It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sigiriya : The 8th Wonder of the World

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
it makes me think that it was built after a great flood, like the people knew another would come and they build high ground in preparation.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
i have just returned from sri lanka and have climbed the lion rock. the metal staircase at the left hand side is obviously a modern addition albeit a scary climb, but my sri lankan friend showed me on the way up the holes chiseled out the face of the rock just big enough for a hand or foot hold where the original workers scaled the rock face to build it. a bit like ancient free climbers.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The name of the ethnic group from which the majority of Sri Lankans are drawn is Sinhala (or, in English, Sinhalese). It means 'of the blood of the lion'. The racial origin-myth of the Sinhalese, which is retold in the Mahavamsa (see my earlier post) tells that the race springs from the incestuous union of a brother and sister whose parents were a lion and a runaway Bengali princess. The Sinhalese claim to be an Aryan people (and their language, also called Sinhala, is partly derived from Sanskrit), so maybe they partake in the generic myths of the Indo-European peoples, who seem to be pretty fond of lions on the whole.

There were lions in India once.

Aryan people - you say.. Interesting connection.. yes I read your earlier post. This denotes Caucasian people possibly blond hair blue eyed people - those are the people the ancient Chinese speak of who built their ancient pyramids and the Chinese lion sphinx - they either were the Sun Gods or servants to the Sun Gods.

I can't help but think there is something majorly historical that the scholars are missing here about all these ancient peoples. It appears these same peoples once were all over the globe. We have ancient detailed maps of the whole planet showing correct longitude and latitude ( a recent invention or recently rediscovered) that corresponds to ancient time periods, these peoples are known for building huge pyramidal structures we cannot build today - There is much more - I feel these things point to proof of ancient civilizations that were far more technologically advanced than we give them credit for. These connections seem endless if your willing to look for them.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Those paintings are absolutely stunning.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The Age of Leo (The Leonian Age) Symbol for Leo: the vernal equinox (northern hemisphere) is occurring in Leo; Timeframes Zodiacal 30 degrees: Common interpretation: ca. 10,500 BC to 8000 BC. Overview "The Golden Age" Historical similarities The major event at this time was an ancient global warming to such a massive extent that it led to the deglaciation of what now constitutes much of the modern habitable world. The deglaciation ultimately caused a 300 foot (90 m) rise in the sea level. The sign Leo is a Fire sign and is traditionally ruled by the Sun in astrology, and it is entirely appropriate that in an Age ruled by the Sun, that the warmth of the Sun melted the glaciers that covered much of North America and Europe. Leo is also related to any kind of light source, and the carved stone oil lamp was invented during this time (Oil lamps existed previously, but this type was the first proper continuously-burning lamp.).

Maybe its alot older or these people worshipped this particular age as this was considered the age of creation.
Icon's and monuments are all over the world ancient and modern to mark special times in space/earth history.

Note that Leo is related to light, also to the sun and is a fire sign.

Maya The Maya Long Count dates the creation of the world of human beings to 11 August 3114 BC according to the proleptic Gregorian calendar

This date gives us the Leo star sign again and is related to creation of man.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think if I had around a million slaves at my disposal I could accomplish something like this. Probably even top it!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Thanks for the history lesson. I am from Sri Lanka and I didn't know about the origin myth. You seem well versed and traveled in the history of Sri Lanka. You would obviously be aware of how the Sinhalese claim that they are descended from a north Indian price and the Tamils are descended from the south of India.

Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention in primary school about the local history. Plus the language barrier was hard to get around as my family don't speak Sinhalese nor Tamil as our native tongue.

I'm going back for a holiday to Lanka this year and I have earmarked Sigiriya as a stop. Have you also been to Adams peak where there is supposed to be a man's foot print left in rock?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yamammasamonkey
I think if I had around a million slaves at my disposal I could accomplish something like this. Probably even top it!

If you were rich enough to be able to afford to feed a million slaves and house them then yes I suppose you might.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Thank you sir for adding a worthy addition to my ever growing list of 'Places To Go And Things to See'

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Hmmm...Isn't that curious. 32 seconds into that video, compare it to this...

www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
reply to post by isyeye

Hmmm...Isn't that curious. 32 seconds into that video, compare it to this...

www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

So then according to my sources, if you look at 4 seconds in, that would show that it was an island, 2 mya, and that would be about when Rama was there and Hanuman.
The time of Adam's Bridge roughly speaking.

