It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tibet on Fire...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I guess I hadn't realized this was going on in Tibet. Perhaps others don't realize it as well...

From today's news...

Three Tibetans self-immolate in Serthar

DHARAMSHALA, February 4: In reports coming out of Tibet, three Tibetans have self-immolated on February 3 in the undersieged town of Serthar in eastern Tibet.

A Tibetan in exile with contacts in the region told Phayul that two Tibetans survived the self-immolation but one is feared dead.

Serthar has been under an undeclared martial law with a heavy military lockdown since the January 24 mass protests. At least six Tibetans were reportedly shot dead in indiscriminate police firings on unarmed Tibetans.

Following the protests, the entire region has been cut off from the outside world with no phone or internet connections. The roads leading into the region remain blocked...

WARNING*** Graphic Video

Self-Immolations in China's Tibetan Areas Mark Shift in Tibet Movement

Since last March, at least 16 Tibetans, mostly monks and nuns, have set themselves on fire in protest of Chinese government policies.

Although initially these self-immolations were largely isolated to a Tibetan area in southwestern China, they have spread and grown in number. Between March and the end of September last year, four Tibetans set themselves on fire in protest. From October until the end of last month, another 12 followed in their footsteps. Four occurred in January alone.

Some additional headlines:

Situation Continues to Be Grim Inside Tibet: Shutdown Communications

The situation in eastern Tibet continues to remain grim following the severe clampdown enforced by the Chinese government. According to information received by Tibet Post International (TPI) on 27th January, large numbers of armed Chinese forces have been stationed across the Barma Township besieging the region and preventing the residents from stepping out.

Sources also stated that four unnamed monks from Lhawang monastery that lies three kilometers from Barma were arrested yesterday. At-least ten Tibetans reportedly shot dead and injured over one hundred in three separate incidents in eastern Tibet during the past week.

And...

Authorities Take Away Tibetans from Lhasa to Unknown Location

Hundreds of Tibetan pilgrims who were earlier arrested by the Chinese police on their way to Tibet from Nepal have been forcibly taken away in train to a undisclosed location, reports coming from Tibet say.

The report says at around 10 am (Tibet time) 31 January Chinese security forces surrounded those Tibetans at the railway station in Tibet's capital Lhasa and then put them in a train bound for China.

And...

CNN crew detained amid Chinese Tibet crackdown

Clearly a mess, with little end in sight.

Sad.

edit on 4-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
they're are trying to show the world the real China, in hopes somehow, some way we can help them.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yes, it is sad. ...and shows no sign of ending anytime soon.

What's ironic is the call for China to save the world from the Big Bad U.S., while ignoring their actions in Tibet and western regions of China...

How soon we've forgotten Tienanmen Square, and the reasons behind those protests that were crushed so horrifically.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Tibet is under Chinese rule. This brutality is what the world can expect from China. But to set one self on fire? I could never do that.
The Chinese government is no body's friend, not even the Chinese people's.

While on ATS, these are the Chinese IP’s that tried to hack into me
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The chinese gov't is responsible for cultural genocide as well as killing people for protesting in Tibet. Hmm...I wonder why the US gov't isn't "helping" the people in Tibet from their oppressors?
Oh right, both China and Britain have their eye on gold and other metals. The US won't go against their allies or a country that has them by the round things economically.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
The chinese gov't is responsible for cultural genocide as well as killing people for protesting in Tibet. Hmm...I wonder why the US gov't isn't "helping" the people in Tibet from their oppressors?
Oh right, both China and Britain have their eye on gold and other metals. The US won't go against their allies or a country that has them by the round things economically.

you bring up an important element. how many times have we (American citizens) been told by the govt, "it's for humanitarian causes, to fight against evil leaders". just so happens the US govt only seems to have morals in certain parts of the world.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

'Arab Spring is coming to China,' John McCain tells Chinese Foreign Minister

U.S. Senator John McCain warned China's Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun on Saturday that "the Arab Spring is coming to China" and highlighted the number of Tibetans burning themselves to death in his country.

Zhang, speaking with McCain on a panel at the high-level Munich security conference, dismissed his comments about a looming Chinese Arab Spring as "no more than fantasy" and condemned foreign interference in Chinese internal affairs.

McCain, who ran for president against Barack Obama in 2008, told Zhang in front of an audience of ministers, diplomats and security officials: "It is a matter of concern when Tibetans are burning themselves to death because of the continued repression of the Tibetan people in your country."

"I have said on many occasions and I will say again the Arab Spring is coming to China as well."

