It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GUYS, GIRLS, YOU GO TO SEE THIS! Self sustaining aquaponics greenhouse!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Guy, girls, you gotta see this!
Totally self sustaining green house, with aquaponics!
It amazing, truly the future.
Now I know these have existed for a while, but there are a few innovations here, with the water filled oil drums acting as a heat source, and a near perfect circuitry.
Even if not totally new, there are no topics here about this truly revolutionary gardening science.
The video is in Hungarian, trying to get subtitles for it as I speak, but please see it, you will understand it by looking at pictures.
I couldn't wait, it is SO amazing.
But basically, the greenhouse has NO HEATING. And it has been minus 5-2o outside for weeks, yet is 2o degrees inside, celsius!
Oil drums filled with water surrounding greenhouse collect heat, and heat the greenhouse.
Now with -2o outside it is 24 C inside, with lows still above frost.
Tank with fishes provides the nutrients, which are circled into "seed banks" with seeds growing in GRAVEL like substance. Water refiltered by this and plants is then circled back into aqua tank.
Totally clean operation!
Totally toxic free operation.
No need for spraying, etc.
Once set up very cheap, and safe. Just food for fish, and replacement of gravel like substance.
Totally ORGANIC food. BOTH PLANT AND WILDLIFE (FISH) in this case.
The creator is working on modular development for LARGE SCALE SUSTAINABILITY:
Imagine that!
Greenhouses with fish and plants growing without electricity and even in the coldest places!

I will post if I have subtitles, but seriously take a look.
First and maybe last Hungarian video you look at, but worth it!

I will also try posting pics, but net easy on ATS

Contact me if you want to pick up this story for international media!

tv2.hu...
Another link:

I am also in contact with the "inventor", if you have any questions, I WILL try to pass it along!

Some pics, note the fish tank, more to follow:

edit on 7-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

Very frustrating not post images on ATS. I have uploaded images to my account, but they do not show.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hmm, kinda similar to hydroponics??? yes?

Looks fairly easy to rig together if you have the right material!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

very similar, but the genius is the water barrels acting as insulators.
So far this has only worked in Mediterranean climates.
In other climates external heating was needed.
THIS MODEL HAS NO EXTERNAL HEATING!
Totally self sustained!
With the small change, you could do it in scotland, or in very cold places, provided there is SOME sunshine.
and it is easy to put together, thats the whole idea.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I would love to understand what the guy is saying. I'm not even sure what language it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

Come back latter, I will try to get a subtitles version up.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Fantastic......could you imagine being able to grow in extremely harsh enviroments without power!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'll have to watch the video, but I would like to know how the barrels keep warm in sub zero temps. Even with sunlight they should freeze unless they are pump circulated....which they prolly are, I should watch the vid...never mind...lol

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

exactly! that was my first idea, thats why I wanted to share.
the water barrels, are SO SIMPLE, yet no one has though of them until know!
it truly takes this to a new level of sustainability, especially as the creator is working on a modular form of this, which could provide large frame environmentally safe agriculture alternatives.
he has also developed a cooling system for summer months....very simple also...
so far this type of agriculture has not spread because of these to limits!
imagine plants with no fertilizers and herbicide, imagine fish that are the producers of the ecosystem, so they too have a totally different role, not as with large scale fish agriculture. they are no the end, but providers of nutrients. double whammy....off course hydroponics already exist, but with this small change....

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

until I have a subtitled version, I will pas on your question, and will share the reply.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I just got done watching the video.

He built himself a miniature bio-dome!

I am assuming that by keeping the barrels inside the greenhouse, it would supply enough warmth. You could use a gravity feed for a lot of the water, but it looks like there is a pump with the fish tank. He circulates the water through the fish tank and pumps it through the plant system if I understood the video correctly. Brilliant idea with the fish! They would act as not only a cleaner for the water, but also supply nutrients. If filtered right, the fish would be one of the most important aspects of the entire system he has. I want an English translation!
That's awesome!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
A few things I noticed.
The greenhouse is partially in the ground, below ground level. This helps prevent freezing, and helps maintain temperature control.
The side not facing the sun is heavily insulated (it appears), and that is good, while the side with sun exposure is not.
The design and orientation of the greenhouse to the sun is largely responsible for the temperature control. The thermal mass of the water helps a lot as well.
Please post the subtitled version when available. Also, the website doesn't appear to have English translation.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I believe the pump is used, but is propelled by the solar panels mounted on the roof, so it is still totally off grid, closed ecosystem. However, you could do without the pump, note the collecting trays, but you would have to check up every few hours, and physically dump the water inside the tank....It is largely a matter of convenience. .
he is an agricultural engineer and built this from scratch.
I will try to get further clarification soon, hopefully latest tomorrow, and an english subtitled version up.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

Yes, the design is very important. Not only does it provide heat in the winter, it provides cool in the summer.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The color of the barrels probably has a lot to do with it as well. Black or dark green will absorb a lot of heat. I would think at some point he would have a problem with it being to warm. I wonder how he ventilates it.
Although, that might just be making it more complicated than it is.

