It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Heartless Man - You Don't Really Need A Heart or A Pulse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Not sure if I missed it, but there is a reason why we have a heart. It's connected to the body. As in, if we exert ourselves, it pumps harder. If we relax, it softens.

Unless this guy is running at 110% all the time, as soon as he goes for a brisk walk, he will suffer lack of oxygen to his organs.

And if he tries to sleep, he'll instead be submitted to feeling like he just worked out.

The heart is regulated. This is a machine that produces one state of being.

Not sure I'd want that...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Fopicon

This is just insane. This is the beginning of the cyborg...a mechanical heart that doesn't require a beat.
edit on CSaturdayam555544f44America/Chicago04 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ive given this alot of thought, and ive decided im completely against Cybernetic Enhancements, now grantet this is neither cybernetic in nature or an "Enhancement" so to speak, as he didn't to it to enhance himself to to survive (I guess he was enhancing his life expectancy, but that's a different discussion).

My main problem with it is, that it has been proven that there a neurons in the heart and even guts of a human body, so what happens when you start taking these part and replacing them with cold inanimate limbs?

We are a spiritual creature, and our body is as much part of you as your soul, in this lifetime, replacing it, and "Enhancing" it, beyond natures design, i see no future in.

How about the natural Electro Magnetic Field around people, created by the heart beating? the field that some would call the aura of people. This man would have no such field, and when you start implanting other mechanical parts in your body, it would also disrupt the field.

I know this may sound like someone stuck in the old way, and afraid to "embrace" the future, however i cannot stop thinking about the Asgard in Stargate SG1, who after a few thousand years, were becoming extinct as they choice technology over biology ans started prolonging their lives and eventually cloning themselves to extinction (they lost the ability to reproduce sexually and their DNA got degraded each time they cloned themselves).

Nature made us as we are, beautiful and full, no structure in the observable macro verse (space) or micro verse is random, or incomplete , why would it be on out level ? I will opt no to cybernetics and other " Enhancements ", remember how angry you all are about the potential of mass distribution of RFID chips, this would be no different.

Sorry about the rant, this one has been brewing in my mind for a while.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Fopicon

6 million dollar man! they made this sound sooo easy and simple...actually it's pretty unbelievable,hope he lives a long life.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

pretty weird looking, if you saw this thing laying on a table you would never guess it was an artificial heart

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Fopicon

i thought this was about cheney at first...

this guy is way cooler and more deserving of this tech.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
I don't think it's the same technology as Darth Cheney's heart pump. Yet, this is an amazing feat ! One small step for mankind, a giant leap for immortality.

S&F !!

yes hopefully in our lifetime

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
so all their machines say hes dead but hes not

makes u wonder

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

Somehow I knew someone like you would come along and throw a "spiritial monkey wrench" into the whole thing and ruin it for everybody.

Seriously though, you do have a point. Regardless that's it's loosely based on a science fiction plot, it is a valid point. The first thing I thought of after seeing the link and reading up on it was "Here we go, playing God again." And then you came along and clarified everything for me.

It also raises the question, for me at least, is why are we making all these inventions that prolong our life when we're all going to die anyway. Sure, it may prolong your life, but are you going to have a better quality of life than you had living the way nature made you? Doubtful. I find it hard to believe that man can make anything better than nature can. We can't even make water out of scratch for petes sake, but we pat oursleves on the back when we make an artificial heart. It makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think we should focus on improving the quality of life before we focus on prolonging it. But since there's no money in THAT, it will propbably never happen. I'd rather live a short, quality life than a long one that is sub-standard. Here's a great example:

www.cbsnews.com...

What this story doesn't say is why he did it. He had a disease that would have been physically debilitating for years. Instead of letting his family suffer through years of slowly watching him waste away and die, and racking up medical bills in the process, he chose to let them off that hook and took his life in his own hands.

Some people say he took the cowards way out. I say it was the ultimate act of love. If I ever find myself, God forbid, in the situation that he did.....that's how it's going down.

Sorry, no artificial heart or machines for me. If that's what pleases other people, fine. But not me.

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I might have missed this but was
wondering if the mechanical heart
is temporary until he can get a
heart transplant? I think that
is what most artifical hearts in
the past were intended for.

Also can he live a normal life
span? I am surpirsed the first
try was on a older gentleman.
I have to say he doesn't look
to well but that is probably due
to the disease he had.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if he feels any different. Seems like the pump continuiously circulates the blood. I saw a artifical heart at the franklyn institute, and the pump appeared to be a screw, that would push the blood through.

S+F for you mr. first time poster! simple and to the point. Thanks!!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Not sure if I missed it, but there is a reason why we have a heart. It's connected to the body. As in, if we exert ourselves, it pumps harder. If we relax, it softens.

Unless this guy is running at 110% all the time, as soon as he goes for a brisk walk, he will suffer lack of oxygen to his organs.

And if he tries to sleep, he'll instead be submitted to feeling like he just worked out.

The heart is regulated. This is a machine that produces one state of being.

Not sure I'd want that...

The version 2.0 will involve installing a high medium low voltage switchgear. I heard it's coming out in a couple months.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Fopicon

ETA: I gotta add this because a lot of people have commented while i was researching. This article is very MISLEADING. Please read on to find out why......

Welcome to ATS!

This is in no way a strike against ya, because your linked article is recent....but the story is NOT!! I did some searching and found some better info on this. First, here is the original article from the Texas Heart Institute that gives the complete story. It is from March of last year:

Texas Heart Institute

Second...here is a follow-up article from June of last year. The patient later died from his other illnesses. Also, this device is a long ways off (still) from being a replacement to heart transplants. It is externally powered AND controlled....it needs a console to run it!

June 2011 follow-up article

"It is a good life-saving pump, but the limitation of it is that it is externally powered and externally driven, and it requires a large console," said Frazier. "So, if we are really going to impact the premature death from heart failure, we have to have a pump that is implantable and can replace the heart."

So while it is a milestone....it is still a long ways away from being used except in very extreme cases where the person is waiting for a transplant.

edit on 4-2-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
reply to post by strafgod

Yes, I knew about Chenny too, appearently he has an ambulance following him at every step. i guess the survival record with such heart was under a year,it is used as a temp solution while searching for a bio-donor

Uhm, I'm an organ donor, upon my death, of course. Is there some kind of form that I could fill out stating that my heart could go to anyone BUT Dick Cheney?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I would so love to be this man.

I'd go around to doctors, nurses and hot chicks saying I'm not feeling too well after that funny looking Kid bit me and ask them to check my heart. pulse etc... After they found no pulse I'd tell em how hungry I was and that they are starting to look like a steak dinner.

Halloween would be my new favorite holiday.

Can you say Real Zombie?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I wonder how much it improves circulation. Very good find!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Fopicon

Sweet, so if he was ever in a situation where somebody trying to kill him wanted to make sure by checking his pulse, he could just lay real still, and they'd think he was dead

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Or, he could be buried alive in his sleep..............
2nd

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
Hasnt dick cheney (former u.s. vice president) had something like this for a while now?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. I know he at least had something like that for a while to keep his blood pumping. For a while he had no heart beat. Not sure if he is still like that or not.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
EPIC first post! I have no other words than wow.

Never thought I'd see the day when something like this would be possible.

SnF

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join