It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God" isnt qualified to give out relationship advice - He's never dealt with either sex.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm pretty sure there are not “over 300 sects/versions of Christianity” unless your counting all the independent churches and political divisions within certain churches (ie. Lutheran Church Missouri Synod vs Lutheran Church Wisconsin Synod). Most of the differences between Christian Churches are fairly minor, which is why its now common for them to offer “open communion” even to those of different Christian congregations. A lot of it is nit-picky stuff like immersion vs non-immersion in baptism. Only a few of the more fringe ones (ie. The Mormons, etc.) vary too far from the main points of the Christian faith (salvation through faith, and so on).

Independent churches are a whole other ball of wax though, and literally anyone can go pay $50.00 to get a license to open an independent church with no oversight from a governing church body. That's where all your whacky churches and cults come from. Nothing to do with mainline Christianity, often it has more to do with someone using religion a business, and means to control a group of people.

If you stay with a mainline protestant church, something like the Lutherans, Prysbetarians, or Methodists, you'll be pretty happy and safe from the scammers.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by paleorchid13
First thing that happened when I clicked on the site was a warning from firefox that the site has a poor reputation

Anyhoo , I think the bible is barbaric when read in it's entirety. It only makes me mistrust it more when there are over 300 sects /versions of Christianity ..whom take different perspectives on the bible , and claim to include or occlude certain parts. IF the bible was so crisp and clear ...why such disagreement?

Only one thing can be extrapolated by this ..is that the Bible is up to interpretation and therefore , by default only based on opinion or perception ..which makes it ...................need I say more ???

When it comes to relationships ..the bible doesn't talk much about introspect , boundaries and doesn't really apply to modern times as much as it talks about draconian laws and quaint , cozy, unrealistic metaphors . *duck*

One could ask that you go in to a little more depth than just a broad statement based on hearsay.
The simple fact is that the bible is one book with one common theme. That theme is Jesus.
Is it barbaric? You bet.
God is no cuddly little garden ornament thats for sure.
As for that website. After having a good look it is very consistent with the Christian message. That message is, repent or face judgement.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

The Bible is not "barbaric." the story of the bible is not "repent or face judgement." The Bible is about love. I used to believe the Bible is an outdated manuscript with no real bearing on modern life. That is, it's what I believed until I actually read it, cover to cover. It was only then I realized how wrong I was, even before I became a Christian.
Yes, there are battles, debautury, and claims of absolute truth in the Bible. Pick up any holy book, the Quaran, the Ramayana, you will find the same thing. Sacred books cut right to the core of humanity, and it's not a pretty picture. The Bible cuts to the core of who God is, and at that core is love.
Is repentance a part of the Bible and Christian Faith? Absolutely.
Is judgement a part of the Bible and Christian Faith? You Bet
Are they the core of what we believe? Couldn't be more wrong.
Grace, Faith, Mercy, Love.
Those are the heart of the Bible.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Yes (and I am a Christian) if you take every single word literally. It is just not practical to do so, and I can't believe that anybody thinks otherwise (and actually believes it). I am Catholic but I don't always agree with everything I am told. I feel that 99% of what is out there in organized religion is the intrepertation of man, not God.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
What an ignorant post.
I have been married for 20 years this year, and yes to the same woman for 20 years.
We are both Christians united in serving the Lord Jesus, each other and our children.
What you have completely neglected to note, consider, point out is Christs teachings to His church, particularly the men and Husbands

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it

Jesus teaches far more than the simple verse you read. To suggest what you have is not even half the story.
If in your mind you could understand what Jesus mission for humanity was and still is you would realise a husbands role goes beyond service, as did Christs.
And if you place working for money above raising children....There are so many faults in your logic it doesnt justify my time

Yes, correct. The Bible teaches us to love and serve our spouse in the exact same manner Christ did for His church.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

If you stay with a mainline protestant church, something like the Lutherans, Prysbetarians, or Methodists, you'll be pretty happy and safe from the scammers.

You think that even though the home church and independent church is the model of Christianity from the first century? I purposely left denominational churches because I was concerned that they got their "marching orders" from state and national offices for their denomination instead of relying on the leading of the Holy Spirit. I'd much rather attend a church where it's livelihood depends on Christ alone. Where Christ is the head of the church and not a state or national body of people elected to lead the denomination.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Its true. The most beautiful "marriage" relationship one can experience is the one between Christ and the church. Christ is the bridegroom and the church in the bride, this description is based out of revelation. I often find it funny that people describe "finding" God. He was never lost! We are the lost. God is the bridegroom, which means he is actively pursuing us.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarlboroRedCowgirl
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Its true. The most beautiful "marriage" relationship one can experience is the one between Christ and the church. Christ is the bridegroom and the church in the bride, this description is based out of revelation. I often find it funny that people describe "finding" God. He was never lost! We are the lost. God is the bridegroom, which means he is actively pursuing us.

Yep, no man searches for God of his or her own volition. If a person is actively seeking God that means God has first drawn that person to Himself. It's all on His initiative. And as Jesus said, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you."

edit on 7-2-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Case of the feminism? The bible is written with intentions for its own followers. If you don't like it, then don't follow it. The word is meant to be interpreted as a guide towards true living, and you are interpreting it harshly and inaccurately.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join