It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ONLY Read this if your were born in the 40's 50's or 60's

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

I had to star your post just simply for the mention of the great BOB SEGER !

Bob Seger
Joe Cocker
Deep Purple
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
Eagles
AC/DC
Van Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Crosby Stills & Nash
ZZ Top
Black Sabbath
Cream
Steppenwolf
Rainbow
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Fleetwood Mac
Kansas
Uriah Heep
Three Dog Night

... just to name a few

Legendary music is legendary music.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Born in '79 here but many of these relate because I was the "oops" child!

I drank for a water hose and it was the best water a kid could have while taking a break from tag, hide-n-go-seek or just hanging out on a warm Summer day.

We made pea-shooters, water-balloon launchers and other "weapons" and lived to tell the tales.

I fought with my best friend and broke his nose. The next day I was over at his house having dinner with him and his family.

We sneaked out late at night to do nefarious and mischievous things and lived.

I only need to be introduced to the belt once...and only once. I will never spray water into the television set that looks like a piece of furniture again.

I feared my father; not because he beat me, but because I respected him. Today he is one of my closest friends and I thank him for my discipline and love.

ETA: Hat tip to MrWendal

Originally posted by MrWendal
Anyone else remember when we were outside playing, if we got thirsty we just went into anyone's yard and took a drink from the garden hose?

edit on 3-2-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

ever seen one?? or the 10,000 mil play set. you got ships, troops, tanks, and all for 3 back pages and 2.00$

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well I wasn't born until 1979, so I hope it's OK that I read this!

Thanks for the memories! Not all of them I share ..... but many of them I do!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Concerts. I saw Elvis in 75' & then KISS in 79'.
Also, some TV stations stayed on all night on weekends & played horror/sci fi movies until the sun came up
instead of Cindy Crawford's skin secrets.

And my mother & father voted for Nixon!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

the only ones I can ad to you list all time greats is the Cars and Neil Young, Peter Frampton, and RUSH other are a given the Beatles; let it be, white album and SPLHC, if you do not know that one well then

edit on 3-2-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I remeber licking the frozen cream off the tops of the milk bottles when it froze and the cream om top stood taller than the bottle top with the carboard stopper on top.....
I remeber going fishing on our bikes and being gone the whole day without any worries on moms part.....
We werent allowed in the house after school till supper time....(only to change and grab a snack then out we went!)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This is also the generation that could've changed everything in the 60s and 70s, but got too tripped out on '___' instead. Just kidding, you guys are the generation that gave birth to the doomed generation.
edit on 3-2-2012 by dadank because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
When I was a kid, you only had a lift to school if you were disabled or had had a dentist appointment, everyone walked, rain or shine.

You could get 20 sweets for 10p.

Icecream and hotdogs watching Star Wars in the Cinema was a MASSIVE treat.

And, we had vinyl, and to this day, NO-ONE can convince me that CDs sound better.

And the threat of the headmasters slipper, well, enough said, oldies will understand

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
-The Manson family

-America had concentration camps for Japanese citizens

-we nuked 140,000 Japanese civilians in two cities

-racism was rampant and interracial marriages scorned, also being gay/lesbian/black was grounds for being shunned and beaten

-to get detailed information you'd have to slog through volumes of outdated garbage in a library

-people were just as rude and impolite, music and television just as bad, and politicians just as corrupt, but now we can all look back fondly on it with something called "selective memory"

-Drinking and driving was just sort of a bad idea so if it happened, you know...whatever

-The wars were just as unfounded and absurd to be fighting

-Cigarettes aren't THAT bad for you!

-Asbestos - sure!

-Civil rights?

The world was a SERIOUSLY messed up place and here's the kicker - it still is. You know, selective memory can only get you so far. People today are not different, though the technology they use may be. Kids DO play outside, I spent much of my young life running around with neighborhood kids doing stupid things, trying to kiss girls, smoking a cigarette in the woods in 6th grade and not liking it, etc. etc.

And FYI just because Facebook exists does not mean we all HAVE to be on it. I'm not because when it was created I was entering my first year of college and shortly thereafter everyone's older relatives started using it. I don't have it now because too many people born in the 40s 50s and 60s are on it!

edit on 3-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I use to ( and sometimes still do ) leave my house and play all day. I'd meet up with friends on my bike, go to the fish hatchery, build forts, go fishing, and go hiking.

And guess what!

I was born in the 90's!

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Great thread though.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Love your reply.

It's exactly what i was thinking.

Although the OP does have a point with all the new technology that keeps kids indoors more often.

But i just don't like the whole "our generation was better" attitude.

I mean we're all suppose to be in this together.

great reply!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I thought this was going to be a warning to all of the people that age to not watch the main stream media, for it will hypnotize the elderly into thinking things arent true.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
OH...BUT.

The music was better back then.

The main stream music these days is utter crap.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You never fail to deliver.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
OH...BUT.

Lol alright I'm a HUGE fan of older rock and roll, specifically the 60's - blues, rock, psyechedelic, etc.

But anyone who doesn't like today's music shouldn't complain, they should grab a guitar and do something about it. Sure you'll always have your Katy Perrys (people survived disco, didn't they?) But you'll also always have your Black Keys, your Radiohead etc. etc.

Gotta remember that a lot of old people saw the Beatles and felt like there'd never be good music again because of those damn long-hairs! Now those same "long-hairs" have taken their place as the curmudgeons complaining about music and society circling the drain
edit on 3-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
OH...BUT.