He seems to have developed a very simple system that works.
That's what I think makes this so cool.
People up in Alaska where I was, were doing a lot of greenhouses with somewhat similar setups, greenhouse-wise anyways. There were no fish or barrels, but they still kept fairly warm in the winter. I can see how the barrels would work, that's awesome! I wonder if they just sit there for warmth or if he runs the water around and through them for filtering.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
very similar, but the genius is the water barrels acting as insulators.

There's actually nothing unusual about that, he's just using the water-filled drums as a thermal mass. The sun heats them up during the day and then the heat is released at night. The same technique has been used for thousands of years, it was actually the heating method of choice before we started using HVAC systems to artificially maintain our environments. Thermal massing can consist many things including containers of water, thick concrete or even large slabs of natural stone. It can be used on any surface- walls, ceiling or even flooring.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Yes, I agree, and I may be mistaken, but currently used hydroponics have not integrated this. AT least not in such a cold environment.
To my knowledge, and PLEASE do correct me if I am wrong (as I may very well be), such a setup for this type of greenhouse, hasn't been used in such a cold environment. They all required external, grid heating, so surly this setup does have some merit, taking into account the environment.
Off course the barrels have been used as cooling, warming, yet so far to my knowledge it has not been used in such a cold environment, in this way for this purpose, but do correct me Iif I am wrong.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

neato
tell him to change the entrance though he needs to seal the place up and install an airlock
to keep GMO pollen out

is he using compost for heating like this guy?

also ask him if he can include bee's

as i believe these kinds of systems could be used to save them from extinction.
S&F

edit on 7-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Excellent!
We need more of this type of info, will pass it along....
his is why I felt the need to share.
This is some truly game chaining stuff imo.
Perhaps they guy in your vid can try the solar panel and the water drum thing for heat retention?
And no compost! I understand that what your video uses for heat, but can do even without!
Although using it for extra heating, awesome idea.
I will pass the info along, as compost should provide plenty extra hear.
But its all cool!

I wonder why these alternative, sustainable and year round (!) production techniques are not more known, appreciated. Why is there no change to this type of agriculture on a larger scale?
Sure building a greenhouse is expensive, but NO fertilizers, NO compost, NO waste....Surely that is a large saving right there.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
How about these...

"Pacific Domes has already installed a BioEnergy Dome that helps feed and supply energy to the residents of the Navajo Indian Reservation in Naatani, Arizona. The interior hosts a fresh pond, which provides water to a multitude of plant trays stacked throughout the dome. Each day, the dome farm produces around 11 lbs of fresh, organic, chemical-free produce.

The pond is thick with duckweed and algae, which feeds the fish within. Since algae have incredible filtering properties, the entire system is self-cleaning, and therefore chemical-free. The fish produced are clean, organic, and plentiful – the dome produces around 100-150 pounds of fish each year. The algae in the pond can alternatively be used to treat greywater instead of for farming, removing contaminants from laundry, dishwashing and other household processes.

Aside from producing vegetables, the domes produce plants that are converted into energy using a methane digester. The methane is then converted into kilowatt energy, which can be used to power a generator. Duckweed and algae also harness solar energy, converting it to biofuel. The dome can create enough bio-fuel to power one home each day.

Because the domes are so aerodynamic, wind harvesting is easy as well – the domes are a true powerhouse of sustainable design. The domes can also be used for events, overnight retreats, or meetings – and can be constructed virtually anywhere."

You can even live in them!

inhabitat.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is a good introductory video to aquaponics. We are setting this up here in the tropics, we have perfect temperature, but it can be done in any climate, just using different fish and plants. Aquaponics is simply combining aquaculture (fish farming) and hydroponics, where the fish waste fertilizes the plants, and the plants filter the water for the fish. In effect, a mini ecosystem. FREE, PURE, ORGANIC FOOD FOREVER.

The Detroit guys are using composting as well to provide heat, still a great setup in freezing temp.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join