It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Marines Bought an SS Flag Without Knowing What it Was? Seriously? That’s Your Excuse?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

You are pretty funny. If you only have a clue. Never mind I doubt a clue could help you. I am about the most liberal person in my family and even I am criticized for it by my friends. But it takes a ultraliberal to consider what I said cultish.

I do believe liberals will destroy our way of life because they keep going further and further to the left. I pretty much consider myself right in the middle. People that have a problem with what the snipers are doing, are the ones with the problem. It's a alarmist mentality a bunch of whiners.

Have you ever stopped to think that people like you are the ones who give a symble power. God forgive anybody who tries to change things and in this case it would be for the better but no, people like yourself will make sure that SS has to be a bad thing. You people are pitiful.

BTW so there's a huge difference between 40 years and 60 some years. The Marines gave it a twenty-year cooling-off period before they adopted it but now 40 years later there are some liberal pansies making a fuss over it.

Great job.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It"s not that hard to understand and actualy appreciate these guys... they are in a sence the U.S. Elite Snipers. Just like the Nazi Super soldiers Even if someone" accidently " didn't realize what would happen,I think that they have every right to use a simble that is SO Impressionable,and FEARFUL. I look at it and instantly see scary people I don't want to mess with....because of my education ,.But if I remember correctly this is an old Sumarian symbol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FUnny how 12 21 2012 [if you know the mayan history then you should know where this is going ,,they believe in ancient sumarian history.] I don't know .. it may be the whiskey but I know what Im tryin to say .Anyone one on my page ,or am I alone on this.....

To end I say If you aren't a super sniper than you don't get to worry what symbol or drawing they get to use for their flag or moral builder ...... shame on anyone offended
edit on 12-2-2012 by 2012nwaiting because: wanted to add

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I could buy that they didn't know what it was.

That "SS" logo has been used before and since by non-Nazis and if some people don't even know what the Buddhist symbol that the Nazi Party took for itself and was turned into an image of hatred thanks to Hitler is more commonly known for then yeah, it's easy to believe these Marines.

I mean, I still know some people in their late 20s who don't know what the capital of the USA is for example.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It is an insult and shows disrespect for all the Marines and other armed forces that died at the hands of the Nazi regime! They should all be court martialed and stripped of their rank. Snipers or no snipers, this is just wrong, no other way to slice it!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I would not underestimate the ignorance of some of our soldiers. They didn't join the military because they wanted to learn about important historical events.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

You are pretty funny. If you only have a clue. Never mind I doubt a clue could help you. I am about the most liberal person in my family and even I am criticized for it by my friends. But it takes a ultraliberal to consider what I said cultish.

I do believe liberals will destroy our way of life because they keep going further and further to the left. I pretty much consider myself right in the middle. People that have a problem with what the snipers are doing, are the ones with the problem. It's a alarmist mentality a bunch of whiners.

Have you ever stopped to think that people like you are the ones who give a symble power. God forgive anybody who tries to change things and in this case it would be for the better but no, people like yourself will make sure that SS has to be a bad thing. You people are pitiful.

BTW so there's a huge difference between 40 years and 60 some years. The Marines gave it a twenty-year cooling-off period before they adopted it but now 40 years later there are some liberal pansies making a fuss over it.

Great job.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

Haha great job for you too, since your opening paragraph illustrates what I meant about the cultish mindset, once again you assume I am liberal, when I can assure you, I am not. As, far as assuming your conservative, if your say your liberal I believe you and will admit I made a hasty assumption, but usually you do not hear liberals throwing around the label of "liberal" to smear their opponents in a debate.

As, far as liberals destroying or way of life, I disagree, I see idealogs on both sides shredding the constitution, our economy and our nation. The problem is not one side or the other, but both, the sad fact is to many people in the US only see the sins of the opposing team and excusing their team, when they do wrong.

Yes, I do know the powers of symbols. As, someone who likes to study history and the esoteric, I am very familiar with their power. The thing is their greatest power is their meaning and you can try to change the meaning of an archetype but old associations never fall away, they always remain as part of the over all symbol of the archetype. And yes I will make sure the double thunderbolt and not the simple letters ss never lose their meaning, they should not be forgotten. If those who bore them had their way many people alive today would not be. The SS was the pure blood aryan vanguard, that is what they and their symbol represent and will always represent. The fact is even if people like you wanted to adopt all the nazi symbols, claim to change their meaning and parade down the street in full nazi regalia, I would still stand in oposition and point out that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck. If you use nazi symbols you can not disassociate them from their original meanings, it will always remain in the archetype.

yes I agree there is a big difference between forty to sixty years, but really both forty and sixty are flash in the pan in the grand scheme of things and 40 years, does not make a long standing military tradition in my opinion. The real question is if they had to give it a cooling off period, they clearly knew it would raise eyebrows, so why was it so important for them to adopt the symbol, what about the nazi double thunderbolt is so relevant and important that it needs to be used for an elite unit in the US military? Why not another symbol? Seems strange to me, especially because two S's can be represented in many other ways then the double thunderbolt.

