It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Calls for Accelerated Use of Drones in U.S

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Congress Calls for Accelerated Use of Drones in U.S

www.fas.org

House-Senate conference report this week called on the Administration to accelerate the use of civilian unmanned aerial systems (UAS), or “drones,” in U.S. airspace.

The pending authorization bill for the Federal Aviation Administration directs the Secretary of Transporation to develop within nine months “a comprehensive plan to safely accelerate the integration of civil unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fas.org

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Very interesting Development. Could this be for simple training purposes or for something much more grand. We have plenty of dedicated military airspace in which to train already so why the need for this bill from Congress?

I get the feeling that this back door legislation buried in the Recent NDAA is designed to leave the door open for other operations and future needs on US soil. Makes me wonder...

So NDAA brought us indefinite detention for US citizens and now lays the groundwork for unlimited use of unmanned military drones in US airspace. Which is already crowded with commercial and general aviation aircraft.

www.fas.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
A little bit more

Update: In the recently enacted FY2012 National Defense Authorization Act (section 1097), Congress mandated that “the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall establish a program to integrate unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system at six test ranges.” This new test range program is supposed to be established within 180 days.

As of 2010, hundreds of FAA authorizations had already been granted for use of unmanned aerial systems within U.S. airspace.

www.fas.org...

Still scratching my head. The push seems powerful and rapid.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

how stupid really
think about it:
if your country is being savaged by drones

a bomb in the right place and time
will take out a lot of sitting ducks
strapped to their gaming -Cough- i meant command consoles.

edit

Still scratching my head. The push seems powerful and rapid.

follow the money
edit on 6-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
IMO there is only one legitimate place to routinely use drones--the border. Uses other than that are a waste of money (drones ain't cheap) and present tons of civil liberty questions.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I don't think that this is as bad as it seems.

UAV's/robotics is the next logical evolutionary step of the almighty war machine.

The military are going to be actively developing this technology (not just the USA) and will require dedicated airspace.

Just don't sunbath naked in the back yard.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
How long until they start using hellfires on the gang problem-or maybe they will really go to town and start taking out speeding motorists??

Free DU for everyone!!!

Now you may say that won't happen,that the drones will only be used as recon-but thats how they started out in Iraq/Afghanistan and now Pakistan..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
These drones faze me! I'm scared to death of these things.
I wonder if Iran will share it's secret on how to bring down those drones.
That might be useful knowledge someday in 1984.

link   
Equipped with next generational electronics, These drones will be able to see through walls...hear muted voices,sense body heat or even persperation....
Coupled with the smart projectile technology now extant, and with more refinements to come, these drones will be used for many more invasions of our privacy than simple spying..
There will next come some kind of laws governing or allowing drones to be used against the civilian population in a very abusive manner ......
With WiFi technology rampant in civillian life, it would be duck soup for a passing drone to listen in on your phone or perhaps even examine your hard drive if your PC is left on.....
Think about this, as a web of infringements on our liberty is marshalled against the people, in the name of good goverment?????!

link   
Equipped with next generational electronics, These drones will be able to see through walls...hear muted voices,sense body heat or even persperation....
Coupled with the smart projectile technology now extant, and with more refinements to come, these drones will be used for many more invasions of our privacy than simple spying..
There will next come some kind of laws governing or allowing drones to be used against the civilian population in a very abusive manner ......
With WiFi technology rampant in civillian life, it would be duck soup for a passing drone to listen in on your phone or perhaps even examine your hard drive if your PC is left on.....
Think about this, as a web of infringements on our liberty is marshalled against the people, in the name of good goverment?????!

link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Exactly my point. That is why this has been written into law. They want to expand into civilian airspace and I call hogwash on training efforts. We already have the airspace for that (Military Training Routes (MTRs), Military Operations Areas (MOAs), and Restricted Areas (RAs).

www.flytandem.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

reply to post by stirling

With American designed electronics......not likely.

I'm more worried that a drone will crash into my house the next time I microwave some popcorn.

dum dum Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Fiction Becomes Fact ? The Birth of Skynet ? Once A.I. Technology outpaces Human Command and Control Systems , Theoretically Machines could Overide their initial Programming and become Rogues............Hmm.....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
IMO there is only one legitimate place to routinely use drones--the border. Uses other than that are a waste of money (drones ain't cheap) and present tons of civil liberty questions.

Real estate agents may disagree with you - one of the main "problems" is them using drones to take aerial photos of properties in California - the drones are operating at a similar height to police helicopters

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What are the reasons for these drones? Is it not enough to monitor the entire internet, listen to nearly all phone calls, and allow US citizens to be subject to indefinite detention?

Who or what are they looking at? Will these drones be armed?
edit on 6-2-2012 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
We are months if not weeks away from ``Congress calls for accelerated use of ARMED drones in U.S.``.

If they aren't already covertly... which they probably are.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by deloprator20000

Read my post above yours...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Pages in Congress were demanded to make paper planes of each memo they passed, and all the hot air balloons were technically air-to-air refueling stations.

But you know they'll keep the second amendment at arms length from letting you put drones in the sky. Not that I don't trust the American Public with guns in their hands, but I don't trust you to drink and drive, never mind drink and fly a fighter jet.

Okay, so no show of hands for the people who want to drink and fly fighter jets. Good stuff.
But It would be interesting if the Drug war escalates into the air with the Cartels delivering drugs in their own UAVs, in a manner akin to all your favourite movies about drug smugglers in planes of their own?

Noise over signal, makes it possible for noise at all. Noise hiding signal, Signals about noise.

Then again if you can't put conventional guns on the plane what about laser-designators for the new guided bullet from Sandia? This other ATS post makes me wonder why Congress wants more UAVs. Could UAVs in the civilian hand really have a cheap laser-guided munition?

I mean, why not, the government wants the laser-guided munitions to be cheap, give the civilians a taste and pressure them with more intrusive security measures on these weapons. But before we ask ourselves who we should be keeping these silver bullets of magic aim and distance away from, who gets to own them?

The US government might want to register the flying guns in its airspace, especially the ones with this new cheap laser guided munition.

I wonder how much it'll cost here .... in Canada.

edit on 6-2-2012 by Sachyriel because: cause cheap laser guided ammunition is my .02 on this article :p

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Since the police, FBI etc already use helicopters extensively what additional powers does that government get by using drones other than losing the chain of unreliable human operators between the decision maker and the executor? Now the guy who would have issued a command to fire would simply press a button himself.

I know currently they may not be deploying armed drones, but no legal changes would be needed to do so when deemed necessary. It would be an administrative decision to use armed drones instead of unarmed ones.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join