And Rama or Adam or Xerxes or Atlas, came from Peru, stowed away on Zeus' flying disk, when he landed in Peru, from the moon, and made his way to Sri Lanka.

The moonstone would be a stylized version of the Aztec Calendar. Or more accurately, the Titan version, which would be the aerial viewof Atlantis.

As opposed to the Aztec calendar which is a cross section of the moon as Dyson Sphere.
With Hanuman in its center.

Hanuman AKA Hal 9000 jr.

So then if that was the case, then this cave art in India, would be Rama's monkey men hunting with rocketlaunchers. This is all making sense now.
What they are hunting appears to be a tricerotops

So then that must mean the unicorn, from the biblical flood myth, as seen from this prehistoric unicorn seal found in the Indus Valley, which shows the ark, the ark of the covenant, and the unicow itself

Dare I say eureka?

Let me translate that unicow seal for you... I may be the only person who can read Indus Valley script...
it says, the Orion peoples, are not hunter gatherers, they are farmers.

And that coincides with the latest finds of footprints in Mexico, of modern man, that are 1.3 million years old, alongside dogs and cats and farm animals.

So I understand they found some very very ancient bones from early man in Sri Lanka too.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Rocketman7 because: fixed monkeymen image link

edit on 8-2-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I too have wondered since I heard of it why a Lion (this region of the world is after all Tiger country) I 'm going to go with the idea of the leo /virgo motif of the Sphinx and say this site harks back to the age of Leo www.carnaval.com... this site explains a bit about it look down the page to the area in red, The paintings of women and the lion motif combined make me think of it

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Aryan people - you say.. Interesting connection.. yes I read your earlier post. This denotes Caucasian people possibly blond hair blue eyed people

Sorry, no. That is a Western racist myth. There is absolutely no evidence that ancient Aryans were blond or blue-eyed. The Aryans were speakers of an Indo-European language group whose descendants populate most of Eurasia today. Persians and Northern Indians are of Aryan descent; they are usually olive-skinned, black-haired and dark-eyed. The Sinhalese are a brown-skinned people, but have as legitimate a claim to 'Aryan' descent as any Teuton.

reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Hi there, TiM3LoRd. Yes, I knew you were of Sri Lankan origin from something you wrote in an earlier post on another thread. I had you tagged as a Burgher, probably resident in Australia or some Western country, though of course this was just a guess.

I haven't climbed Adam's Peak but I have seen photos of the famous footprint. You could fit four elephants' feet into this oversized impression of a human foot, and it's not at all anatomically accurate either. It isn't really a footprint at all but a carving made out of the rock by ancient sculptors.

These 'footprint shrines' were quite common in Asia long ago, and Buddhism in particular has preserved the tradition, though Hindus and even Muslims also have them. There are, for example, quite a few in Thailand. The location of the Sri Lankan exampe, at the top of a 7,000-foot-high mountain, is pretty exotic and nobody knows who carved it, but it is by no means the only one of its kind.

edit on 8/2/12 by Astyanax because: of olives.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
I too have wondered since I heard of it why a Lion (this region of the world is after all Tiger country) I 'm going to go with the idea of the leo /virgo motif of the Sphinx and say this site harks back to the age of Leo www.carnaval.com... this site explains a bit about it look down the page to the area in red, The paintings of women and the lion motif combined make me think of it

Actually if you look at the night sky, and you find Orion's belt, it forms a collar of a sphinx, with the other bright stars. Its not a constellation of today, but there is a reference to it in Egypt.

But you can see it in the sky anytime, if you just look for Orion's belt, and imagine it a tight collar on the sphinx, (lion) with its head facing to the left, and its body to the right.

And all of this is from the prec-cataclysm age which might have included a flood.

And since there is not much evidence of it left, it seems to have gotten washed away.

There are some catastrophic large blocks in Sri Lanka, as seen here at 1:14 ...

which are similar to the scale of disaster in Peru which includes this upside down stairway...
4.bp.blogspot.com...

and these giant blocks including the one in the background..
4.bp.blogspot.com...

The one in the background is as big as a house. It was carved at one time, and displaced by some cataclysym.

