It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants 'must add to quality of life in Britain'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If you don't have a job then you aren't successful in the terms being discussed here. You are educated but you are not successful, hence you are in dire straits. It's unlikely you'd have the income requirements to immigrate under this guys vision in such a setup.
edit on 2-2-2012 by antonia because: rawr

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
what the problem, the £26,000-a-year!!!!! cap on benefits will be sufficant earning to stay in the country.

but seriously, this is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
We should not be allowing anymore immigrants into the country due to the fact that the country is full and the agenda behind immigration is a dark one.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's our right because this is a planet. This is out there in space, spinning around a star and we have plants and stuff like water and rocks and all sorts of other creatures that live here freely with us. We are the only creatures that have to ask permission to move around on OUR PLANET. How hard is that to understand?

Both the UK and the US are empiricist nations and the latter nation was built on immigration. Do you realize that? Do you realize that you would not be there either if there were no immigration? Your family probably went there to find a better life. But now, you say, this place is full so now we aren't taking any more of our kind in so too bad and piss off now mind the door on the way out! How nice. Was good for you though, wasn't it? It was fine as long as you saw your family's dreams have a chance. Nope, we can't have anymore of that though.

Finland doesn't let people immigrate for just any reason either, unless you're an EU citizen already. Even if you as a foreigner marry a Finn, they can keep you out. There are probably hundreds of couples living virtually because of this policy. Finnish woman marries Turkish/Algerian/Morrocan/Egyptian/American/Russian man but ain't that too bad for them! The authorities here are as cold-blooded as they come. It's sick and it will stop, but Finns are very passive and stoic. They wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Immigrants 'must add to quality of life in Britain'

www.bbc.co.uk

Britain does not need more "middle managers" or unskilled labour and those who settle could have to command a salary of more than £31,000.

Ahead of his speech, Mr Green told BBC Radio Kent he wanted "to be much more intelligently selective about who we let come here", and that anyone individual seeking permanent settlement should be able to command a salary of between £31,000 and £49,000.

Chief executive Habib Rahman said: "One might argue that this government has it in for poor people who fall in love with anyone who's not resident in the UK."
(visit the link for the full news article)

add to quality of life?

that must mean beer,booze,binge drinking,drug taking,promiscuity,one night stands,random stabbing of strangers and wearing hoodies.

link   
reply to post by antonia

Another thing is the education itself..

I know someone who worked in law in their own country.. a good, high paid job, but here in the UK they cannot even step anywhere near anything to do with the law as they are not qualified and all the laws are different..

So they currently earn minimum wage.

I know someone else who spent a lot of money and time to get educated and certified to teach English in France..
Once they moved there and tried to get a job,k they couldn't.. the reason?

The qualifications were not recognised by France, even though the qualifications came from a English university.

go figure..

link   

Originally posted by Extralien
This is discrimination....

Yeah... how dare a country discriminate who it lets settle on its land - what a preposterous idea!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

This has nothing to do with discrimination and YES,we can control who lives by OUR standards because it's OUR country.Just remember that these immigrants have NO right to be here anyway.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

My problem with the whole money issue is this (and I speak as an English guy who was homeless at the time he moved to Holland to find "a better life")

I came to here in the early nineties. Me and my Dad shared a bedroom of a flat of an English guy we knew and had already moved here. It was that single fact that helped us. Within 2 weeks we both had work and within a month or two were able to find our own flat and give our friend his bedroom back. We came here as unskilled people and we couldn't speak the language. We got production factory work where language is not that important.

Then we moved jobs and got a permanent contract, better wages, etc. If someone back then had said you need to earn at least 30 grand a year...well, you could probably kick out half the (native) country. To be clear, you can't just go live in Holland and claim benefits. You have zero rights until having worked at least 6 months continuously.

20 years later, I can't even find a factory job, never mind my system-administration work that used to be my job after having taught myself a profession here. I don't think immigration is really an answer to a country's shortage of workers, but neither do I think it is the problem. The problem is really with an unfair job market that likes to pay as little as possible. IMHO

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well yes ofc, i was thinking inside the box. Outside the box we need to change how the government is run completely, but for the sake of keeping it on subject i was thinking "if our government was great!"