Oh man, your so right there

I was born in 71 and I grew up on Ronnie James Dio,
check out ELF on itunes, GOLD

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
This thread is stupid. Nostalgia is stupid. I was born in the 90's and I played outside after I got off school. I could make a whole "OMG 90S KID NOSTALGIA THREAD" but it would be dumb. Everyone thinks their generation is special... Guess what, you're not.

Who cares if boys pierce their ears?

And who cares what people name their kids?

Who hasn't shared drinks with their friends?

What kid hasn't rode their bike to their friends house?

Last time I checked I had freedom, failure, success and responsibility~!~ AND DEALT WITH IT ALL OMGZ!~

Why in the world would you eat mud? Have fun with parasites......

edit on 2/3/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1

We ate cupcakes,

Except in the UK until the past few years these were called 'queen cakes' or 'fairy cakes'. Maybe we needed something more politically correct

There were only 3 channels on (black and white) TV at first. Indeed in the early 50s you had to be quite well off to even afford a TV.
You had to use a telephone box for outside calls and when the first mobiles came in, they were as big as house bricks.
Again in the 50s, we didn't have a fridge or central heating.
BTW I don't think this thread is stupid. Younger people need to know how it was just a few years ago. Younger people need to understand that the sky won't fall in if they don't have these things.

To the poster above me why don't you go play in a different thread? Did you even read the title? Sheesh...
edit on 3-2-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I was still in diapers sitting in a play pen in the middle of the living room while my mother stood and watched in horror as Walter Cronkite announced that JFK had just been shot.

I had no idea, at that time, that Janis, Jimi, John Paul, George and Ringo existed. Had no idea who Bob Dylan was, and certainly not the Rolling Stones, and while my parents may have known who these guys were, they were still more concerned with what Frank, Dean, and Sammy were doing, and maybe to some degree, Elvis.

My father with his Buddy Holly glasses, and my mother with her Jackie Kennedy hairdo, political turmoil, wars, protests, and love-ins were not their thing and certainly not mine. I was more concerned with eating Quaker Oats oatmeal, mainly because that Quaker Oats guy for some reason reminded me of Captain Kangaroo, but of course, I really wanted Coco Puffs because Just like Sonny the Cuckoo, I was "cuckoo for Coco Puffs".

I must have begged for an endless amount of Christmases for a GI-Joe, and can still feel the sting of betrayal when one Christmas my sister gets her first Barbie, me still without any GI-Joe. I suppose my mother was probably more aware of the war protest movement at that time than I could reasonably understand. Whatever. It was only a matter of time before I outgrew the need for silly dolls, even if they were kick-ass GI-Joe's and started asking for Hot Wheels, and for an endless amount of new Christmases I begged and begged for Hot Wheels.

Be careful what you wish for because you will surely get it. One Christmas, I finally got my Hot Wheels track. I had bought my mother a Redbook magazine for Christmas that year, my father an Automotive Mechanics magazine, and bought my brother a Slinky and my sister some Silly Putty. I opened my Hot Wheels and for months after lived in self contented joy. Prior to the Hot Wheels and the cool orange plastic tracks that snapped together to make an oval race track, my mother, whenever I drove her to the point of insanity, used her hair brush to smack my little ass. These weren't the Jay Sebring hair brushes that would come later. The brush my mother was using was far more harsh and cold hearted than the kinder gentler brushes of Sebring. Then my mother discovered the pure simplicity of the Hot Wheel track, and who couldn't appreciate the whiplash sting of those bright orange tracks that would draw a welt but leave no bruises? Thank God for the Whirlybird. My mother wouldn't even have dared smack me on the ass with that.

By the '70's I am really growing up, and while I still eat prefer cold cereal for breakfast, I really prefer Life Cereal, and not just because Mikey liked it, but because I liked it. Captain Kangaroo was no longer my thing, but I had a soft spot for H.R. Puffenstuff, and the Banana Splits and loved to go running around the house screaming "Uh-Oh Chongo!", and wishing that when I grow up that I could be cool like Jan Micheal Vincent. I really loved those animated super heroes shows, like the Fantastic Four, and Super Friends.

During the Sixties, I really didn't much care for Disney. Bambi had scared the crap out of me, and Fantasia had its really creepy moments, and I just didn't get these "children" shows, but by the Seventies Disney was putting out what I felt were far friendlier films like Flubber, Son of Flubber, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, and The World's Greatest Athlete with Jan Micheal Vincent. My brother, my friends and I would collect our milk cartons and redeem them at the local movie theater on Saturday afternoons to get in for free to watch these movies.

Concessions at movie theaters were always absurdly priced for as far back as I can remember, and while we may have been kids we were no fools. So, we would hike up to Montgomery Ward - "Monkey Ward" - to each purchase a can of Shasta cola and a small bag of Doritos for the genuine value of just one quarter, sometimes splurging another quarter for Milk Duds or Reeces Peanut Butter Cups. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad! Best Saturday milk carton movie ever!

Somewhere in the middle of these '70's was when I first heard The Rolling Stones I Can't Get No Satisfaction and Oh My God! It's not like at that very moment all the innocence of a child running towards the brink of precipice totally oblivious of the dark abyss that awaited vanished, and yet, somehow that was the moment that H.R. Puffenstuff was for little children, the Monkees were clearly posers, and even if I still couldn't find the will to walk away from Sesame Street whenever I was stupid enough to watch it - I still can't to this day, I swear I will turn it off, or change the channel after the next skit, and then there I am still watching up until the end - it is not like I would ever admit that then. I was too cool. Too cool for Spiderman and Batman. Too cool for The Hulk lunch boxes, and pretty damn cool for discovering The Boss long before he put out Dancing in the Dark.

I remember.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join