It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God" isnt qualified to give out relationship advice - He's never dealt with either sex.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Reading this lovely little gem of a site Jesus is Savior

Tis apparent from reading this that the bible isnt qualified to give out relationship advice and therefore people shouldn't use its teachings. Lets be honest here, the reason women these days dont shy away from responsibility and independence is because men - just like women, are unreliable. Dont hate me yet.

Men are men - Some are wonderful providers who cannot do enough for the friends, families and communities in general. There are those that will go out at 3am in the morning to buy there pregnant wifes/gf's ice cream. Those that work long days just to put abit of food on the table and keep electric and gas running. There are men that go to extremes to provide safety, shelter, warmth and food and these men make the world go round and in return they deserve happy fulfilling lives.
However, not all men are like this. That is just the way the world is. There are men that dont want a job. There are men that dont want the responsibility of providing and find it to stressful - and thats okay. Some men dont want to provide, some women dont want to bare children - There's nothing wrong with either.
And so, with a surging lack of male providers, women have had to provide for themselves. And many of them choose to do this by getting educated so they can get a well paid job and pay there way in life without having to deal with inconsistent partners - I personally don't feel there is anything wrong with taking care of yourself.

However, Christianity almost requires you to marry. And for women, this means serving the "lord", your husband and as expected, your family. And you are expected to do this with "feminine grace" i.e doing as your told, never arguing with your husband, asking his permission to go out and do this and that, you never wear the pants, you never contest decisions - even if they involve the well-being of your own flesh and blood. You are expected to switch off and serve - Just like a machine. And here is the simple reason as to why this causes problems - Women have a tendency to think. It happens quite often actually.
Now, why would God, or even jesus, overlook this well known fact? Surely, God who created ALL things (according to the bible) would have created women to be less active in the brain if her only purpose was to pour wine and bare children? Its not like he gave women an "off-switch" and for women to be expected to never oppose decisions that personally effect them and there loved ones is ludicrous! People who are kept in the dark like mushrooms go crazy, the same happens in a marriage where one of the partners is unstable and unreliable.
Anyhow, the tone of that site i linked you to basicly states that most marital problems can be solved by the women submitting to the man, regardless of the situation - and its backed up with references to the bible.

Apparently, its a cure - Because a woman's happiness means nothing. Her life means nothing. And i just find it difficult to comprehend that a god would create this creature, give her a brain, make her resourceful and then expect it to be wasted serving another human being and being completely dependent upon someone else for her own survival? Does that not strike you as backwards?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I have to admit I'm kind of jealous of how easy it would have been to get a wife in the olden days. I mean, come on a free servant, it's like having the free space on a bingo card in economics, you just have to accumulate the other numbers and eventually you win, the free space is just that.

Now women do not want to be a free space for their husbands gamble at having servants to help him win economically. They want their own cards, maybe the man gets to be the free space :p.

I do agree God isn't fit to hand our relationship advice to all of humanity simply because there is no archetypical relationship at all, you can be polygamous or monogamous, swinger or abstinent. God could not hand down rules for all possible relationships and still have enough pages left to write down other important rules.

Perhaps the Biblical ideas of not allowing homosexuality are now outdated, because humanity does have enough population to be a self-sustaining species around the world, and we do not need to force Homosexuals into a heterosexual relationship merely to make everyone replace themselves with children.

Today we have too many people to properly care for everyone, Homosexualitys increased acceptance in contradiction with the Bible could very well be a large part of Gods plan, we are safe in a giant population against an extinction event, we can let Homosexuals practice their lifestyles and expect them to be functioning members of society despite their lack of offspring.

If you listen to your own desires, perhaps God will lead you, but perhaps you must listen to your rational decision making side rather than your animalistic side, God made us have both for that reason. We'd choose one over the other, and act upon why we chose it.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Sachyriel because: spelling is fun, editing is merely funny

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

HOLY Hell...

How can you learn anything from that site?!?!

Its a jumbled mess.... someone needs to slap the person that coded that site....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

You actually seem to have missed something.

According to the Bible, marriage is good but celibacy is better (for those who can avoid sexual temptation).

edit on 6/2/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

Your must be the first Christian on this site ive met who is actually reasonable with their beliefs, thank you for sharing your thoughts

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Im not saying marriage isnt good, im talking about the expectancy from both participants and how the expectations of a women's role conflicts with her natural sense of survival.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What an ignorant post.
I have been married for 20 years this year, and yes to the same woman for 20 years.
We are both Christians united in serving the Lord Jesus, each other and our children.
What you have completely neglected to note, consider, point out is Christs teachings to His church, particularly the men and Husbands

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it

Jesus teaches far more than the simple verse you read. To suggest what you have is not even half the story.
If in your mind you could understand what Jesus mission for humanity was and still is you would realise a husbands role goes beyond service, as did Christs.
And if you place working for money above raising children....There are so many faults in your logic it doesnt justify my time

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Well the obvious answer is that the Bible was neither conceived or inspired by any deities but instead was written primarily by men for men. Women were seen almost as property in the old testament. Fathers could even sell their daughter's into slavery and let's not forget how Lot decided to offer the mob his virgin daughters to be raped. It's funny that Lot's wife, a woman, was instantly turned into a pillar of salt for looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah but Lot offered his virgin daughters to the savagery of a sexually deviant mob without any such consequences.

