It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYU Student Turns In Resume- Gets Laughed At By Largest Wall St. Firms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Not exactly sure what to make of this, except for bankers once again being out of touch. This isn't some OWS kid asking for a job as an analyst, it's an NYU undergrad. Yes there are a few funny parts to the resume, but as a whole it wasn't that bad, the kid explained why he touched on such topics, and no matter how poor it might seem to the guys at Bank of America, circulating it around the office, to other banks, and eventually the media is quite ridiculous.

As summer analyst recruiting season continues and superdays near, Wall Street has been having a laugh with one New York University applicant who, to say the least, took a surprisingly dogged approach with his cover letter. He wrote: "I am unequivocally the most unflaggingly hard worker I know, and I love self-improvement.

I have always felt that my time should be spent wisely, so I continuously challenge myself ... I decided to redouble my effort by placing out of two classes, taking two honors classes, and holding two part-time jobs. That semester I achieved a 3.93, and in the same time I managed to bench double my bodyweight and do 35 pull-ups."

Since Thursday, February 2, when a Bank of America Merrill Lynch director forwarded the cover letter out to his entire team, offering drinks "to the first analyst to concisely summarize everything that is wrong with" the note, it has passed through more than a dozen firms. Already investment banking and accounting teams at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Nomura, Citi, Deutsche Bank, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, Wells Fargo, Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, Perella Weinberg Partners, and Barclays Capital have read the note, along with the student's relatively robust resume.

Full letter at the bottom of the linked story.

finance.yahoo.com...

As you can see, the rest of the resume really isn't written poorly, or contains anything funny. I can't be the only one who has a problem with powerful bankers spending time circulating and laughing at the resume of a college kid, can I?
edit on 9-2-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Resume link is broken

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy

Resume link is broken

You'll have to follow the story link. Resume is at the bottom. Resume link won't work.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Poor taste, perhaps, to share with your colleagues... But I have to admit it made me chuckle. It was the mention of the pull ups that got me.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They laugh because they do not want balanced individuals sound in mind, body and spirit. What they want are men who are driven by greed and greed alone. The body is not a temple to them but a tool of exploitation, the spirit not something to strengthen but a cord of wood to be broken and burned.

If he opened with how he scammed people out of house and home on the derivatives market he would have had a job in under a day.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I can assure you if this was a resume from the nephew of a VP or the son of a large client the resume would be praised as creative and "out of the box".

The kid probably though he try to be "different". Even with a 3.9 GPA - his regular resume would have been lost in the sea of good students.

But it's nothing to laugh it.

It only goes to show that the rich HATE the poor. I hope the kid knows that their reaction was 100% worse than his resume.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Makes you question why a private resume was shared by a HR professional to other banking companies.

That being said, awesome (even if it was narcissistic and over the top) resume. The "terrifying efficiency" line is a winner that just got copied to my resume.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If there were prefect justice in this world this is what would happen.

The student would give up getting a job on Wall street and instead take a job as a prison guard. Then these bankers would be held responsible for all their fraud - then meet the student when they go to jail.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Its funny because if these investment bankers wanted to get a real job they would be screwed.
Lets face it they have no real skills and do no real work.
All they know how to do is trade invisible money.. Wow thats going to help you a lot in the real world.

This kids resume shows he is way to smart to be a investment banker.

Playing their game I would sue for defamation tho because money is the only language they understand.
edit on 9-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
He'll get a job out of this. Look at all the free publicity he's getting! Someone will capitalize on him.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You're letting your hatred for Wall Street color your perception of this incident. This letter sent to a public library employment office would still be over the top. The young man just finished four years of schooling with good grades and still has no idea how to present himself. He could have done something outrageous and made it work. Here's an example from an application to enter college. But instead the guy talks about his push-ups.

That is totally inappropriate, as is his complete excess of hubris. I agree in that I would not have sent this letter out to make fun of it. I would simply have thrown it away.
edit on 2/9/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You're letting your hatred for Wall Street color your perception of this incident. This letter sent to a public library employment office would still be over the top. The young man just finished four years of schooling with good grades and still has no idea how to present himself. He could have domne something outrageous and made it work. Here's an example from an application to enter college. But instead the guy talks about his push-ups.

That is totally inappropriate, as is his complete excess of hubris. I agree in that I would not have sent this letter out to make fun of it. I would simply have thrown it away.

HOW DARE HE WANT TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS BY NOT DOING ANY WORK AT ALL!!!
Please a dead horse could do their job
edit on 9-2-2012 by TheCommentator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
"How much profit have your services or experience tendered?"

"Um."

"
Get out. Next, please. "

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
He'll get a job out of this. Look at all the free publicity he's getting! Someone will capitalize on him.

Haha.. that's what I thought. Maybe not in investment banking, but I'm sure someone somewhere will offer him a job or at least an interview. If he wrote it tongue in cheek then it's a hilarious stunt. If he was quite serious about it .. well .. then it's just funny.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Its funny because if these investment bankers wanted to get a real job they would be screwed. Lets face it they have no real skills and do no real work.

Investment banks attract some of the most intelligent talent from all academic fields to their profession.. because it's both challenging AND lucrative. The actual investment banker is an extremely stressful and difficult job. Yes the higher up you go the easier it seems to get, but the vast majority of the workers work incredibly hard. You're obviously ignorant on the topic.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Its funny because if these investment bankers wanted to get a real job they would be screwed. Lets face it they have no real skills and do no real work.

Investment banks attract some of the most intelligent talent from all academic fields to their profession.. because it's both challenging AND lucrative. The actual investment banker is an extremely stressful and difficult job. Yes the higher up you go the easier it seems to get, but the vast majority of the workers work incredibly hard. You're obviously ignorant on the topic.

I’m not saying they don’t work hard, but let’s face it the job requires no real talent apart from good organisation and getting good information.
It’s such a waste that we have this industry because it takes intelligent people away from areas where they could make a real difference because the quick buck is much more appealing.
I’m not ignorant of the topic, I know exactly what they do as I wanted to be one before I realised how screwed the principle idea of the business is.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I wasn't push ups. It was pull ups. The bankers probably did not read it too well either.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I’m not saying they don’t work hard, but let’s face it the job requires no real talent apart from good organisation and getting good information.
It’s such a waste that we have this industry because it takes intelligent people away from areas where they could make a real difference because the quick buck is much more appealing.
I’m not ignorant of the topic, I know exactly what they do as I wanted to be one before I realised how screwed the principle idea of the business is.

That's funny.

How about you go down to Goldman Sachs and tell them you're good at organizing things and gathering information.

I'm sure they won't let you walk out without a lucrative job offer first.

It''s not a waste of an industry either. It's the greed and corruption which is horrible, not investing in startups and entrepreneurs.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

The technical skills in mathematics alone disqualify me from ever hoping to get a job in investment banking lol. No, it takes some crazy skill to be a good investment banker. The job is simplified and glorified in movies and shows.. in reality it's an incredibly tedious and stressful job that does require a lot of talent.

That's actually true. There are a lot of engineers and scientist for instance that are traders and investment bankers.. their skills particularly in mathematics and statistics give them leverage in the job.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

That's funny. How about you go down to Goldman Sachs and tell them you're good at organizing things and gathering information. I'm sure they won't let you walk out without a lucrative job offer first. It''s not a waste of an industry either. It's the greed and corruption which is horrible, not investing in startups and entrepreneurs.

Well obviously there not going to give jobs to just anyone.
It certainly is a waste of an industry. The greed and corruption stems from the industry, if there is a means there is someone to do the deed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join