It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The anonymous option

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Let me preface this by saying that ATS is a close-knit community. The good folks here recognise each other. We can almost anticipate what a member is going to say. To post. To reply.

Totally different from my experience. I'm actually finding that you never know what some people are going to say.

I saw where one guy posted that this website, ATS, was run by the CIA and Freemasons. He was eventually banned. So messed up were the ideas this guy had, that when a moderator deleted the inflammatory posts, he went around saying that it was proof! He didn't understand the reasoning behind attacking the very forums that he was using to spread his ideas around.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
One of the things I appreciate about this community, is the fact that we as members do not need to share our addresses, mobile telephone numbers, or even the city from which we post. This is all the anonymity that one should require as far as I am concerned. In a world which contains ridiculous entities like facebook and others, a website based on discussion, which allows a person a measure of freedom in this manner is essential.

However, what you seem to desire is a method by which even your internet handle, even your online persona, need not be linked with a comment it has made. Now, although I understand what you are saying, I have to say that despite your personal reasons for wanting such a mechanic to be added to the site, it would damage the quality of content hugely.
Sometimes I will be tempted to post garbage, or vitriol, or make light of a serious scenario. I do not go the whole hog and do so, not because I do not want to be identified as a person with a broken sense of humour, but because the site does not need such input.

What people think of me as a presence on this site is only important to me as an indicator of wether or not a post or reply or thread I put up, has been useful or challenging to other members. I do not take it personally when something I say is taken badly, deliberately twisted against me, or any other such thing. I understand that these things are happening in a realm where no one really knows my name, what I look like , what I really enjoy in life. Despite that shroud of secrecy beneath which we all find our solace, I still make comments I would make, and keep quiet on the ones I wouldnt. The simple reason being, is that I take satisfaction from contributing usefully, rather than prattling nonsense, and endorsing illogical standpoints.

Pick a mode of thinking that applies to your psyche as a whole, rather than one which splits your true self away from your avatar here. Make yourself whole, and do it in light rather than darkness, with pride.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join