I agree that God is not qualified to give relationship advice, after all he thinks that a rape victim should marry their attacker and that adultery should be punished by brutal execution (Deuteronomy 22).

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
What an ignorant post.
I have been married for 20 years this year, and yes to the same woman for 20 years.
We are both Christians united in serving the Lord Jesus, each other and our children.
What you have completely neglected to note, consider, point out is Christs teachings to His church, particularly the men and Husbands

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it

Jesus teaches far more than the simple verse you read. To suggest what you have is not even half the story.
If in your mind you could understand what Jesus mission for humanity was and still is you would realise a husbands role goes beyond service, as did Christs.
And if you place working for money above raising children....There are so many faults in your logic it doesnt justify my time

Again, i state that i am discussing a woman's role in marriage and how it conflicts with her natural sense of survival. I never said money was more important then raising children, they are both equally important if children are involved. However, the last century proved that men could no longer consistently provide food, shelter, warmth and safety and therefore many women took it upon themselves to provide for themselves - Thus proving that women are not door mats. So, to expect them to behave in such a way and be "ruled over" by men is surely infringing upon there natural ability to take care of themselves?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Im not saying marriage isnt good, im talking about the expectancy from both participants and how the expectations of a women's role conflicts with her natural sense of survival.

You also have to factor in that the rules expressed in the Bible have to be applicable for all times, cultures and societies.

Back when the Old Testament was being written, women did not inherit land (unless they had no male siblings, then there was a legal exception). This made women quite dependent on marriage to establish a "legacy". Women could (and did) work for their own income, just like today, and were not necessarily required to marry.

We currently live in times where women cannot afford to be "kept" so both partners must go out and work. This places stresses on the relationships that were unimaginable back then.

Back then, women had no real choice in building up a financial empire or not, now, women have no choice as to if they will work or stay home to do "domestic duties". Now they are expected and required to do both. Hardly fair, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Your must be the first Christian on this site ive met who is actually reasonable with their beliefs, thank you for sharing your thoughts

I am not a Christian, I am a an Absurdist, it can be found in Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

You also have to factor in that the rules expressed in the Bible have to be applicable for all times, cultures and societies.

Back when the Old Testament was being written, women did not inherit land (unless they had no male siblings, then there was a legal exception). This made women quite dependent on marriage to establish a "legacy". Women could (and did) work for their own income, just like today, and were not necessarily required to marry.

We currently live in times where women cannot afford to be "kept" so both partners must go out and work. This places stresses on the relationships that were unimaginable back then.

Back then, women had no real choice in building up a financial empire or not, now, women have no choice as to if they will work or stay home to do "domestic duties". Now they are expected and required to do both.

So, would you agree with the statement that the Bible cannot provide relationship advice in modern times? Effectively calling it out-dated?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel

I am not a Christian, I am a an Absurdist, it can be found in Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hahaha works for me

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Again, i state that i am discussing a woman's role in marriage and how it conflicts with her natural sense of survival. I never said money was more important then raising children, they are both equally important if children are involved. However, the last century proved that men could no longer consistently provide food, shelter, warmth and safety and therefore many women took it upon themselves to provide for themselves - Thus proving that women are not door mats. So, to expect them to behave in such a way and be "ruled over" by men is surely infringing upon there natural ability to take care of themselves?

Thats because you have it all wrong
Completely and utterly wrong. The point is that men and women are supposed to compliment each other. Women are not equal to men and never have been, or,if you like men are not equal to women and never have been.
This door mat belief is fictional and is a complete miss reading of the text

Men are given the headship over the family, possibly because they are not as emotionaly controlled.

Another thing you havnt considered is that right now in history we have what we call welfare, outside of that women on their own would find survival very difficult.
Look in to any third world country and you will see why women need men.

Its seems inconceivable to me that women like you think that men are redundant in womens lives, as it would be women in mens lives. Have you a personal agenda??

