It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we get our ATS back online?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I know you guys are a bunch of junkies. I'm trying to imagine what you all would do with all that extra time if TPTB really did take ATS offline, (myself included.) It would be mayhem in the streets, you would find a lot of your neighbors pacing aimlessly around their yards, as if noticing sunlight for the first time, right? Like the chimps that had not seen the light of sun for thirty years?

Anyways, serious question. What are you gonna do if they do close the site tomorrow? What kind of efforts would you go to to try and get it back online? The problem with the current world situations across the board is that we are all standing on the precipice of massive change in so many ways. What we tend to do is put things off until the last minute when they have already made their destructive impact on our lives, then we try and deal with them. In this case, after we have lost our beloved ATS, what are we going to do about it?

Please give thoughtful answers, I know the first thing you might do is start working on your tan, or clean the garage, but what after that, and more importantly, should we be doing it already? Any sites or links to groups that are making efforts in protest would be extremely helpful, as well as any well thought out ideas on how to make the most out of a little effort.

How do we get our ATS back on?
edit on 6-2-2012 by Quauhtli because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Perhaps you can find out if there are other singles in your area! I mean, ATSers, not singles, sorry. If the TPTB shut down ATS, there are other sites, maybe ATSers also visit there. However it would be awkward to suggest an ATS meet-up in your own city if there are only a few of you.

So, if you are worried about ATS getting shut down perhaps you should co-ordinate with other ATS members in your local area first. Then when the local ATS groups are established we have a sort of cell structure that connects ATS groups to their nearby counterparts and those counterparts hold the link to a city beyond their horizon.

Erm, Like if New York ATSers could no longer talk to Los Angeles ATSers on ATS, then maybe they can reroute their signal through a network of contacts going down the East Coast, bypassing Florida and then through Louisiana and Texas to Las Vegas and over the desert to Los Angeles. Then back again.

This is a subject of study by anarchists, how to secretly move messages around if TPTB want to suppress your use of electronic communication networks built on their infrastructure. I know enough theoretically to tell you how to set up this underground ATS pen-and-paper network, but I already have anarchist allies in place to get my messages out if I have anything important to say.

ATS is important, but shutting it down would raise eyebrows, the government could not bear to look the public in the eye about censorship.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't really care if this site was shut down.

2nd

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
A first step would be to mirror the site elsewhere, perhaps several times, and in different countries, perhaps even Sealand. At its heart ATS is just a group of IP addresses. "Shutting it down" is as simple as blocking those IP addresses which does not even require a physical visit. On the other hand, the server site itself could be raided. So there are several different issues involved.

I would think the owners have done at least part of this, and it is the owners who need to do it. There's not a lot we can do as users.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

Sounds like fun, but I guess it's not really about meeting the people around here as much as getting the interesting info back that makes this place such a good source for your interests. The reason that I wrote the post is that I keep seeing and hearing about all the sites like Youtube and such changing their privacy policies and it makes me wonder how ATS would take it if they had to change some of the rules. Your idea is very interesting, I would like to meet some of the people around here in the real life, but more, probably just to know some likeminded folks, as they are hard to find in the real world.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nonono

Yeah right, stop lying,
second line

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

An easy step to meet others would be to ask others to fill out their location in the miniprofile. Mine says Ottawa, I am comfortable with people knowing my city, not my home address, but we know I am in that city, others who are in Ottawa might want to talk to me face to face about ATS things, and they can message me about that.

People on ATS are archetypical paranoid, and many do not put their locations in the miniprofile, however judging from the amount of Americans on this site I think it would be easy to find other Americans; Canadians are also easy to find on this site, they're so stereotypically not Americans :p

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

Thank you but I am more interested in what we would do or how we would go about trying to get back the site. I would like to see some of the other places like Google, Facebook, or Youtube go back to their previous privacy policies, and am wondering how we could make this happen. I am surprised there are not a lot of these types of discussions going on right now. Maybe I have not looked into it enough, but all I have seen so far is sites disapperaing, like Mega upload, and some protesting, like in europe, but I have not seen any dialogue going on about how we stop this runaway train.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Quauhtli because: add

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why would they close ATS? Think about it, this site has it's self set up so it really can't be legally shut down. This site is more heavily censored than any other i know of. So if ATS was taken down chances are most of the internet has been taken down.

new topics

top topics

join