It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McMaster researchers reverse Huntington's disease in mice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

McMaster researchers reverse Huntington's disease in mice

www.thespec.com

Dr. Ray Truant’s lab worked with scientists from Alberta and discovered pumping measured amounts of ganglioside GM1, a lipid, into the sick rodents’ brains restored the mice to their normal motor functions.

While researchers expected to halt the disease’s progression or minimize its neurodegenerative effects, they were surprised to see the mice back to “completely normal,” Truant said.

“Not only did we halt the disease, but somehow the brain had managed to repair itself.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pnas.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Huntington's Disease

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is epic! At last a breakthrough that can be worked with! The researchers say are searching for drug companies that will produce GM1 or something akin to it in order to move the process forward towards clinical trials, and that treatment may be four years or so away.

The researchers are approaching this news cautiously however, stating that there are hardly any cures in medicine. Rather, they are discussing potential for treatment. Well, whatever the language they use, I'm sure people with the gene will be most happy to read about this breakthrough.

www.thespec.com
edit on 14-2-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thats fantastic news ! This has so many applications . Hopefully we can get the kinks out and bring it forth to many who could use this treatment.

Not everyone with bran damage can use this , i know a few hippies that could use a dosage or two

“Not only did we halt the disease, but somehow the brain had managed to repair itself.”

If that isn't cure i don't know what it ! Woot repairs in the brain ! fix my brain after some damage haha

suddenly i wanna go sky diving and bunjee jumping ! lol

not that far yet into repairs?
well i'l wait then lol

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Sorry, but nowhere does it say there's a cure for hippiedumb, err hippiedom.
Thanks for the laugh though. It really is an amazing find.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

This is epic! At last a breakthrough that can be worked with! The researchers say are searching for drug companies that will produce GM1 or something akin to it in order to move the process forward towards clinical trials, and that treatment may be four years or so away.

The researchers are approaching this news cautiously however, stating that there are hardly any cures in medicine. Rather, they are discussing potential for treatment. Well, whatever the language they use, I'm sure people with the gene will be most happy to read about this breakthrough.

www.thespec.com

I wonder if they will or have researched this connection

Insulin decreases GM1

Should be worth a look at least.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

One would expect that they have conducted an extensive review of the literature before selecting to use the GM1 and It must be in the bibliography. But it's a good question as to how this has returned the mice to normal and is this normalcy sustained?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I can see that not many people have responded to your thread. However I am a Lab technician in biochemistry and I am fascinated by medicine. I completed my Hons. degree at Bournemouth University in Medical Sciences in 2003. I have a massive library of books. A bit of revision needs to be done on Huntington’s chorea. I have also worked with people with “learning disabilities” and know what people with dementia experience.

I will respond to your thread (on ATS) as soon as I have done my revision. Thank you for posting this as I was not aware of it, it gives me something to sink my teeth into. Please note that my Pharmacology unit was 4 years in duration and I have worked in two different pharmacies; I know what is going on.

I fear that if it is a cure the pharmaceutical companies will not appreciate. This is why I refused to progess to medical school as it is not in their financial interests to cure people. They cannot sell their drugs if people are cured. We are talking about the richest multinationtal companies in the world here and this is why.

Please see the following book by a doctor that renounced her profession:

The Medical Mafia: How to Get Out of it Alive and Take Back Our Health and Wealth by Dr. Guylaine Lanctot, M.D. (Dec 1995).

I do remember from my studies that the gene is located on chromosome 4 and, along with dementia, involuntary movements, behavioural disturbances can occur.

Please note I will put a response to your thread on ATS a.s.a.p. Thanking very much again for your info.

Kindest regards,
Spacemon.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemon

Thanks for your input. The news last night did a mini exposé of how cancer drugs that children rely on are no longer being manufactured because there was not enough of a profit margin for the producers. It just begs the question as to why they cannot be produced by someone else, if they are that helpful.

As you stated, I am looking forward to further input from you. ETA. Can you tell me how you came upon this thread? I know it has not turned up on the firehoses, and to my knowledge, it was only on the RSS feed for a short time.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Would this mean that this treatment could be beneficial to dementia patients? (I'm not very familiar with Huntingtons, other than dementia is a symptom)

Wonderful news regardless for those that suffer from this.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jewells

It would be nice if that were the case, but this disease is a horrible hereditary genetic disease that is really debilitating and progressively degenerating.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jewells

Dear jewells

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to this site.

But the answer to your question is yes, Dementia can be treated with this same lipid raft (i.e. ganglioside GM1). Dementia is a symptom of various other central nervous system disorders apart from Huntington’s chorea e.g. Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome, Pick’s disease and obviously Alzheimer’s.

Despite them all being hereditary (in the majority of cases) and on different gene loci e.g. Huntington’s being on chromosome 4, Alzheimer’s on chromosome 21, GM1 can be indicated and effective in dementia resulting from all of these disorders.