The whole point of what the bible teaches is respect between husband and wife, to Christians, and also remember the bible teaches to Christians. If you dont want to apply its teachings to your life, then fine.
Why go preach your feminist agenda at everyone else
Men are given the leadership role of the family, thats a fact and there are many reasons for it.
edit on 6-2-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Back then, women had no real choice in building up a financial empire or not, now, women have no choice as to if they will work or stay home to do "domestic duties". Now they are expected and required to do both.

So, would you agree with the statement that the Bible cannot provide relationship advice in modern times? Effectively calling it out-dated?

No.

The problem is that in "modern times" we aren't doing much differently than we have always done. Human beings do human things.

It's just that in modern times, we make no real attempt to hold to a particular moral order.

It is selfish and all sorts of major issues fall out of the mess of wants and thoughtless actions. Some of those things spread STI's, promote dangerous psychotic behavior and kill, so it isn't trivial.

The morality underscored by the Bible has a real value in terms of survival of the society and individuals.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Additionally, God actually invented sex. I'd expect He might know a thing or two about it.

Jesus also was God, in the flesh as a human being. My guess is that He would have had to deal with the issues of sexual attraction. He went through being a teenage boy, so I guess He is likely to have had normal teenage boy rampant hormones, too.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Reading this lovely little gem of a site Jesus is Savior

Can't you tell just from looking at that sites front page, that its not a good source to get any factual information, from a true christian perspective, on the bible?

You can usually pick up on a fanatical nuts site, especially a religious one, simply by counting up what the number of font colors on the first page is:
>1 good chance its a nutters site.
>2 doubly good chance its a nutters site.

However, Christianity almost requires you to marry.

It does no such thing. As a matter of fact people like Paul remained celibate. Christ even endorsed it:

Matthew 19:10-12 (KJV)
10His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
11But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

12For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

And for women, this means serving the "lord", your husband and as expected, your family. And you are expected to do this with "feminine grace" i.e doing as your told, never arguing with your husband, asking his permission to go out and do this and that, you never wear the pants, you never contest decisions

that's not how its supposed to work. Its supposed to be a team effort of two people working as one:

Ephesians 5:23-32 (KJV)

23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

There are those who try and use the Bible as a source for male chauvinism, but that’s really bending the intent. If a man is abusing his wife, even emotionally, then he is not “loving her as he would his own body”, and certainly not in the way that Christ loves his church.

Of course there are also verses in the Old Testament that were not rules by God, but rather of Jewish men. It was a different world back then, with different ideals, and that is going to show up in their writings and beliefs. Just because Jewish law says something, that does not mean it necessarily applies to Gentile Christians, Christians in general, or even that it actually came from God.

Now are there times its helpful to only have one captain of the ship, like in an emergency...
Well... Obviously:
“Honey, I think the house is on fire...”
“Well, hon lets sit and discuss your feelings on that and what we should do about it.”

Now, why would God, or even jesus, overlook this well known fact?

Actually, Christ treated women much better then most men of his time, in fact it became a matter of contention between him and his disciples. He defended Mary Magdalene multiple times, was very close with her, and even some of his disciples were jealous of the relationship between the two. Who was the first person Christ appeared to after his resurrection? There has even been speculation that the book of John was actually written by Mary.

Anyhow, the tone of that site i linked you to basicly states that most marital problems can be solved by the women submitting to the man, regardless of the situation - and its backed up with references to the bible.

...And if you know the bible well you can pick and choose to twist things into almost any meaning you want it to have...
Look, I can Biblically prove there are no women in heaven:

Rev 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/6/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0nautAdditionally, God actually invented sex.

The creator invented Meiosis because of the dichotomy of Anarchy and Authority.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I used to believe the Bible was sexist because it spoke on the womans role in the home, spoke of them as
"weaker spiritual vessels" and the insain teaching on menstration. I do not feel that way anymore. I am a Christian wife. God does not give relationship "advice," he created marriage. He gives relationship commands. If you want a fulfilling, happy marriage, you do it Gods way. If you don't, take man's advice. He where it getcha. Trust me, I've done it both ways. God used to walk with Adam and Eve in the garden, he knows every hair on your head and every intimate detail in your relationship.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
First thing that happened when I clicked on the site was a warning from firefox that the site has a poor reputation

Anyhoo , I think the bible is barbaric when read in it's entirety. It only makes me mistrust it more when there are over 300 sects /versions of Christianity ..whom take different perspectives on the bible , and claim to include or occlude certain parts. IF the bible was so crisp and clear ...why such disagreement?

Only one thing can be extrapolated by this ..is that the Bible is up to interpretation and therefore , by default only based on opinion or perception ..which makes it ...................need I say more ???

When it comes to relationships ..the bible doesn't talk much about introspect , boundaries and doesn't really apply to modern times as much as it talks about draconian laws and quaint , cozy, unrealistic metaphors . *duck*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join