It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation Vita worth it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hey guys im wondering if the ps vita is worth buying? ive just watched a video of some of the features it has and 2 of the games but its not enough to convince me to pay £260 or more for something the size of my xbox controller and that doesnt even come with internal memory.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm jaded against Sony for taking Linux away, so they won't be getting another penny from me no matter how cool the device seems.

On a serious note about your post, if it has the games you want, go for it (unless your like me and hold a grudge).

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
I'm jaded against Sony for taking Linux away, so they won't be getting another penny from me no matter how cool the device seems.

On a serious note about your post, if it has the games you want, go for it (unless your like me and hold a grudge).
Well my ps3 screwed up alot then died and they wouldnt help me so yea i hold a grudge especialy after they banned me for no reason at all
but still it does look cool but as i said i dont really want to spend that ammount of money on something so small that has no reviews yet

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
You could always wait, once its launched you will be able to purchase it. (what I mean is that once its launched you will have access to purchase it.)

From what Ive read about it (and it could be wrong as I haven't looked into it after the initial rumor phase) is that you have to download to it, there isn't a cartridge or other multimedia type thing. It just feels more like another form of control (aka steam/valve).

Also as you mentioned, it doesn't have any storage, so you would need to purchase some which adds to the cost.
edit on 8-2-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ahhh well if thats the case im not getting it i HATE steam, the only reason i wanted to get it now would be the pre order bonus games and things.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'd personally say weigh up the pros and cons.

Me personally, I hated the other Playstation consoles, only got PS2 for GTA 3, GTA: VC, the WCW and WWE games plus Dynasty Warriors 4 and 5. Every other game for PS1 and PS2 sucked and I haven't been impressed by the Blu Ray Player 3 from the current gen either.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

I think it's worth it. As much as I disliked Sony's approach to the whole PS Jailbreak thing, I still love my PS3. I believe my PS3 is going on it's fifth year, although I will (very) likely need to replace it soon. The second generation Playstation 3s were built like tanks... plus you know, backwards compatibility. I've had every generation of the PlayStation so far, and I'm not planning on stopping any time soon.

I will be buying a vita as soon as I can afford to drop 350+ on a system and memory card.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I know some places are offering a trade in scheme for PS Vita, but it depends what you have. For example, in the UK, you can trade a 120GB Xbox and get the Vita for £79, or a 320GB PS3 etc...

Personally, I think I'm going to give it a miss until it really comes down in price. I love console gaming, and I much prefer to physically own games than have them stored on a device. Don't get me wrong, I have my fair share of XBLA and PSN games, but I still prefer to be able to trade in games against new releases etc than been paying £40 per new game.
When Skyrim came out, I traded in BF3 and owed £8, so I paid the rest on a gift card and so didn't actually pay a penny for Skyrim or the guide.

Also, I am kind of PUT OFF by certain technical aspects, such as the touch sensitive rear panel etc.

Since this is kinda related, my sig holds the link to the video game review blog I write.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
To be honest id rather keep my xbox might take up more room but aslong as it does its job im good

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Actually bro I have been considering the same thing, and have even been saving all my pennies for a while to buy this sucker, I just have not totally decided if I will, or if I will not as of yet.

It is however one impressive little hand held gaming device to be sure, it can push out graphics which the current consoles such as the ps3 and the x box 360 can, and infact it has more ram/memory then the PS3 does.

And a whole lot of other functions such as a camera, which for a gamesystem is just optional and cool to have but not necessary. Add in the full sixaxis movement controls and the OLED touch screen, and even a controling touchscreen in back of the console. Then whole online wifi to play with others who have a vita or the optional 3g network thing, and whole slew of other things they have already, or will update in the future. Then ps vita is definitely top of the line when it comes to any hand held devices.

I have been just looking on youtube for vids of the games for it, and they are pretty impressive.

Uncharted.

Marvel vs Capcom 3.

And my favorite game, Gravity Rush. Dont know much about it but you play a girl named kat, who supposedly has the power to control gravity that was granted to her form some sort of entity in the form of a cat, which follows her around.

Check it out the Japanese version.

But it's also expensive, $299 for the 3g/wifi version here in the states, and the accessories come separately. I checked online and even the memory cards for it are pretty expensive the 4gb one is like $25, and the 32gb is $99.99 usd.

And you will probably have to buy a screen protector and charging device as well I think, so as you can see it will get pretty dam expensive. Though the games come with there own memory on the gamecartridge to save your saves. But if you want to hold movies, music, pictures, videos and all other things, then a external memory card is a must.

Is it worth it? Don't know! Up to the individual person to say that.

But it is a dam sweet little handheld gaming/multimedia device. And I am really, really thinking of getting one when it comes out latter this month.
edit on 11-2-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by LvSLoLo

[it's] expensive, $299 for the 3g/wifi version here in the states, and the accessories come separately. I checked online and even the memory cards for it are pretty expensive the 4gb one is like $25, and the 32gb is $99.99 usd.

