It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The anonymous option

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying that ATS is a close-knit community. The good folks here recognise each other. We can almost anticipate what a member is going to say. To post. To reply.

Which is why I'd like to suggest an anon feature. Whether it is in the form of a single scrolling comment box, an anon feature in a specific type of thread, it might provide an additional level of anonimity to a post or idea or comment.

Still keeping in the bounds of T&C of course.

My reaasoning?
There have been times in the past when I've felt compelled to answer in a certain way. When, in fact, I answered in an "acceptable" way. One that has been cultivated (by myself) throughout my small tenure here.

I have ideas on some threads where I'd like to share experiences, or ideas, but don't and have often wished I could reply to a post/thread anonymously.

Maybe it's just me. Dunno. Would like to hear from others, to see if they feel the same way.

beez

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I have ideas on some threads where I'd like to share experiences, or ideas, but don't and have often wished I could reply to a post/thread anonymously.

I have to ask why?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Isn't that a GLP option?

While I think your idea has some merit...seems that not being anonymous tends to bring some concrete to a persons post...less likely to post B.S. in other words!

We all have a way of posting that is recognized for sure...and sometimes you can anticipate what another member might say...but at the same time....you kind of count on that too!

I don't really think it is a good idea...proud posts...they are under your name...seems like it has more validity!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I have to ask why?

I thought I answered that in my OP.

But I will reiterate.

There are times when I feel compelled to answer in a certain way. How I feel vs what I think.

An anon feature might open up even some posters to more honest dialogue.

Maybe I'm off base. But that's why I'm throwing it out there.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I have to say that I am for this. I too have wanted to add something, but didn't want to say "my friend", or "someone I know".

Sometimes things are real, yet personal. I think that if this was an option, there would be a massive amount of people that would use this feature, and if ATS decided on it, it would be wise that it only be anonymous to other members and not mods, so that if the T&C was broken they know exactly who it was.

BTW, I know that this would be used, as based on some of my threads, people tend to send U2U's to be a bit more honest with a poster, instead of posting it in a thread, and fear being judged.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
There used to be a feature to post anonymously. If you weren't signed into an account you could respond to threads but it would be posted as Anonymous. This allowed anyone to post, even those without an account. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind getting rid of it, but I'm sure it had to do with how hard it would be to enforce the rules. Sure you could delete posts against the T&C, but you couldn't ever really ban those people who were constantly breaking the rules. There was also probably a spam and bot factor involved.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Isn't that a GLP option?

While I think your idea has some merit...seems that not being anonymous tends to bring some concrete to a persons post...less likely to post B.S. in other words!

We all have a way of posting that is recognized for sure...and sometimes you can anticipate what another member might say...but at the same time....you kind of count on that too!

I don't really think it is a good idea...proud posts...they are under your name...seems like it has more validity!

Never been to GLP. I think there are threads that get so heated (even while staying in T&C) that people may lose track of the topic.

An anon feature might enable many to find more common ground while protecting egos and reps at the same time.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

How I feel vs what I think.

If one can't be honest openly what's the point? There's too much out there today that we THINK we must adapt to. I've never ascribed to that. If I have an opinion on something(everything?
) I put it out there. Challenge me. Make me think. But I won't NOT post something because I think it won't be..... I'm lost on your reasoning now. You are having conflicting views in your own views? That's a good thing my friend. It means your brain is still alive and functioning. Check my siggy.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Thanks for your reply.

Good to see another agree.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

An anon feature might enable many to find more common ground while protecting egos and reps at the same time.

THAT is a problem. If one is unwilling to say something because of their ego or that someone might think differently of you, the individuals should reevaluate themselves. Truth to ones self is better than ego or reputation.
edit on 4-2-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Ah yes Mr Anonymous I remember him well

RIP

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

How I feel vs what I think.

If one can't be honest openly what's the point? There's too much out there today that we THINK we must adapt to. I've never ascribed to that. If I have an opinion on something(everything?
) I put it out there. Challenge me. Make me think. But I won't NOT post something because I think it won't be..... I'm lost on your reasoning now. You are having conflicting views in your own views? That's a good thing my friend. It means your brain is still alive and functioning. Check my siggy.

Yes, I will admit that I have been conflicted at times. Heck, there have been debates where I've come up with counter arguments that would slay me.
But the idea here is to find truth. Deny ignorance. Not to "win" a debate.

An anon feature might protect egos and provide more insight to a topic that otherwise would be left unsaid.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
We used to have an Anonymous feature (see Zorgons post) but it didnt work out well. Lots of spam.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

An anon feature might protect egos and provide more insight to a topic that otherwise would be left unsaid.

Or we can ALL "man up" and post what we feel, not what we are told. Wouldn't that make for a stronger person and a stronger membership? We KNOW what we are told to believe. Thinking for ones self is much better. Own it. A badge of intelligence and integrity imo.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Isnt everyone on here anonymous anyways?

Grant it, I may be a little more out there than most....but all the members are anonymous. If you have an opinion, be proud of it and post it regardless of what your made up virtual username is....

God knows I do....and even get flack for it often

All I see is Beezer. I dont know who you are...at all. So whatever you post, doesnt affect who YOU are in YOUR life....at all!

edit on February 4th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Or we can ALL "man up" and post what we feel, not what we are told. Wouldn't that make for a stronger person and a stronger membership? We KNOW what we are told to believe. Thinking for ones self is much better. Own it. A badge of intelligence and integrity imo.

I agree. I do try to be honest when I post and have done my fair share of mea culpas.
I don't want this to be about me though.

Just suggesting an option that may provide MORE insight.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Speaking of anonymous...here is an idea:

How about mods remain anonymous when they remove a post for T & C violations...that way I don't know who to be mad at!

No...I think it is a terrible idea...I have visited GLP...and the anonymous posting and thread starting leaves the door open for someone to post anything without consequence...not going so well over there!

I would hate to see that happen here on ATS...pride in posts is something to be admired here...anonymity brings bad news IMHO!
edit on 4-2-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Isnt everyone on here anonymous anyways?

Grant it, I may be a little more out there than most....but all the members are anonymous. If you have an opinion, be proud of it and post it regardless of what your made up virtual username is....

God knows I do....and even get flack for it often

All I see is Beezer. I dont know who you are...at all. So whatever you post, doesnt affect who YOU are in YOUR life....at all!

edit on February 4th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)
Again, agreed. But personnas grow and carry their own weight. Just thinking of options for "disclosure" even beyond the masks of avi's and user ID's.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I don't see it that way but you have brought up a decent avenue for discussion. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I don't see it that way but you have brought up a decent avenue for discussion. Thanks.

I just used me as an example. To do otherwise would have been dishonest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join