It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENTERTAINMENT: Johnny Ramone - Dead at 55

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Yet another member of the Ramones has succumbed to an early death. Johnny Ramone, AKA John Cummings, died in his sleep of prostate cancer.

news.yahoo.com
Johnny Ramone was one of the original members of the struggling Ramones, whose hit songs "I wanna be sedated" and "Blitzkrieg Bop," among others, earned them an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Johnny Ramone co-founded "The Ramones" in 1974 in New York along with singer Joey Ramone, bassist DeeDee Ramone and drummer Tommy Ramone, who is the only surviving member of the original band. All four band members had different last names, but took the common name Ramone.

Joey Ramone, whose real name is Jeff Hyman, died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer. Dee Dee Ramone, whose real name is Douglas Colvin, died from a drug overdose in 2002.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Ramones have had a tremendous influence on many of my generation. It is sad to see 3 out of 4 of the original members die. Unfourtunately it may be typical of the music ledgends of this generation.

Hopefully some good can come of his death. We shouldn't see ourselves as "indestructable" any more. Johnny died of prostate cancer, a treatable condition. Now is probably a good time for men of my generation to get that prostate check up.

[edit on 9-16-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I heard this on the news this morning......several years ago, my band covered a few of the Ramones tunes....

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Unfortunately their lives were like their songs. Short, fast, and hard.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Usually, when a band member dies, I think "oh great - we have to be drowned in their crud music on the radio for days now." With the Ramones, I truly feel a loss and think more of the death than what will be on the radio.

And phreak: Prostate cancer isn't the only treatable condition - drug addictions that lead to overdoses are too

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I had all their songs when I was a teenager, my favorite songs were the kkk took my baby away, i want to be your boyfriend, and rock and roll high school.
I want to be sedated was a fun song to jump around to, I didn't even know the other two died. That is sad, they made good songs, short, but good.
It allowed me to get away from the mainstream music they were playing back in 99. God bless em...

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
And phreak: Prostate cancer isn't the only treatable condition - drug addictions that lead to overdoses are too

No doubt. But a drug addiction really doesn't need to be diagnosed by a doctor. A junkie knows their a junkie, but it would be difficult to check your own prostrate.

Odd

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Funny... I was interviewed by a newspaper columnist today about my opinions on the combination of politics and music, and I used Johnny Ramone as an example of a rare conservative musician.

This was about three hours ago, and I had no idea he was dead. Funny how stuff works out like that.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I see stuff like "Good Charlotte" calling themselves Punk these days....besides feeling old, it makes me angry that the creators of the genre are being defamed with this mislabeled pop falling under the same banner.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
....besides feeling old, it makes me angry that the creators of the genre are being defamed with this mislabeled pop falling under the same banner.

Bout Time... There's something we CAN agree on. Makes me sick when my boys go on and on about "This new punk band" and it's nothing but a bunch of MTV possers.
But at the same time, they have an appreciation for the Old School.

I will be "pouring out" for those who are gone tonight.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I was very fortunate in my teens - I got to see them at CBGB!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I was very fortunate in my teens - I got to see them at CBGB!!
Another true original gone...
Ready, all together now...12341234

top topics

join