I recommend a book by nutritionist/ psychologist Patrick Holford: “Optimum Nutrition for the Mind”. It is good for the general population and explains how lipid (e.g omega 3, 6, 9) especially fish oils are essential for maintaining brain development. Regards, spacemon.

edit on 15-2-2012 by spacemon because: I put chromosome 22 instead of 21 (typos)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Dear aboutface. Please refer to my response above to jewells. I have cut and pasted a link below from a website for you that I used a lot as a student. Research is currently well underway. If you need an explanation for any of it, and you are still interested, please respond and I will clarify; there is a lot of jargon in it.

www.sciencedirect.com...

If you are interested in how corrupt the pharmaceutical industry is also, I still urge you to read the book I mentioned in my original response to you “ The Medical Mafia”. It is also interesting how they tried to get vitamins banned as they prevent illness. Not good for their bank accounts.

They have also succeeded in getting quite a few herbal remedies banned also, an example being GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid), an amino acid that people who suffer with chronic anxiety (accompanied by panic attacks) lack. So they have to get diazepam from their doctor instead. More cash for the pharmaceutical companies. I have successfully got one of my friends off diazepam by giving GABA (before it was banned). Their doctor approved it and was very impressed with the results. She has never needed the drug again

Another example is the over- prescribing of fluoxetine (Prozac), the 2 sole share holders in the company being Bush and a brother of Bin Laden. Read Michael Moore, "Dude Were Is My Country". The herbal drug Hypericum (St John's Wort) is equally effective in treating depression, it's even in the BNF (British National formulary). In the BNF it states that a side effect of Prozac is suicide, the very thing it should be preventing in the depressed; Ironic.

Fingers crossed for the development of the anti Huntington's lipid. Sorry to be such a cynic but if a cure is developed, it will never make it to market. It is a fat naturally present in cells (that people with Huntington's and other dementia related illness's are deficient in), and the pharmaceutical companies do not like natural.

Thank you for the info about the cancer drug, I will be looking into that. Kind regards, Spacemon

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the book and online reference and for making yourself available to interpret.
In the meantime here's the list of the chemotherapy shortages in the USA and Canada
Carboplatin
Cisplatin
Cytarabine
Vincristine
Mitomycin
Source

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I really understand where you're coming from about their finding/or not a drug company to produce GM1. I want to be optimistic and hope some new company will form to produce it if the big ones say no. It can be a rotten world out there and sometimes you just have to shake your head at the deceit and game of the BigPharma players. Spin and outright lies. (I fought unsuccessfully against BigPharma lobby in the mid-90s)

This is why the Huntington Disease Association will have to keep the public informed on their progress and run a media campaign if necessary to get it produced. Meanwhile at least many people on ATS will know through my signature file that the disease has been totally reversed in mice. It's not much, considering what's at stake.

BTW, welcome to ATS.
I only now realized you just recently joined. I would encourage you to go into the ATS intro forum and put up your intro thread, because by replying to people there you can quickly accumulate your 20 posts needed to put up your own threads about all the info you're possessing and need to share with us all. I am particularly looking forward to your comments and info on natural remedies.

edit on 15-2-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Dear aboutface.
Thank you very much for the list of chemotherapy drugs that are in shortage, for the welcome, and advice on how to use this site. I spent 2 hours working out how to upload an avatar and had to phone a friend in the end! What an amateur I am at the mo. Getting used to it now though.

It is no coincidence that the drugs that cause fewer side effects are the ones that are in shortage. Drugs with a wide range of side effects means that more drugs are required to treat those side effects. What better way for the pharmaceutical companies to expand their target market and therefore profits? I've witnessed this first hand when I used to work in the pharmacy. Patients would need increasing number of drugs in order to treat the side effects, then the side effects of the drugs used to treat the side effects. They ended up on so many drugs they used to rattle!

Impressive about your lobbying against a pharmaceutical company. Which one was it?

Just out of interest (not that it matters) are you based in Canada, USA, Britain or none of these? I only ask as the same drugs sometimes have different trade names in Britain to those over the other side of the pond.
Kindest regards, spacemon.

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: missing info

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: grammar

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: justification

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Re the book The Medical Mafia........

Essential reading for everyone

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Most welcome. Ha, that's a really cute avatar. Well if you're uploading pics, you're one step up on me, as I am really challenged when it comes to uploading graphics.

I am in Canada, across the pond, as you Brits so charmingly put it. As for some of my former activities, my input was invited by the government (I was the health officer for a big organization) on a legal proposal all the big companies were pushing for. Those were mad days, consulting and joining with many other forces to try to counter that most powerful lobby, working late, traveling, losing sleep in the slight chance that the end would not be so predictable.