During the past year at least 16 Tibetans - most Buddhist monks and nuns - have self-immolated in protests seeking a return of the exiled Dalai Lama and freedom for Tibet.

A self-immolation triggered the unrest which brought down Tunisia's leader and led to copycat protests in other North African states, including Egypt, where Hosni Mubarak was ousted last February.

China has branded the immolators as terrorists and blamed Tibetan separatist forces for fomenting hatred among the people.

I guess this issue has some political attention after all...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
MORE:

China cut off internet in area of Tibetan unrest

Chinese officials cut off mobile phone and internet connections to areas where Tibetans were shot dead amid unrest last month, state media has reported.

Officials say security forces fired in self-defence after mobs of rioters attacked police and official buildings in the south-western province of Sichuan, resulting in two deaths.

Tibetan exiles and campaign groups say police fired at peaceful protesters and killed at least three people.

It has been impossible to verify accounts of the unrest. Foreign reporters attempting to visit the region have been turned back, with officials blaming bad weather and the state of the roads.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Dharamsala is one of the most beautiful places in India. The people there are a gentle race. I wish them all the best in their pursuit of protest.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

This is the sort of crap that people are worried about coming to the western countries in the near future. If you want a perfect example of oppression, innocents being labelled terrorists and greed, America, look no further than Tibet. What I want to know is how a country like India can sit back and watch this happen.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
reply to post by loam

What I want to know is how a country like India can sit back and watch this happen.

How can ANY country sit back and watch this happen ?!

Oh wait... Tibet's only exports are wool, cotton, hemp, silk, etc. No oil.
Okay, nevermind, carry on.

Fighting against the violation of human rights apparently only matters in countries that are a part of the political regime gameplay.

Tough titty for Tibet... and Darfur... and Bahrain... and Rwanda... and Cambodia... and on and on.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

They've been periodically setting themselves on fire since at least the 60s and what good has it done?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It has kept Tibet alive......This is the stuff that makes people revolt....this is the stuff that makes a people endure....
It should never have been allowed to happen, where was the UN then?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Reminds me of lyrics in a song by Jimmie Dale Gilmore.

♪ "I would have killed myself..........But it made no sense -
Committing suicide in self defense.........."

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

How soon we have forgotten 9/11, Oklahoma City and Waco...worry about your own backyard first.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Unfortunately, most Americans don't care about this as it's not happening to Christians or Jews. If rabbis were burning themselves in protest of the Israeli government, you can damn well bet Americans would take notice.

The Tibetans are dying, by the gun and by fire, and most of these are holy men and women. They are our brothers and sisters. They are bound to peace and will not fight back.

The government of China needs to have their butts put on the fire for a while if we're ever going to free Tibet.
edit on 4-2-2012 by ManjushriPrajna because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

Speak for yourself. I've forgotten none of those...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The whole world turned away and didn't watch or see a thing when the genocide of the Tibetan people occurred in 1948/49 (not sure of the exact year - the memory is going)

They have systematically killed millions of Tibetans and they also dump their Nuclear Waste up there on the roof of the world.

The people have wanted to fight back against the oppression they suffer daily ever since the Dalai Lama was forced to leave and escaped to India who have given the Tibetan people shelter ever since. However being so spiritual a person the Dalai Lama would never agree to his people fighting the Chinese - so basically they've had free reign to treat them as they wish.

Now that the Dalai Lama has stood down - we will see disruption again just like when the Chinese originally went into Tibet and blew up all the ancient temples and priceless artifacts - obliterating the people, their culture and their history.

May His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama and his long suffering People find their Peace Their Nation Has Suffered for 60 year - enough!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Whilst what is happening is wrong, terribly wrong, there is nothing the west will do about it, there is nothing the west WANT to do about it. Liberty and freedom is only allowed to nations with Oil or other valuable resources, Nothing in the ground? Well then you have no voice...

And as much as I despise the brutal crackdown by any government, do you honestly think the US government would act any differently is one of the states decided to claim independence? If say for example Texas declared its independence and stated it wanted to install its own government, perhaps a communist government, would the US crackdown be any less severe? Everyone thinks they have freedom, you only have freedom while you work inside the governments influence, try to break that and you and your rights will be trampled all over just as any other nations peoples rights would be.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
self-immolations are practiced all over the world, not just Tibet
self-immolation -> wishful thinking, "my death will change something", yet what stopped you from acting while alive (afraid of consequences?)

Dalai Lama is a saint?
that is probably the reason why he had so many other heartful friends:
Heinrich Harrer (nazi death squad leader)
Dr. Bruno Berger (ss officer)
Shoko Asahara (Aum Shinrikyo)
Miguel Serrano

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join