It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An attempt to infect my PC from ATS, or one of it's ads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
For some reason every time I come to ATS, mostly at night I seem to have problems. Sometimes I have a blank white page being returned to me, many times when I am trying to post something, and at other times the webpage just freezes completely, or is extely slow.

This only happens on ATS, no other website. My pc, and internet connection are very uptodate, so the freezing, and blank pages are not coming from my end more so when this doesn't happen on any other webpage.

Just now I got a message that an infection has been blocked by my security system, and I only have the ATS webpage open, nothing else.

The infection that tried to make it's way into my system is named "HTML/gen" and it tried to make it's way into my computer using a security exploit through the temporary internet files.

So something is very fishy here.

XL5

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
People will reply to this and say its not ATS doing it. They are right, ATS would never do this, but the AD's they host, would. Some will also say, they never have issues on ATS, yet, they are running "noscript" and the like, ADs can be region specific AND user unique because of AD tracking software (which has become commonplace and accepted).

Just get some really good anti-virus/spyware programs. AVG, Combo fix, CCleaner and Hijack this.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Sounds like your browser cache is full.

Run CCleaner and see if that helps.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
HI OP
Don't think it is ATS but how would I know? Nah, seriously, if we see something suspicious , we should alert the mods.

Had an experience too, had clicked on a link to a thread here that happened to be about NASA. I, too, experienced the white blank page, hour glass and was bogged.

Did a little investigation and found that NASA itself was actually trying to connect to me - I was on an ATS link thread and had not been aNYwhere else.. I did not try to go to NASA. I was like WTH?

Ran my antivirus thoroughly .. and found I had the trojan SpyEyes., and my firewall had been turned OFF.
I got upset...boy did I!

Anywhoo, cleaned pc... rechecked that link to NASA on ATS and it is FINE.

My prob was MY PC.

We DO need to beef up on our security you guys...one can never be too careful.

Hope you have your prob fixed by now OP!

Suggest to keep up to date on all of your antivirus , spybot search and destroy signatures (or the like)-
& Get peerblock if you haven't already. Yeah, and a good cleanup program!
Oh and always keep an eye on your firewall It could be up one min, down the next! Yikes!
edit on 5-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
HTMLGen is not a virus. it's a python script for generating webpages on the fly, liktethe current new topics page etc.. Some browsers will block it as it's a potential backdoor, but in the way that it's most likely being used here it's not an issue.

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I am using Kaspersky which is amongst the TOP anti virus checker, never got a warning while being on ATS

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

disable cookeis,or it could be your ISP thats the problem

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

It sounds to me like you have a pop up virus. Your software is warning you that its trying to connect without your doing, but doesn't sound like its fixing the problem. The fact that it only happens on ATS is weird for sure, but doesn't mean ATS is involved. Spybot is a really good, and free program that can clean these types of problems up. Make sure you get the one that's called search and destroy, as there are fakes.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
~~~~~~~this is the most appropriate thread for this complaint~~~~~~~

Just 2 minutes ago, i hit the RECENT POSTS tab... and a residual, ghostly, shadow image of a pop-up was very faintly visible

when i clicked the Recent Posts, i got a new window to a pet food Ad...
this happened twice !

are we (meaning ATS) now using tricks to get clicks?

i would not have thought so, until i experienced this BS

to elude the involuntary pop-up & Ad in a new window... i had to direct my curser from way left to the right instead of just going up from the thread posts i was finished with

Anomaly or Tricks for Clicks

new topics

top topics

join