It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Ray and HD Movies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I haven't been up to date with the latest movie watching gadgets, but recently caught a couple movies on Blue Ray, my reaction was... well...

I found it was terrible. Terrible that the quality was so good, it looked so real, that it was too real. The reason I say that is because it looked more like someone pretending or trying to act like they were in real life. Almost like a behind the scenes shot.

The actors that I have known over the years, are terribly ugly in high definition, and a few of them don't look any different than the guy taking my money at the gas station.

Seeing the gas station attendant acting as an international secret agent would just not be that convincing...

Sooo,,,

I'm curious if others notice the same thing. And, do you think Hollywood will look for different types of people once HD becomes wide spread?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I completely agree, when I watch Blu-Ray it either seems like people are pretending to act or, if the scene is one where there is a lot of talking, it seems like I'm just watching people talk from the other side of the room, and it gets kind of boring.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

It could be that Hollywood movies are just crap. I thought about this too, as there are a number of foreign films that look like they are shot with handycams, but are quality films...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
most stuff these days is filmed at HD quality to start with so they will be picking the best looking actors for the job anyway but the main thing that HD did do when it first came out was pick up all the bad makeup jobs that you could get away with on SD screens which was quite funny

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I haven't been up to date with the latest movie watching gadgets, but recently caught a couple movies on Blue Ray, my reaction was... well...

I found it was terrible. Terrible that the quality was so good, it looked so real, that it was too real. The reason I say that is because it looked more like someone pretending or trying to act like they were in real life. Almost like a behind the scenes shot.

The actors that I have known over the years, are terribly ugly in high definition, and a few of them don't look any different than the guy taking my money at the gas station.

Seeing the gas station attendant acting as an international secret agent would just not be that convincing...

Sooo,,,

I'm curious if others notice the same thing. And, do you think Hollywood will look for different types of people once HD becomes wide spread?

Hah. Yeah I remember when I watched the first couple of movies on Blueray. The cars were driving so smoothly, everything looked so real that it was kinda ruining the experience.

But now I honestly prefer Blueray. I think it looks amazing. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Boncho I still use VHS lol

I dont care for HD or Bluray, number is the cost! I just want to watch a movie, I don't need them to be crystal clear and agree it does give it that "fake" feel when it's that clear in quality. I was never into surround sound or anything home entertainment wise. The only electronic I use daily is my laptop, I love my computer! I would rather spend all my money on internet connection, laptops and setting up my computer to stream to my TV vs using HD and all the other fancy electronic accessories they have today.

My fiancee LOVES his Bluray. I just laugh and let him know that for what he pays for one I get 15movies at the thrift store lol
Im very thrifty with my shopping and I just can't spend that much money on ONE movie!

Now I do like the extra features on Bluray but there are only like 2 movies I'd like to have but those my fiancee likes so he might have them. If my show, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, came out on Bluray I would probably want it but just for the extras. I really dont think Buffy would look good in HD!

Now shows I don't mind in HD are ones on nature and the Earth. Those are the only time I see HD being good to watch.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

We never realized how crappy it really is because they have always played on the distortion factors of our tele's, counting on what they know to be TVs shortcomings.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
dvds/ blurays are just another thing to consume something to replace vhs and eventually something will replace blu rays. it's all about consumption, we've already made it so you might as well buy it. the same goes for video games and software for windows or apple, mobile phones as well also now seen to be almost disposable as soon as a new model comes out. i still have a video recorder but it sits gathering dust in my attic now i either download or watch dvds and more and more it is becoming a case of download. but yeah actors have gotten worse and worse and a clearer image of those actors just makes it more obvious how crap at acting they are. i don't think anyone would wanna see adam sandler pretending to be his twin sister in HD? seriously how does that make any film better?
edit on 3/2/2012 by josephamccoy because: added more

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

LOL! Well there is that. I've had large high def TVs for many years now, but I remember back when I first set one up and started getting HD cable broadcasts and playing BD (Bluray disks) through it that two things really jumped out at me right away- 1)Laurence Fishburne has an absolutely horrible complexion and in the Matrix series you can see every little bump and pit in his face and 2)the people on Survivor have all kinds of bug bites/ scratches/ etc. that you don't notice if not watching in HD
But other than noticing complexion issues, I've never looked back since going to HD. It is far superior in every way to SD. The detail on a good HD setup is extremely crisp and detailed, and coupled with proper setup and a good surround system the experience far exceeds the theatrical experience. About a year ago I upgraded my set to an even larger 3D HD setup and wow, it's really astonishing. Some people don't care for 3D movies, but for those that enjoy 3D theatrical releases some of the current crop of 3DTVs are excellent and the 3D experience is at least as good as if not better than the theater. I play 3DBDs through my PS3 and it does an excellent job. There are some really good 3D video games out too, Drake's Deception and Batman: Arkham City are two that I've recently played and that looked really good. I just wish I didn't have to go to work every day, I would sit in front of that TV watching movies and playing games 24/7 if I could

edit on 3-2-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Never seen anything in blu ray and don't desire to purchase any but if it's a fad like the 3D phase part 5 or however many times we've been convinced to watch in that medium since cinema began then no thanks.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Blu Ray Disk and HD Movies can give 3D Special Effects.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by matrichuploader
Blu Ray Disk and HD Movies can give 3D Special Effects.

Thing is, like I posted here last April, I went to see Thor in 3D and after later seeing it in 2D on my regular tv screen, I don't see the difference.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by josephamccoy
i don't think anyone would wanna see adam sandler pretending to be his twin sister in HD?

I dont think anyone wants to see that in standard definition either.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NoNameBrand

agreed unfortunatley it still got to No 2 in the box office, makes me kinda sad.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by josephamccoy
reply to post by NoNameBrand

agreed unfortunatley it still got to No 2 in the box office, makes me kinda sad.

Makes me sad too.

The only movies I think he's funny in are Airheads and You Don't Mess With The Zohan, everything else he's done has been horrendous.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This sounds like you have your tv refresh" rate set too high, which gives High definition films that "too real" look.
When Blu Ray first started getting big, I would see what you're talking about in stores like Best Buy.....the films on display (Pirates of the Caribbean/Spider Man3/etc) all looked...weird. Almost as if they were "too smooth". Because of this, I avoided Blu Ray for the longest time.

You should look up how to see/change the refresh rate of your TV, and if it isn't, make sure it's set to 60Hz. This will make a world of difference, take away that weird "too smooth/un-movie-like" look, and you get to enjoy HD as it was meant to be!

Trust me...a solid film in 1080p can be better than the theaters! :B

edit: just realized this thread is pretty old.

edit on 1-3-2012 by Onix Verumi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Onix Verumi

I am still checking the thread though, so no worries.

How exactly do you change the refresh rate, and isn't a higher refresh rate a big seller for tvs?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm not too tech savvy...I think changing the refresh rate varies from brand to brand, so I'd say try googling it first. (I've never had to change it myself, so i dunno what the process is exactly.)

I don't think that refresg rates are much of a selling point, or if they are it's a case of the companies trying to get you to shell out more for something that you don't really need. :/

Okay i googled around a bit, it appears i was slighty off, and that it's a feature called "AMP" that you have to turn off. This thread seems to be pretty informative, hopefully it helps out!
www.avsforum.com...

new topics

top topics

join