The sphinx as constellation in egypt I am not exactly sure how it worked then in the distant past, since the star locations have shifted. But here is the egyptian zodiac found in SetI I's tomb.
link

But then you have to consider the sphinx is modern, compared to the pre-flood areas of Sri-Lanka and Peru.
That 40,000 year old age of the sphinx etc is nothing compared to the early time of the megalithic buildings and water management such as the water cistern at Sacsayhuman shown here

At that time Tiahuancu, was above water, then it was covered by Lake Titicaca, for who knows how long but you notice that the upside-down staircase top is encrusted with limestone. And so are the pillars at Tiahuancu.
So it was buried in silt, except for a couple feet, then sat there under water for a very long time, got encrusted with limestone, then over time Titicaca receded, exposing the tops of the pillars, and the pyramid base, so it was dug out, maybe 13,000 years ago, then rebuilt a bit, then became an Inca ruin.
But who knows how old it was originally. It is layer built on layer like a lot of ancient cities.
The only thing that is truly weird, is the base of the pyramid, which they now call a temple since the stones are long gone, that is one big slab of rock, that was moved into place. That entire base apparently.
And apparently there are others like it, around Lake Titicaca. And other ruins still under the water at Titicaca.
Tiahuanacu is now 20 km from Titicaca.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

[quote

Hi there, TiM3LoRd. Yes, I knew you were of Sri Lankan origin from something you wrote in an earlier post on another thread. I had you tagged as a Burgher, probably resident in Australia or some Western country, though of course this was just a guess.

I haven't climbed Adam's Peak but I have seen photos of the famous footprint. You could fit four elephants' feet into this oversized impression of a human foot, and it's not at all anatomically accurate either. It isn't really a footprint at all but a carving made out of the rock by ancient sculptors.

These 'footprint shrines' were quite common in Asia long ago, and Buddhism in particular has preserved the tradition, though Hindus and even Muslims also have them. There are, for example, quite a few in Thailand. The location of the Sri Lankan exampe, at the top of a 7,000-foot-high mountain, is pretty exotic and nobody knows who carved it, but it is by no means the only one of its kind.

edit on 8/2/12 by Astyanax because: of olives.

Brilliant bit of deductive reasoning, I assume you know quite a bit about Sri Lankan history down to the Burghers. I am indeed a by product of western colonization, I still call Australia home. Are you yourself an ex patriot of Serendib? If not you certainly have invested quite a lot of time into studying the history of this remarkable little jewel of an island.

Also in regards to Adams peak I have heard tell of the mountain casting the shadow of a perfect triangle during sunset. I myself haven't seen it but I know quite a few friends who have made the trek and have photo's ill see if I can upload them. OK found them

These pics are from my friends cam, there is no editing this is what you see.

and another

edit on 8-2-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm curious as to why they couldn't have been blonde hair and blue eyed. European language can be traced to India and Sanskrit right? And those people traveled far and wide, north to the Pontic Steppe and on into eastern europe.

They stopped in various places, becoming different people. But one thing they all had in common was fair skin, blonde or red hair, and blue eyes. There's the mummies found in China. The Ice Queen in Russia. They eventually mixed with asians, mongols and turks, but the most noblest and oldest of remains found, have blonde hair.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

I noticed in the first picture posted that the "feet" seem to be more representative of a reptile than a lion. Could they represent a dragon possibly?

No, they represent the feet of a lion. Kassapa built his fortress 1,500 years ago. Unlike the rest of South Asia, Sri Lanka has a wealth of historical documentation going back to those times and, indeed, well before. There exists an ancient guidebook called Sihigiri Vihare, as well as some other sources, that tell us what Sigiriya looked like in its prime.

Incidentally, the site shows signs of habitation by hermits (probably Buddhist monks) since the third century BCE, well before Kassapa's time.

Yes, Adam's Peak throws a long and justly-famed shadow. I think the effect is known as a 'spectre of Brocken'.

I just sent you a private message.

reply to post by AMANNAMEDQUEST

I'm curious as to why they couldn't have been blonde hair and blue eyed.

I'm afraid you will have to satisfy your curiosity at some other source, such as this one. I do not intend to drive a very interesting thread off topic by discussing a completely irrelevant and extraneous matter. Sigiriya and discredited European racial theories have nothing to do with each other.

edit on 8/2/12 by Astyanax because: of birds and stones.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The Buddhist God-Kings of Asia

Those of you who know Buddhism only from its present-day Western manifestations will be surprised to learn that there are many different schools and sects of Buddhist thought and practice. Some of them, like the Chinese Pure Land sect, are just wish-fulfilment fairytales of the kind found in most of the world's religions and folk myths. Others are all about ritual, repeated to the point of apparent meaninglessness – Tibetan prayer wheels are a good example. And still others, amazingly, involved such seemingly unBuddhist practices as human sacrifice and the drinking of human blood.