The Gamestop wifi/3G launch bundle includes and 8GB memory card, some free airtime AND a free game for the regular wifi/3G price of $299.99. I seriously wish I could afford it, but by the time I save enough to be able to pick it up the bundle will be long gone.
edit on 11-2-2012 by xmaox because: incorrect formatting

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaox

Well I bought the vita about a week ago. And my impression is that it's really a good handheld game system. The thing can do everything, and its what its all cracked up to be. In time as it gets more apps and uploads and all that stuff, I think it will be more and more of an all around multimedia device. You know Facebook, songs, you-tube, apps, twitering, and all that popular stuff that people now a days like to do.

I dont think your missing anything out though as of yet, because the longer you wait to get one, or save up to buy one. The more games, options, and apps, you will have to play and mess with. I know I wanted to get that gravity rush game, but it does not come out in the states till June 12...That's 3 months and some days from now
And all the better games for it are also some months away from now. Really the only game I got for it is Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, and other then that, there is nothing that really grabs my interest all that much.

But for what it is, its pretty impressive. Especially since the last handheld system I really played with was the gameboy, when I was 14, its pretty amazing and cool how far they came from the 5 pixel characters I remember playing in some old final fantasy game for it, or the the old school pixelated mario jumping on gumbas for mushrooms on the gameboy. Back then I remember going..."Wow this is the bestest and coolest thing ever"

This thing the psvita, is pretty impressive in the graphical department for a hand held, as those vids above show, only its more clearer and colorful in real life then those vids show.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I wouldn't drop 300 dollar's on a hand held gaming system, that will be full of faults in it's 1st year or 2. Give it some time before you take the plunge on it. You might just regret buying it, for all we know?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
i felt it did not differ much from the PSP aside from the dual sticks

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The Playstation Vita is anabsolute beast. It is the greatest handheld gaming device ever created. It raises the bar on mobile gaming in a way that has never been done before. Not since the Gameboy has there been this big of an impact in the mobile gaming scene.

In the past I was never a mobile gamer due to the drop in quality of the games. The drop in quality was just a tad much for me to embrace.
With Vita, whoa baby! You seriously get current gen console quality in the palm of your hand. It's truly a marvel and AWESOME!

I encourage anyone who is on the fence to go get one. There's no way that you will regret it. The level of quality is head and shoulders above 3DS and PSP. True beast of a device.
-Golden Abyss is a launch title and the visuals and gameplay are mindblowing for a handheld game. Imagine what the devs are going to come up with in the future after experience coding for the Vita. It's going to be the most immersive mobile device in history.

edit on 30-3-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I would fully wait for a price drop. Bottom line: If you don't see any games that interest you, why are you going to buy one now?

Yes, it is a "beast" of machine, but that's not what's being asked. Just because it is technically impressive doesn't automatically mean you should run out and buy one. It all comes down to the game library, and so far it is limited unless you like tacked on motion/touch controls shoved into your games.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderofLostSouls

lol, sure it is. He asked if it was worth getting. I responded with how great it is. I would assume, if I were you, that a glowing endorsement equates to "yes, it's worth it. Buy it."

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Again, your "glowing endorsement" is based on its technical proficiency and that it's better than the PSP and 3DS. Wow. There's a shock. Tell him something he doesn't know. You don't offer anything beyond bragging about how much of a "beast" it is. What games have you played besides the averagely reviewed Golden Abyss?

So he's buys the Vita and then does what? Sits there and oogles at it because "it's such a beast?" That's certainly $350 well spent. How about playing some games? There's a novel idea for a game system besides slobbering all over how much of a "beast" it is.

That's my point. You aren't offering any glowing endorsement except "dur, it's purdy!"

edit on 3-4-2012 by LeaderofLostSouls because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
First time I've noticed this thread but I've had the Vita for a couple of months now and I'm still playing it daily, my iPod Touch is now being used solely for music, my 360 hasn't been on once since and I have also gave my old PSP away.

I've already a lot of very good games and there isn't one bad one in the bunch in fact I've bought more than I ever really intended so far I have amassed Uncharted, Wipeout 2048, Fifa, Unit 13, Everybody's Golf, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 2 (PSP), Motorstorm RC, Hustle Kings, Space Mutants Attack and the three free Augmented Reality games you get with it.

I can't praise the device enough the OLED screen absolutely blew me away when I played my first game on it, it's just so much more vivid and clear than any screenshot you see, it also has a usable web browser, twitter, skype, facebook, gps, digital compass, 3G, Accelerometers, dual sticks. I also really like that you can play PSP games and it actually make them look a good bit better.

Sony has pretty much nailed it I think it has a very bright future and when more titles start trickling in after E3 I expect a lot more interest.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Any word/time frame on Vita being able to play PS1 games? I'd love to play Xenogears on the go.

I suppose E3 starting tomorrow would be a good time for an update..
edit on 6/3/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join