.

Because of wireless technology and especially the increase in mobile phone use and the resulting background microwave radiation, we are more prone to genetic mutations than ever before. Microwave masts have never been so abundant (no prizes for guessing why). Also, the advent of chemicals and genetic engineering used to produce our food is also a contributing factor.

Our neurological system is electrical, so we in effect act as a aerial for radiation. This includes alpha, beta, delta, theta and x-rays.

However I find the epigenetic and prion theory very interesting and am exploring it in more detail. Thank you for mentioning it.

My regards, spacemon

edit on 29-2-2012 by spacemon because: missed info

edit on 29-2-2012 by spacemon because: missed info

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Thanks spacemon - great post. ...I agree that our exposure to mutagens has increased, but do not think genetic mutations explain even half of the so-called "genetic" diseases we see today. More likely, most of what's going on is epigenetic, and remains reversible. I happen to find prions very interesting - they are one mechanism for inheritable (and reversible) epigenetic change, but there are more.

Thanks again.

PS. You might be interested in the presentations at the Ipsen Alzheimer Disease series: "Proteopathic Seeds and Neurodegenerative Diseases."

What at first seemed an unusual mechanism restricted to a rather rare group of diseases has now become central to the study of all neurodegenerative conditions: the pathogenic proteins that characterise these diseases all seem to behave like prions. The implications for understanding how these diseases are transmitted through the nervous system and the possibility that environmental contamination may account for the sporadic forms of these diseases, as well as therapeutic possibilities, were among the topics discussed by the thirteen international experts, including two Nobel Prize winners, at the 27th annual colloquium on Alzheimer's disease, hosted by the Fondation IPSEN.

edit on 29/2/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Thanks for your question. In the past, such specific disorders and diseases were lumped together and simply attributed to 'senility', except for Huntington's which stood apart with lineage charts for the disease being monitored and updated. Senility evolved into 'senile dementia' and not that long ago the term was divided into a couple of forms and until very recently people received that as a diagnosis. So in that sense I wonder if it is a new phenomenon altogether. It was not fashionable to talk about it, should someone in the family be "stricken" as the vocabulary of the past dictated. Social changes in the past century included the necessary increased development of specialized nursing homes for the aged, as daughters went out to work and no longer were able to care for ailing family members. That's when observation played a role in describing the subtle differences. Science followed on the heels of observation, imo.

Oh wow. I had not looked into prions until now, but i do appreciate your post immediately above this one, and link to the article! Thanks so much.
edit on 29-2-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Thanks aboutface - this is a very important thread, imo. It brings home the message that epigenetic changes are reversible - and highlights the need for broad screening and personalized medicine. Maxmar started another thread that deals with the general diagnostics and by implication, personalized medicine - I'd like to contribute more, but can't now. Maybe you can, or at least get more info on the topic. Alzheimer’s, Lung Cancer - Blood Test for Early Diagnosis In the Pike.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Sorry for being an ignorant Britt and being the new boy to the site, but what does imo mean?

Kindest regards, spacemon.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

(laughing out loud) ...Reminds me of when I first came to this site and unwittingly flamed a mod -
- I was just playing around and thought the graphic was cool. Now that's ignorant, imo (in my opinion).

Have a good day, spacemon.
(smiling nicely)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

All in all it appears that we have reached an important crossroad where prion work can be advanced. It seems to me that they must merge with the current research in all complementary fields. It should not be a question of who is right but rather 'how well can we effect a reversal and how soon?' I hope the families and those who suffer can get some relief sooner than later.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Ha! To underline the point made earlier about scientists speaking out about the governent's trying to silence researchers, there's an article today in Nature magazine about how Canada is muzzling its scientists. one article here

and here's the Nature Magazine link
edit on 2-3-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Good god I have some homework to do now. I feel like some kind of cave man. We were not taught about prions at uni never mind epigenetics (just genetics). soficrow has come up with some inspiring info and sites as you have yourself. I will be commenting further when I can make some informed comments on the matter and have viewed all the info.

You have all been an inspiration.

My kindest regards, spacemon

edit on 2-3-2012 by spacemon because: missing comment

edit on 2-3-2012 by spacemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Dear aboutface.

Bloody interesting article by “Nature”. I’m glad the subject earlier in your thread about how governments are controlling scientific research was mentioned. This journal article gets straight to the point. I have used this journal a lot as a student when doing my environmental biology studies.

The pharmaceutical companies own the government in all countries, because of their multinational” economic clout”. We already discussed how they have this influence. It is almost like bribery, the politicians are forced to make decisions based on companies that are the most lucrative in order to appease the population and spend more money on bombs and bullets (this applies to England but I don’t know about Canada). Governments are owned by the few and most affluent. The media are merely there as vehicle for the government to justify their actions. In other words they tell what they want us to hear. Thank god for the internet and alternative media such as ATS.

I urge you read “Tales from the Time Loop” (David Icke, 2003) in relation to this and “The Biggest Secret” (same author). Don’t have the date because my sister misplaced it when moving.

In England our government are the most controlling, dishonest freaks you can think of e.g. they have been trying to occupy Afghanistan for nearly hundreds of years; the vast majority of the population disagree with it (our young men are just getting hurt both physically and emotionally). If we left them alone they would not even know we existed, so what is the our governments agenda?

There is no such thing as a democracy in this world while it is a lovely concept. In any case a famous quote for you, “how can a democracy ever work when the majority are always wrong” (Socrates).

Obviously pharmaceutical companies want to keep the ill unwell to maintain their power and influence over our governments and therefore the population for the above reasons.

In short, they want to keep our populations ill so they can make more cash and have more control. power and wealth grabbing freaks.

When I mentioned love in a previous post this is how, why, on a spiritual level we can raise our consciousness to the fifth dimension which is why I gave you that hollow earth references/ link.

Don’t’ worry I did not mean that personally but I do have love for everything (on earth, esp. plants, animals) which is why I studied medicine. including our mother, Earth. And no, I am not religious at all and do not ascribe to any world religion.

My absolute kindest regards, spacemon

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I think you might be interested in a bit I posted on thirdrock69's thread Alzheimer's brain cells grown from skin cells of Down's syndrome patients. ...It's too long to repost here (took 2 posts) but deals with epigenetics, genetics, and the potential for environmentally induced epigenetic changes to become genetic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Dear soficrow.

Will be responding to you soon mate about the the prion and epigenetics theories. I've just got to do a bit more homework so I can give an intelligent response (Glad I gave you a laugh in my last response). Thank you very much for the references (and explaining what "imo" means). These are subjects that do tnot exist in my text books (wonder why?). We were only taught at uni about DNA,, RNA, mutagens and the effects of viruses and bacteria and then looked at them through microscopes.

Cheers again for the corresponding links. I love medical jargon. I have to say what I have read so far has opened my mind. Again I will get back to you.

I really do appreciate your input and the scientific inspiration you have given me.

My kindest regards,
spacemon

edit on 2-3-2012 by spacemon because: missing comment

edit on 2-3-2012 by spacemon because: typos

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join