It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York State legislation would force the NYPD to release names of all cops who worked at Ground Ze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

New York State legislation would force the NYPD to release names of all cops who worked at Ground Zero to cancer researchers Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

www.nydailynews.com

ALBANY — The NYPD would be required to provide the list of cops who worked at Ground Zero to cancer researchers under legislation being drafted in the Legislature.

The measure was requested by the police officers union, which says the studies could help secure needed federal health money for ailing cops.

Scientists at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan have asked for the full roster of officers who served at Ground Zero, but the NYPD’s surgeon refused, citing privacy concerns.

Assemblyman Micah Kellner (D-Manhattan) and state Sen. Diane Savino (D-S.I.) ripped the decision and
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 012929p://0526 by mike dangerously because: link did not work.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
"privacy issues"? or trying to protect the insurance companies? Why would NYPD fight this to the point where the sate legislature has to get involved? Far too many questions here...I wonder what exactly is going on behind the scenes.Now,we are hearing some gripes and snide comments about all the 1st responders.

www.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
What about the millions of other people who breathed it in?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

Those buildings were full of asbestos, If they wouldn't have been destroyed by terrorists it would have been an issue to get rid of all that. Everyone in the area was exposed to it. The entire city could be used as a cancer research center.

At the very least, they are trying to study it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Well, wouldn't the cancer qualify as work related injury and therefore at least partially an NYPD problem if proven by participation in this? I can see why cops and their Union would want it. It would likely help them. I can sure see the liability reasons why the NYPD itself would want to avoid anything the helped create larger problems for them.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

IF they can establish a link between the cops and cancer, that is the first step. Once they can prove that being there caused a problem it sets precedent. Other people that spent a lot of time int he area could possibly start some kind of action against the feds for lying and risking their health.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by TheCommentator

IF they can establish a link between the cops and cancer,

Shouldn't be too hard to find that link..
I thought Cops was a synonym for cancer.

Ok, my snide remark out of the way, this is tricky. If the info was made public it wouldn't really be fair as insurance companies could use it against the responders and defense cases could be built in anticipation of illness. On the other hand, it may be helpful to the responders so I don't know.

Quick question to anyone that may know.. asbestos takes a little more than one exposure to cause problems doesn't it? Maybe there are freak cases where one exposure is all it took, but there was a brand of smokes back in the day that used asbestos filters. I thought it was a problem if you worked with it regularly or at least a few times, I didn't know it was a one and done thing.
edit on 10-2-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I know that in most states the cops would be fine with their existing insurance. If the person had no reason to believe they were already sick when they bought the insurance they are protected. You can't be shown to believe you were exposed if the EPA told you everything was fine.

It might cause a stink though. I'm sure some company would try to fight it. The city of New York would then be sued and forced to face liability. The feds could also be sued if they could be found to have "knowingly" lied.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Indeed. It was convenient how those terrorists came along and took care of the asbestos problem for them...

Originally posted by litterbaux
reply to post by mike dangerously

Those buildings were full of asbestos, If they wouldn't have been destroyed by terrorists it would have been an issue to get rid of all that. Everyone in the area was exposed to it. The entire city could be used as a cancer research center.

At the very least, they are trying to study it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Agreed.. I can't think of worse P.R. in America than insurance companies messing with a 9/11 victim.

new topics

top topics

join