It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Dies, Million Cry. Millions Die, No One Cries

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alleycat

While I partly agree with your post, they certainly do not choose their lifestyle. These people dont actually get the majority of the aid that is given to them. Their governments steal it from them so they can continue to live in luxury while their people suffer. It was not all that many decades ago that similar conditions existed in the UK, Victorian England was notorious for an extremely poor under class and stupidly wealthy upper class. And that was an improvement on previous times.

We should definitely NOT be feeling guilty for living in a wealthy nation, one that had learned from the lessons of the past and learned to share and play fair(er) with its citizens. We definitely should be rising up against the elite who are trying to return us to those bad old days. What we have was hard fought for by our ancestors. Its such a shame that pride, arrogance and corruption has crept in and is destroying Western culture.

Unfortunately it really matters little how much money, food or clothing you supply to these people, they are not likely to receive it. Their governments are the ultimate in corruption. It is heartbreaking to see it, but while our own goernments are only interested in "liberating" oil-rich nations, what else can there be done about it?
edit on 13-2-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

All starving Children are important - I do not think anyone on this site would dispute the fact that that there are starving Children everywhere.

One starving Child is one too many -- anywhere.

We are here to discuss the topic of this thread - the problem of starving Children is an enormous problem and we have to make a start - at least this thread is a start. That is better than no response to this thread - or a total response of not interested and don't care - so all up - I think this thread is a start....

Much Peace...to all the starving Children who will take their final breath as I write this - many of us care we are trying to find our way - guide us now that you are in Spirit..

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

There aren't starving kids like there are in Africa. We give free meals to elementary schools. Also, there is WIC and food stamp programs in the USA.

We also have CPS, etc.etc.
edit on 13-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Let me say this : after working in the homeless field for seven years, I can honestly say that there are starving children in America. Maybe not to the extent that one sees in Ethiopia or Somalia, but there are kids in this country who go without. WE see the images of starving African children, and we should send them aid as they are fellow humans created just like we were, but you seldom see the homegrown variety. Yes, we have CPS, WIC, EBT, etc, but what if those kids don't have access? What if the kids are so called "street rats", with nothing and no one to turn to? They don't get the big humanitarian concerts like Band Aid or Feed the World.

Just my two cents.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

I talked to a woman from Africa and her two year old son was held up by a ankle and they took a machete and killed him (soldiers/rebels)?

She said many women are commonly raped over there and the poor ones can't afford birth control.

That picture puts one's problems in perspecstion, doesn't it?

Next time any of us on ATS has a problem, we should just look at that to jolt us back to reality.

Shamefully, and I am a shamed to admit this.............I went out to my living room last night after putting that picture up and looked at my dog with her two cushy beds, her box of toys and a full bowl of clean water and her favorite kind of food.

I wish, although I'm too old to start raising kids now, I sincerely wish I could bring that kid over here, we have a extra bedroom and enough food.

Do give to a Hunger Relief program but don't know if they see my money.

Maybe ATS can in honor of Whitney and this thread list the top five Hunger Relief Programs that really do get the most bang for your buck.

Just curious.

My dog was six hours away from being gassed in Georgia....................but no human child should have to go through being born into a hell hole like that, neither should any animal.

A star for your humanity, but my heart aches looking at that picture again.

Something is wrong with the way our planet is doing business.
edit on 13-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by alleycat

Africa, yes my nephew the one who got back from Antarctica recently, had joined the Peace Corps for four years and was stationed in Africa.

Africa is slowly but surely being turned into a desert plus their governments are corrupted beyond belief.

X said that he now does not take soap, water, toilet paper, a flush toilet, a facet of running water, a refrigerator, a dish washer, a TV, food, clean clothes, a washer, dryer, etc..............all the things we commonly use day after day for granted.

My nephew cut his hand and it took them two days to get him to a clinic to be seen by a nurse.

Just relaying stories from the side of my husband's family that are world travelers.

My nephew (in law) while he was born into a family that planned for him and they've always had quite a bit of money but and I proudly say this - my sister in law (special ed teacher for 30+ years) had all her children join the Peace Corps and give four years to people less fortunate.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Please don't tell me to shut up - that is a rude and ignorant response. You don't have to agree with me. I actually agree - this thread will not feed a starving Child but what it will do - is incite peoples intellect. That is where you start waking people up by stimulating their intellect - not telling people to shut up.

Children will continue to starve while we chat on this website - yes. At least we are not drinking ourselves stupid in a bar or having mindless sex with a stranger or numbing out with a myriad choice of medications - we are gathering and we are realising - that is a start.

Telling people to shut up - that sends us back to a place of anger and resentment and frustration. People who are filled with anger, frustration and resentment - do not help anyone - do not add support to a situation and only divide people. The evil that controls this world would be proud of you - playing the game just as they planned - keep them angry and frustrated and keep them divided - they'll never make any leeway.

Much Peace...you obviously need some...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Some help when, and where, they can. Great.

Some help all the time because they can. That's great, too.

Some don't, because they can't. They've their own issues to deal with. Completely understandable.

