It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop allegedly pulled gun on pregnant woman over too many grocery items in checkout

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The crap is really getting deep. I've been aggravated by people going through express checkout with a cart load. I ragged at them. Never felt like pulling a gun on them. At least it is being investigated. Or so some say.
Raw Story

Police in Kendall County, Illinois said Friday that they were investigating whether an off-duty officer drew his firearm and pointed it at a pregnant woman because she had more items than Walmart recommends for self-checkout lanes.

Nicole Thurmond and husband Jason were reportedly checking out recently at a Walmart store in Oswego, Illinois when a man confronted them wearing civilian clothing, not identifying himself as an officer. The couple said it was only after his gun was drawn that the man told onlookers he was a police officer.

edit on Mon Feb 13 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: mod edit to add snippet

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If this is true, then it is one of many infrequent incidences which happen everywhere. There's always going to be a percentage of crazy cops. I think I'm more angry at them clearly ignoring the check out rules, but I think that's due to their weight, but that's more of a personal judgement.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Cops seem to love drawing guns and resorting to violence over absolutely nothing. Most of them think they're gods who can do anything they want. They're backed by corrupt buddies anyway...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If this turns out to be true, he should be fired. This man has clearly let the power go to his head if he thinks he can confront people, with a gun over too many items for a certain isle.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
LOL that's messed up.

I've been to that same Walmart a few times.

But Kendall county sheriff/deputy's are complete d****

I probably encountered the cop before.
edit on 12-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Someone should have been there at Chuck-E-Cheeses to draw a gun on the kids that cut in front of me in line...........

I wated in line for 15 minutes to cash in my kids tickets and this kid cuts in fron tof me......:flame

I really am dissapointed in the world this morning/afternoon

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
He is just like any other punk...starts # then pulls a gun to show how tough he is. He was in Illinois so he was pretty sure the other guy wasn't carrying one( If he was law-abiding anyway).

Peace

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Technically, according to the story, the cop pulled the gun on her husband who had pushed him away. The title(this thread and article) is a bit misleading.

None the less, this man should be fired. Serious control issues methinks.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Somone breaking the law, pregnant or not is subject to the law still, just more gently perhaps, as a pregnant woman is unlikly to make a run for it.

If the story is true, that it was just over some completly petty crime or disagreement then obvously, MAJOR shame on that cop. Disgraceful.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I want to start being productive in cases like this, I would call the Sheriff's Office but I have no idea what to say! I'm just a dumb hillbilly from Ky who has some hatred for the police force due to a select few like this #ing idiot. Anybody who thinks the woman is in the wrong is also an idiot, I am pretty sure we have all been over the item limit in the speed checkout lane, I know I have. If somebody in civilian clothes starts to pull a gun on me at WalMart I believe my military instincts would kick in and I would probably try to tackle him when I saw him reaching for it!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ShedAlert

Wow guy/girl, I hope you don't have a job with any kind of authority at all. Your judgement is clearly clouded by your dumbness, sorry for being a troll ATS but.....really, what is wrong with people/ShedAlert?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Its about time someone stands up to these fools who think that the rules don't apply to them. I don't know how many times i've been in the express lane at the store and some idiot thinks they can bring their whole cart full of groceries when it clearly says 15 items or less.

This is an obvious sign of the breakdown of society and before you know it these people will start disregarding other rules and laws in society. They obviously think they are more important than everyone else and that rules don't apply to them.

I appreciate this cop standing up for the rights of the average citizen. You don't want a gun pulled on you than follow the rules.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Jason Thurmond was subsequently arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery. The couple has filed a formal complaint, which sparked the inquiry.

Misdemeanor battery? For pushing a loud aggressive man away from my a pregnant wife? The cop is lucky he lived to see another day! If my wife was pregnant, and some guy was in her face, and I pushed him away, and he reached for a gun, he would have never seen another day on this Earth! Guaranteed, cop or no cop!

And, for that matter, now that the whole situation is over, if the charges were not immediately dropped, and if an apology did not come from the cop and the department, then he could expect a random visit from me sometime in the distant future when the whole situation was just a memory, and when I would never be considered a suspect any longer.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kenrichaed

Are you serious? SHE IS A PREGNANT WOMAN THAT HAD TOO MANY ITEMS AT A CHECKOUT LANE IN WALMART!!!!!!!!! There is no way in hell she deserved to be harassed let along having a gun pulled on her. WOW, JUST WOW!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Its about time someone stands up to these fools who think that the rules don't apply to them.

Please. An altercation over 30 items instead of 20 items or some stupid B.S. like that? Aren't we supposed to act like adults after we're grown? I wouldn't even let my kids moan about anything as trivial as that. Sometimes I go through that line with one item, sometimes maybe its 25. Sometimes I get really frustrated as someone tries 10 different payment types, and they all get declined, but I also have some empathy for a fellow human being trying to do the best they can. You have no idea of their situation in life, and is it really that important to get out of Walmart 2 minutes sooner?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

At least some of us have some common sense! I agree, if someone pulled a gun on my wife, let me put it this way...he better buy one hell of an alarm system for his house!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by uscitizen859

Yes she did. What, does her being pregnant all of a sudden make her not able to count. She is impeding on other shoppers rights who may need to get out of the store quickly. Does she think that being pregnant allows her to not follow the clearly marked rules?

I bet that if you had followed this couple outside that they were parked in a handicapped zone too. People like this don't believe that rules apply to them.

Great job by the officer and i'm going to send him a Thank You note!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Its about time someone stands up to these fools who think that the rules don't apply to them.

Please. An altercation over 30 items instead of 20 items or some stupid B.S. like that? Aren't we supposed to act like adults after we're grown? I wouldn't even let my kids moan about anything as trivial as that. Sometimes I go through that line with one item, sometimes maybe its 25. Sometimes I get really frustrated as someone tries 10 different payment types, and they all get declined, but I also have some empathy for a fellow human being trying to do the best they can. You have no idea of their situation in life, and is it really that important to get out of Walmart 2 minutes sooner?

Acting like an adult would be following the rules which this couple clearly did not. I am glad they were called out on it.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Sure, call them out, maybe a little embarrassment will keep them from doing it next time. Fine. You don't lose your temper and go crazy on them. You don't get in their face. In fact, even calling them out is quite a risk. What if she just found out the pregnancy is going very bad, she just left the doctor, she is supposed to be on bedrest, she is trying to hurry home and get laid down to try and not lose the baby, she is stressed out and volatile. I can tell you, as a husband and a father, you never know what situation I am in, and getting in my wife's face over some stupid B.S. on the wrong day might get you killed. Not trying to be a tough guy or a braggart, just saying everyone has problems in their life, and you never know someone's reasoning behind their actions, and a few extra items in a shopping cart is nothing to lose your life over.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Your not taking into consideration that WalMart has more than one express lane, that maybe the couple were in a rush for an important reason. The appropriate action the cop should have taken is contact the store manager and if anything had her banned from the store although that would be dumb as hell also! We are not all perfect human beings like you and follow every single little rule. I'm done talking to you, just continue to be a perfect idiot!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join