Edit** Sorry it is getting late for me and I misread, and in fact you say you are more middle of the road, so, I redact the part where I said you were a liberal. lol I still stand by the rest of the points in my post though.

edit on 12-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

edit on 12-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 12-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: correction

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

anyone who has ever been in the military could tell you that racism exists just like it does in prison

you have your latino groups

you have your native american group

you have your white supremacists group

and you have your black groups as well

it is easy to see which group this squad was part off

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I was going to go into this thread defending those marines, but I changed my mind when looked at that blog article. The fact that the flag in the photo matches the flag on the site (among other nazi flags) is pretty suspect.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
so let's assume these marines are outright nazis, now what? the people that get so easily offended are probably the last to go over there and do what they are doing. so until you're ready to step, better just shut up and let them use whatever flag they want. the PC crowd ruined western civilization and now want to ruin our armed forces.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Beyond
It is an insult and shows disrespect for all the Marines and other armed forces that died at the hands of the Nazi regime! They should all be court martialed and stripped of their rank. Snipers or no snipers, this is just wrong, no other way to slice it!

I couldn't agree more and for precisely the same reasons. I don't think these Marines are latent Nazi sympathizers. That's absurd, the more I've given this thought over the stories in the news. They're just too stupid to even know fairly recent history of their own units, service and nation.

I mean geeze...it isn't like they just Photoshopped together an emblem that just happened to look similar. This IS the dual bolts of the Waffen S.S.. It's so unbelievable ignorant, these guys shouldn't be trusted with live weapons. Someone could get hurt!! :eek:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
Marines not knowing the SS insignia history?.. humm..

When I went to MCRD San Diego in the 80s, we had lessons on WWII German troops.. they coined the iconic USMC phrase "Devil Dog". AKA "Teufel Hunden". We graduated knowing a little something about WWII German Wehrmacht and the Waffen-ss... using the SS flag for Scout Sniper would make sense.

..that was 20+ years ago tho..

Flags..meh, cloth on a stick, burn em all for all I care.. but I do enjoy the biting irony of the US being run by the 4th Reich.. combined with... occupation troops de jure recycling of nazi-esqe symbols... history indeed repeats.

Finally someone between two threads who said what I tried to in the other one. Not that glib when kinda sick and pissed. The view from the inside looked at once the conditioning wears off (if ever) then, seeing the two symbols together repping America sent some cool chills down my allegedly yellow spine LOL. Ironic indeed! Am pretty amused by the guys sputtering America hate and military hate over this though...."Forgive them founding fathers, they know not what they do" LOL
APB

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slavich
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You guys really think these guys knew what the SS was? Hell I didn't even know that it was a nazi symbol and I consider myself pretty well educated. So you think some derps in the military are going to know what it means? Distractions people... you all fall for it.

The SS looks pretty cool. Maybe that's why they used it. HERPDERP.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Slavich because: (no reason given)

There is a high number of very educated members of the military actually.

Who do you think you are to call any one a herpderp? For all we know your a fat hairy 30 year unemployed looser living in your moms basement....

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Are you saying soldiers are fools? I bet you're full of, let's call it, brain...what exactly do you do?

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that EVERY soldier/Vet I know would make you look like the fool.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kenrichaed
Well to be fair, I'm a history major specializing in military history and I can honestly say that i've never seen that ss flag. Didn't even know they had their own flag actually, I thought all Nazi's waved the Swastika around. I could certainly understand how they didn't know what it was.

Kinda reminds me more of one of the special forces designs more than anything to do with Nazi's.

You are really not doing your country any favors with that remark.
Trust me on that.

Just imagine U.S marines in WWII

Marine 1
Dont shoot that guy

Marine 2
why not ?

Marine 1
He has SS on his collar ,He is one of us.

Marine 2
Owh of course , ok

There were already links in the other thread showing flags like that being sold AS nazi flags/symbols as well.

edit on 12-2-2012 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I don't know... Perhaps they're in the Kiss Army?

IRM

edit on 12/2/12 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I don't think the Nazis should be allowed to own any symbol.

Those who disagree with my opinion are in my opinion Nazi supporters, and Nazi enablers.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Killer Instinct Sniper Scouts. They should've definately added the K and the I.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

I'm 20 and I know what the SS flag is.

I thought it was common knowledge?

I'm not buying the guy that says he was a history major and didn't know what it is. The guy is lying or a total troll. Read some books or watch the millions of movies made about WWII.
edit on 13-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm not sure if the soldiers knew the SS logo was nazi or not (Hogans Heros, Inglorious Basterds, X-Men 1st class).

But working in graphics I know there are thousands of other typefaces they could have used (and many that look like lightning too). My opinion is that most of the US's military logos lack much tact, but I am a non-violent person who's not attracted to skulls, deathmasks, bones and violent images. These are our peacekeepers and I'd enjoy seeing more peaceful imagery. But then again, truth in advertising.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Those who disagree with my opinion are in my opinion Nazi supporters, and Nazi enablers.

Fair enough on the Nazi's not being allowed to take anything more from the world than they already have during their brief existence. Someday, perhaps even the Swastika will be remembered as having had a history LONG before some idiot Private screw up from Austria lead a movement that happened to choose it for their logo.

Until then tho...and certainly for other units within the Military very directly involved with the defeat of the real S.S....Umm.. Wow.. I guess one can either laugh or cry. I said stupidity earlier and that was the wrong word. The Marines aren't stupid. They're just ignorant and it's at such a fundamental level that I'm breathless in seeing it.

Perhaps a few hours a week throughout boot camp on the advanced version of American history, especially as it relates to the military they're joining..would be a *VERY* good idea. Whatever the schools teach these days......it isn't much. I would learn enough watching the History Channel to know this symbol by that alone.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join