One particular form of Buddhism had a strong attraction for rulers throughout South and Southeast Asia. This was the cult of the Bodhisattva-king or, to put it in cruder terms, the Buddhist god-king. Among those who styled themselves thus were Adityavarman, the ruler of part of what is now Sumatra in Indonesia (note the sacrificial bowl and knife he holds in this photo, and the skulls encircling the dais on which he stands), the Buddhist and Hindu rulers of Cambodia, including those who ruled at Angkor, Kassapa of Lanka and many others.

The cosmic-mountain layout of Sigiriya, which I referred to in my first post, is also to be seen at Angkor, at Borobudur in Java and in many other East Asian Buddhist and Hindu monuments. It is also forms part of the basis for the iconography of the Buddhist stupa.

Some links for the curious:

Jayavarman VII of Cambodia

Borobudur

Tantric Hinduism in Khmer Culture

History of Vajrayana (Tantric) Buddhism

The Symbolism of the Stupa

edit on 8/2/12 by Astyanax because: I made so bold.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

reply to post by MrsBlonde

I noticed in the first picture posted that the "feet" seem to be more representative of a reptile than a lion. Could they represent a dragon possibly?

No, they represent the feet of a lion. Kassapa built his fortress 1,500 years ago. Unlike the rest of South Asia, Sri Lanka has a wealth of historical documentation going back to those times and, indeed, well before. There exists an ancient guidebook called Sihigiri Vihare, as well as some other sources, that tell us what Sigiriya looked like in its prime.

Incidentally, the site shows signs of habitation by hermits (probably Buddhist monks) since the third century BCE, well before Kassapa's time.

Yes, Adam's Peak throws a long and justly-famed shadow. I think the effect is known as a 'spectre of Brocken'.

I just sent you a private message.

reply to post by AMANNAMEDQUEST

I'm curious as to why they couldn't have been blonde hair and blue eyed.

I'm afraid you will have to satisfy your curiosity at some other source, such as this one. I do not intend to drive a very interesting thread off topic by discussing a completely irrelevant and extraneous matter. Sigiriya and discredited European racial theories have nothing to do with each other.

edit on 8/2/12 by Astyanax because: of birds and stones.

Thats a bummer. I was just going to ask you your thoughts on the Bosnian pyramids of doom.
I was just looking at them in youtube and I can't stop laughing.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

The Buddhist God-Kings of Asia

Those of you who know Buddhism only from its present-day Western manifestations will be surprised to learn that there are many different schools and sects of Buddhist thought and practice. Some of them, like the Chinese Pure Land sect, are just wish-fulfilment fairytales of the kind found in most of the world's religions and folk myths. Others are all about ritual, repeated to the point of apparent meaninglessness – Tibetan prayer wheels are a good example. And still others, amazingly, involved such seemingly unBuddhist practices as human sacrifice and the drinking of human blood.

One particular form of Buddhism had a strong attraction for rulers throughout South and Southeast Asia. This was the cult of the Bodhisattva-king or, to put it in cruder terms, the Buddhist god-king. Among those who styled themselves thus were Adityavarman, the ruler of part of what is now Sumatra in Indonesia (note the sacrificial bowl and knife he holds in this photo, and the skulls encircling the dais on which he stands), the Buddhist and Hindu rulers of Cambodia, including those who ruled at Angkor, Kassapa of Lanka and many others.

The cosmic-mountain layout of Sigiriya, which I referred to in my first post, is also to be seen at Angkor, at Borobudur in Java and in many other East Asian Buddhist and Hindu monuments. It is also forms part of the basis for the iconography of the Buddhist stupa.

Some links for the curious:

Jayavarman VII of Cambodia

Borobudur

Tantric Hinduism in Khmer Culture

History of Vajrayana (Tantric) Buddhism

The Symbolism of the Stupa

edit on 8/2/12 by Astyanax because: I made so bold.

Hinduism goes back a couple million years.

I was going to be facetious and say its a good thing they have made this site a world heritage site, so you will no longer be able to dig for those pesky out of place artifacts. We want to keep everything this side of the great divide after all, well into the AD of things.
Paint em over if ya got em. And all that.
But I decided that I wasn't going to be facetious.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join