Back on topic, while we know the agenda of the big corporations, what do you think the chances might be of a smaller company coming along to fill some of the void?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Dear aboutface.
I knew you were Canadian rather than American. I should not really say this but you write too well to be the latter. My cousins are all Canadian and live in Ontario (so I have a bit of bias). I loved Toronto. As we seem to be the only two left discussing your thread and are interested in pharmaceutical conspiracy, I don’t think anyone will notice this comment. I don’t want to offend anyone. Only talking from experience.

Glad you liked the avatar, I just typed in space monster into Google images and uploaded it. Who is that in your avatar?

Thank you for giving me your very interesting background information. It makes it easier for me to target the type info that might be of interest you and relevant to your thread.

In answer to your question, in my opinion, I do think that smaller companies would be bullied out of developing GM1 by the big, dominating multinationals. They like to monopolise. The larger companies would be financially threatened by it as, in theory, it will probably work (to verify this type in “scholarly articles, Huntington’s GM1 raft lipid” into Google. The previous website I gave you is also pretty comprehensive on the subject). Curing people as we have discussed is not in their interest.

I have found that researchers' that refuse to stop on the larger companies request tend to disappear. It is after all these massive multinational companies that dictate the decisions our top politicians make based on economics (I can send you many more accurate articles to verify this and it is plentiful). It applies to not only pharmaceutical companies but to petrochemical companies v. alternative power companies, agricultural pesticide and genetic engineering companies v. organic farming etc.

An example of the disappearance of people who oppose the establishment has been demonstrated in England by a bloke named Dr. Kelly. He was assigned by the United Nations to go and investigate the “weapons of mass destruction” situation in Iraq. On returning to England he said that there weren't any, and six months later got “knocked off”, murdered. His assessment went against the U.N. s justification to go to war and steal another countries oil. Famous quote: “If you want to rule the world, you need to control oil”, (Michel Collon). This is why the petrochemical companies abhor alternative energy.

The same principle applies in medical research. It’s all down to economics and the “fat cats” remaining in the position of complete control they are in. The stronger a country’s economy the more power over the world they have and politicians are all about power and control; they love it. I am aware that it may not be the same with your government, but this is exactly the mentality of ours in England.

I have so much more info to give you if you are interested. Sorry about the long reply to your question but I could “bang –on” forever on this subject, probably about ten pages worth! When my book is finished I will tell you. "Modern Medicine Meets Mind and Metaphysics" is the title

One question for you if you don't mind me asking. What was the Canadian government's intention by hiring you to challenge the pharmaceutical industry?

I apologise if this sounds a bit intrusive, but you have a fascinating background, it is relevant to the thread and you have provoked my interest in it.

BTW you would probably enjoy the film “Michael Clayton”, also relevant here.
Kindest regards, spacemon.

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: missing statement

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: missing statements

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: put face in wrong place, i am still a rookie.

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: Punctuation error

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Sorry did not paste this link for you on the previous response:

Pharmaceutical Corruption Media Articles
Excerpts of Key Pharmaceutical Corruption Media Articles from Major Media

www.wanttoknow.info...

Also, I was wondering what got you interested in Health & Medicine?

edit on 16-2-2012 by spacemon because: missing enquiry.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I think that most of us on ATS feel that Dr Kelly did not commit suicide. Nor did many insiders who disappeared in the tobacco industry, or certain ones connected to 9/11, etc. As for my past activity, the organization I worked for was invited into consultation by the government to refute or agree with the proposal. The govt. did this with various pertinent consumers/client groups when they held consultations on proposed changes. (I never was hired by the govt.) I don't know if the current government consults anyone anymore. The world seems to be polarizing, doesn't it?

I hear what you say in terms of the agendas and methods of bigPharmas, but I have to respecfully disagree with you in terms of *obvious* outcomes in this case. Now that the downside of development has been exposed to some degree, we still know that there are those who will indeed recognize the obstacles, but nevertheless they will stand up and fight for a positive outcome, no matter what type of difficulties stand in the way. We not only need to, we just simply have to, and there are so many gifted and creative people out there. Too many people need to be able to undergo clinical trials and eventual treatment. Huntington's disease, Parkinsons, etc are not the property of the elderly. (Think of the actor Michael J. Fox, for instance) We cannot be this close and allow anyone to stop here.

Despite the corruption that exists all around us, we still must find and believe in those who still stand for something. We must ferret them out and support and assist them and work with them. Some of us will pick and choose this kind of battle if need be, rather than take up destructive arms. I have seen what these diseases do to people and their loved ones. I will align my efforts with those who want to see an end to this type of unnecessary hell if a treatment is indeed in the wings. After all, the researchers who made the discovery have not said they are giving up.

"May the force be with us all."

(I also invite anyone else who has remained silent to join in this discussion. What do you think? )

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join