Some don't help because they don't want to. Not so great...but who are any of us to judge them? Don't judge a person 'til you've walked in their shoes.

Not sure why, other than the topic, why people are getting so wound up emotionally, and taking it out on each other. What good does it do? Really...?

Any needless death is tragic...more so when it's children who have done nothing to anyone... It's built into us to want to help, to protect, to nurture. ...and it's heartrending when we can't, or if what we do seems so little. As much as we want to, we can't save them all, would that we could... But every thing that we do, does save one, maybe more, and that's a victory to be celebrated, and should help encourage us to do more of what we can.

Don't allow understandable frustration over the one's we can't save to undermine helping those we can save...both in Africa, and in your own homes.

So let's ease of a bit on the personal back and forth, and discuss what can be done to help. Casting blame about won't do anything but cause a needless amount of drama. Isn't the subject matter drama enough?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
The media isn't a valid representation of reality.

Smartest sentence I've read on ATS so far today.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

One billion people are now starving

Here is a list of some of Whitney Houston's charity work over the decades:

The Whitney Houston Foundation For Children: Formed in 1989, the WHFC aids sick and homeless children, and works toward the prevention of child abuse, teaches children to read, and has built inner city parks and playgrounds. In past years, the foundation also has hosted a Christmas party for homeless children.

The United Negro College Fund is a favorite Whitney Houston charity. She raised a quarter of a million dollars for the UNCF at a 1988 Madison Square Garden concert, appeared on at least two "Lou Rawls Parade of Stars" telethons to benefit the UNCF, and has been honored by the organization for her consistent giving with the Frederick D. Patterson Award. One of Whitney Houston's first gigs was a benefit concert for the UNCF in which she sang "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie."

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation: Whitney Houston regularly attends their "Carousel of Hope" charity gala and was honored for her giving in 1996 with the Brass Ring Award.

St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital: Founded by the late actor Danny Thomas, this hospital helps critically-ill children without asking for money from their parents or guardians. It is subsidized completely by charitable giving. Whitney Houston has given so much to the hospital over the years that the founder's daughter, Marlo Thomas, honored her at a charity banquet in 1994.

South Africa: The announcement that Whitney Houston would participate in the 1988 Freedom Fest concert event (for a then-imprisoned Nelson Mandela) drew other artists and much media attention. In 1994, Whitney also toured in South Africa, giving concert proceeds to numerous children's charities including two children's museums, the President's Trust Fund (for the freed Nelson Mandela), the Kagiso Foundation and several orphanages. In the 1980s, when Whitney was an up-and-coming fashion model, she also refused to work for any company that did business in then-Apartheid South Africa.

American Red Cross: Whitney Houston donated all of her proceeds from the single and home video sales of her Superbowl XXV rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" to benefit Gulf War troops and their families. Whitney's record company followed suit. Whitney was elected a member of the American Red Cross Board of Directors in 1991.

New York Firefighters and Police: Whitney Houston re-released "The Star Spangled Banner" charity single to benefit the New York Firefighters Disaster Relief Fund and the New York Fraternal Order of Police Fund following terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. She waived her royalty rights to the single, which went on to top the U.S. sales charts in October 2001 and raised more than $1 million.

The Children's Defense Fund: All of Whitney Houston's proceeds from her two "Classic Whitney" concerts in Washington, D.C., totaling a quarter of a million dollars, were donated to this charity.

The National Birth Defects Center: The Boston area center named its Hearing & Language Disorder Clinic after Whitney due to her giving.

UMDNJ University Hospital: The Newark, N.J.-based hospital named its Pediatric Special Care Unit after Whitney Houston due to her giving.

Hale House: Whitney Houston donated enough to this Harlem-based charity that they were able to build a Learning & Recreation Center.

Rainbow House: Whitney Houston has provided financial assistance to this shelter for adolescent mothers and for children with HIV and AIDS.

Russian Aid Fund: In February 2004, Whitney donated 1 million rubles to the Aid Fund for victims of a bomb attack in the Moscow subway. The funds were raised by her performances in Moscow.

T.J. Martell Foundation: Whitney Houston has supported this foundation, which funds research for leukemia, cancer and AIDS.

Harlem Boys Choir, New Jersey State PBA, and The Youth of Atlantic City: Whitney donated proceeds from her only 1990 U.S. concert appearances to these three charities.

Debt Relief: Whitney supported a cyber petition by international debt relief campaign Jubilee 2000 to persuade world leaders to erase debt owed by 40 of the world's poorest nations.

Wyclef Jean Foundation: Whitney Houston participated in a Carnegie Hall benefit that earned about $250,000 for this foundation in January 1991.

Welcome Home Heroes: Whitney's Easter Sunday 1991 concert in Norfolk, Va., was free for returning Gulf War veterans and their families. HBO, which televised the event live, encouraged cable systems to descramble their signal so everyone could enjoy the show for free.

read 14 more examples of charity by Whitney Houson here: www.whitney-fan.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The Thread is NOT about Whitney Houston.

If this is what you interpreted from the photograph presented in the opening post, it is incorrect.

