It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Insist On Doing This?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The word troll is used way too much these days... Generally disagreeing makes you a troll.. People have one lined arguments that hold validity... Maybe certain peoples skin needs to become thicker.... This is the internet we are talking about. People don't like to be wrong... People don't like to get disagreed with.

If we stop using the word Troll for everyone who disagrees than we might get somewhere

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

You know what I'd like to see? A "thumbs down" button. We see by the stars how many people think the post has merit; I'd like to see by thumbs down how many people disagree.

Yes! It's about time ATS abandoned the S&F and upgraded to the thumbs. Like a lot of websites, posts with a high number of thumbs down would be hidden, which would cut down on threads getting cut in half by a 4 page argument on how you didn't answer the question I asked you 3 pages ago.

Threads being moved to the infamous skunk works section could then be determined by the users, turning ATS into that which it supports and respects, a democracy.
edit on 7-2-2012 by theshepherd2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by theshepherd2

Democracy is flawed we all know this, that's why America isn't a true democracy... It's always been a democratic Republic.. This doesn't help the minorities on the site... those opposing or for certain agendas can have their posts hidden in an instance...

Just look at all the Ron Paul Supporters... How many of those NEGATIVE RP threads would be gone if that system was in play??? How is that fair?
edit on 7-2-2012 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Reply to post by Vandettas

Why is there "that guy" in every conspiracy thread who acts like a dough eyed believer in the least likely and most absurd explanation? Wait. There isn't. There is usually one that "one guy" pointing out to the vast majority in the thread how absurd something is.

You should worry about that "one guy" trying to bring rational thought, logic and common sense to a thread. That "one guy" is horribly outnumbered by crowds of ignorance.....so no worries, your lizards threads and chemtrail threads are in no danger of falling prey to logic, reason and common sense.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

Democracy , in my opinion, can work when the vast majority of the population is well informed (like the members on ATS).

I do agree that this could be bad for the minorities, perhaps just having the posts be hidden instead of entire threads hidden would resolve that issue.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by Afterthought

it would be cool if the OP (original poster) had the ability to block certain people, and remove posts that they saw fit.

(within reason) so that trolls would be rendered useless.

trolls would also abuse this and post something crazy and make seperate accounts a hundred times over and make their topic popular, and delete anyone...

mass deleting would cause an alarm and the user would be stopped somehow...

but then trolls would do this to good people trying to get rid of them....

this is really complicated.

every time someone trolls in my thread im just going to reply with "disinfo troll detected"

How about just an ignore button to use against the trolls and shill's who are obviously derailing threads.

Seems a simple fix.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

that works better I think.... I'm pretty sure people can spot out trolling and a thread ender pretty fast... EVEN if they are all for the thread it could deter people from posting....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Ive only just joined but I guess I do tend to overplay the skeptic card. The thing is the reason I tend to attack conspiracy theorists is because I find the attitude of many quite similar to certain members of the christian community.
Its the hypocrisy the total lack of and outright refusal to follow the process of deductive reasoning and also the inevitable meltdown that occurs when belief systems are challenged.
I believe that the US government has a great deal of corruption within its structure. However I believe that the only way you guys are going to address this and rectify it is if people like me challenge you. If you watch the x files you'll notice that Scully constantly questions Muldaur rather than bitching and moaning about it he accepts it and admits that it keeps him honest. If conspiracists were allowed to they'd vanish up their own behinds and be lost to the world forever. You need someone there to remind you that the truth needs to be backed up with evidence and proof. Unfortunately the beloved leaders of the conspiracy movement have done everything in their power to destroy its followers and to shore up the governments positiion.
Nowadays the average person finds conspiracists to be a step above terrorists subversive and unpatriotic. You do realise that its the Bermases and the Tsarions of your movement who have created that perception single handedly?
This is why I always demand real hard proof several times over because once you present a conspiracy theory with facts and figures it ceases to become a theory. Is the use of Agent orange a conspiracy theory no
its mainstream fact. The aim is to get our theories to that level of scholarship

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Like a lot of websites, posts with a high number of thumbs down would be hidden,

Thus allowing "troll gangs" to censor posts. Brilliant. :shk:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Or moderators. On another note you tube needs to have a proper comments feature. If you could have some real intelligent discussion on some of the conspiracy videos the results would be heroic. Instead comments more than a few months old are lost since noone is willing to go through pages of mindless conversation.

There ought to be a conspiracy tube which gathers all the media from across the web and hosts it in a forum set up. There is such a diversity of voices in the conspiracy movement but noone to unite them. I really have zero respect or tolerance for the figureheads of the movement I find them smug hyprocritical deceitful greedy sometimes spiteful and always egotistical and arrogant. If we could get this tube online we would almost certainly reduce the need for us to go them for information.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by countnemo

There ought to be a conspiracy tube which gathers all the media from across the web and hosts it in a forum set up. There is such a diversity of voices in the conspiracy movement but noone to unite them. I really have zero respect or tolerance for the figureheads of the movement I find them smug hyprocritical deceitful greedy sometimes spiteful and always egotistical and arrogant. If we could get this tube online we would almost certainly reduce the need for us to go them for information.

That will never happen. There is a conspiracy among conspiracy theorists.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't understand what you're upset about. This place is open to ideas, but @ it's core it is a forum where debates take place. It has always been this way. If someone asks you for supporting evidence or "proof" of said claim, then the forum is working properly. If you cannot support your claims with anything substantial then perhaps the one questioning your ideas is not the one with the problem. Facts do not lie. Facts lead to growth, knowledge and understanding of the real world. There are many many unanswered questions, which is why many of us are here. We can only reach these answers though, through methods which include facts and critical thinking.
-Ideas or theories which have no factual evidence are beliefs. If someone happens to disagree with your beliefs, they are not a troll. Welcome to the internet.
ATS has never been a place for baseless or blind acceptance of fringe ideas. They're debated.
It sounds as if you're upset by those who ask you to back up your claims or show evidence which supports your view. How is that a bad thing? Ever?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by countnemo

That will never happen. There is a conspiracy among conspiracy theorists.

Why shouldnt it happen? Theorists would flock to a site like that. There would be a section in which documentation could be posted discussed debunked etc. It would pretty quickly help put an end to the bs pseudoscience and urban myth that spreads like wildfire through the community.

It would also put the figureheads of the movement out of a job since we'd have an archive filled with reliable non biased information.

I fear for the sanity of alot of theorists. I remember what it was like when I bought into the bs - helplessness fear. No solutions are offered just an endless stream of fire and brimstone style fearmongering. 2012 will come and go without anything of any real note thankfully and all the theories surrounding that will be replaced by revisions - oh no we thought it was 2012 when it was in fact 2020.

If there are any disinfo agents its more likely the people who insist on calling out everyone who is for applying academic research standards to conspiracy . These people stop the movement getting anywhere fast and maintain the idea that any and all conspiracy is beneath the attention of normal people.
edit on 13-2-2012 by countnemo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join