I started the thread to open people's eyes about misplaced emotions. people weep for a woman who made over 200 Millions in her career. that is 200,000,000.00 say you take 50k for living expenses and feed people with the rest, how many could be helped?

That is just one person. how many other multimillionairs and billionairs are there in america? 2% of the population? the states has 313,008,000 people (2011), that is 6,260,160 people who have say, 10,000,000.00 (average for the heck of it)..

do the math people, that would mean $ 62,601,600,000,000.00

AND PEOPLE ARE FRAGGEN DYING AND STARVING ??? W T F ??? and millions weep for the rich?

for the grace and compassion of modern society I award thee ...

[size=10]E P I C - F A I L

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

You're using her as an example of peoples lack of caring... Seemingly, in your opinion, people care more about her death, than they do the cruel reality of hunger in the world...

So if she happens to come up in the conversation... That's just the way it is.

As for your contention that people don't care? You would be mistaken, plain and simple. People do care. How else would there be so many charities that do such good work?

No, they can't save everyone... Would that they could. That'll have to come from those people themselves. All we can do, through charity and other helping hands, is hold the line until such time as these people can and will help themselves.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Oh puh-lease... look at the OP for crying out loud. Who's that girl on the left??? You used Whitney's passing as an excuse to initiate your political gripe-fest in behalf of starving children... and now your claiming this thread isn't about Whitney Houston.

edit on 13-2-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
reply to post by Glargod

Oh puh-lease... look at the OP for crying out loud. Who's that girl on the left??? You used Whitney's passing as an excuse to initiate your political gripe-fest in behalf of starving children... and now your claiming this thread isn't about Whitney Houston.

edit on 13-2-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

I hope that you don't expect an intelligent rhetoric. I'll refrain.

perhaps you can re-read the thread in its entirety and let seep in the applicable posts that say "misplaced emotions/feelings".

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod

perhaps you can re-read the thread in its entirety and let seep in the applicable posts that say "misplaced emotions/feelings".

There ya go... "the applicable posts that say 'misplaced emotions/feelings'."

I'm not going to re-read anything. You have no clue as to whose emotions/feelings are misplaced and whose are not... unless you want to fess up to being a mindreader. Some of us have a wide array of personal experiences that are permanently attached to Whitney's music. For me... her passing is like losing my best friend. You should not have exploited her death in order to promote your political agenda. I can't think of anything else to add.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So if we cried it would be all good????

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod

The Thread is NOT about Whitney Houston.

If this is what you interpreted from the photograph presented in the opening post, it is incorrect.

Ok then.

I started the thread to open people's eyes about misplaced emotions. people weep for a woman who made over 200 Millions in her career. that is 200,000,000.00 say you take 50k for living expenses and feed people with the rest, how many could be helped?

My previous post concerning Whitney Houston's charity work was shared by me to validate her fans' loyalties and their "misplaced emotions". Whitney was more than just a pop icon for many many people throughout the 80s and 90s. People deserve the right to celebrate her existance, and her talented accomplishments. She is someone people are going to miss.

And, perhaps, those same people who choose to mourn for her untimely passing also feel compassionately about hungry kids around the world.

I live in Illinois. Here in this state the residents of this state only see 75 cents in federal funding and assistance for every dollar we pay in federal taxes, which means we (Illinois) send 1/4 of all our taxes to other places. furthermore most of what we grow here in Illinois goes to feed third world countries, and goes to foreign markets. I'd say we are doing more than our part, I would think.

I just don't think EVERYONE should feel guilty or ashamed for grieving the passing of anyone while someone is hungry on the planet. I'm not sure if I share your enthusiasm for the comparison in the OP, but understand the sentiment.

[size=18]✌☮

edit on 13-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: typos and English.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
As I have read through this entire thread. It has occured to me that most want to help the folks like the ones in the pics. But most do not have the means, they have the desire, not the means. Ms. Houston had the means.

I see she gave to some charities, hand picked charities that have tax exempt status attached to them. Just as so many other "stars". What gets me is the stars get on t.v. and ask US to spend our hard earned paycheck helping those like in the photos. Who has the more to give, the "stars" or us normal 40 to 50 thousand a year folks?

The best way to help those folks like in your pics, is birth control. Plain & simple. I know I'll get flamed, but the truth is the truth. If you can't feed a child. don't have the child. If you have one you can't feed, do not have another & another. Ms. Houston wasted her life, in all respects, who cares she died?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
As I have read through this entire thread. It has occured to me that most want to help the folks like the ones in the pics. But most do not have the means, they have the desire, not the means. Ms. Houston had the means.

I see she gave to some charities, hand picked charities that have tax exempt status attached to them. Just as so many other "stars". What gets me is the stars get on t.v. and ask US to spend our hard earned paycheck helping those like in the photos. Who has the more to give, the "stars" or us normal 40 to 50 thousand a year folks?

The best way to help those folks like in your pics, is birth control. Plain & simple. I know I'll get flamed, but the truth is the truth. If you can't feed a child. don't have the child. If you have one you can't feed, do not have another & another. Ms. Houston wasted her life, in all respects, who cares she died?

Uhhhhh, you'll get reamed for that, but i 100% agree.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join