We dont want more people here, were We've alread been too polite and taken too much on board. With being in teh EU loads of people have been taking the piss and taken it as a free pass to England. Im sorry but its just not fair on those of us who pay the Government $80 a week for taxes PLUS!. Then you get these people who can do nothing and get hand outs from the same Government. thats not right.

Thats why its got my vote. Work or get out. If you've got great qualifications from other countries, great! it'll be easier for you to pass Enlgish standards tests then you can have a proper job. In 5 Years you can do this.

Work the crap job, night school your chosen Carrer then steal the better jobs. problem solved.

(Yes it is unfair that people who are already doctors [for instance] have to resit tests, thats just how it works, stop crying and get on with it!)

If they REALLY wanted to live in England they can make it work. Its just stopping the over flow pouring into England.
edit on 12/21/2011 by Kriltosthe2nd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Which is why I disagree with his whole wealth gap idea in the first place. But being educated, there's an easy equation you can do to figure out how much money you'd make if you were employed.

And most of these professionals are in high demand in most European and Western countries. It's really not hard to get a job out there if you are specialized.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

They do have a right if they were given a visa to come here to marry a UK citizen, or were married to a UK citizen in any other country.. That's the thing you kinda missed in your little message about immigrants..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Again, what if you don't want to do that with your life? What if you want to do other stuff. Humble stuff. What if you're not a book-learner? What if you can't sit in a classroom? Why must everyone conform and fit the one single mold to live a dream?

This is not the way forward. It's a recipe for disaster.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

While I think that this is a good idea IN THEORY, I was under the impression that Britain is in the same boat as Canada and the US when it comes to highly educated immigrants. In that the education does not necessarily translate over once the immigrant has moved. I think that if they were going to put this kind of action into play (knowing that they would be off the hook in regards to supporting both ailing and undertrained/uneducated immigrants) they would first have to put a program to have those educations translated over to something that functions into play as well.

However, what would function better would be a quota system. Do we have jobs available for anyone? Yes/No? If yes, in what fields and at what level? Are there citizens available to fill those positions? Yes? The quota is full, no immigrants at that level. No? Accepting applications. They should put the citizens' needs ahead of the future citizens' in order to decrease the strain on the social systems in place to protect those who are not having their needs met. That plus an equivalencey program to ensure those who do move to their new country are capable of working in the field they were trained in would be logical.

In a perfect world

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

Qualifications wont stand for anything. England and other Countries like to have their own standards.
Its wrong, but still thats how its done. for example, being an Electrician if i wanted to use my trade in America had have to retrain simply because the voltage system is different, they use dual wires instead of our 3 core, etc.

The world should have ONE education Body which trains everyone in the same arts and crafts. (not a NWO education)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
"[M]ust add to quality of life" is one of those hysteria-inducing trigger phrases to heighten a sense of societal decay.

It then becomes much easier to convince people to willingly part with their liberties.
edit on 2/2/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Again, what if you don't want to do that with your life? What if you want to do other stuff. Humble stuff. What if you're not a book-learner? What if you can't sit in a classroom? Why must everyone conform and fit the one single mold to live a dream?

This is not the way forward. It's a recipe for disaster.

Nobody is forcing you to immigrate to another country. Nor are all countries making these requirements law. This is just the case with the UK.

If you want to live in a different place, then you must be ready to meet the requirements that place has deemed necessary and vital to their socio-economic needs.

It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

There are other ways of showing that you are capable of supporting yourself. There many many ways to make money in this world that do not include getting going to school and getting a degree.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kriltosthe2nd

I agree whole-heartedly, it would be wiser - but would you be completely useless when it comes retraining? Would it take you as long to learn the different system as it would the novice? (If I sound like a dick, excuse me - I don't know a thing about electrical - its an earnest question) I feel like it would take you far less time to learn the different system, and that maybe time apprenticing to pick up the new system as opposed to months in school could be a viable option. If we were in need of electricians, I'm sure a company would be willing to take the time to teach someone a new system of voltage if it came with a tax benefit or something along those lines? Maybe I'm just being hopeful that there could be a more functional system than the one currently in place.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's our right because this is a planet. This is out there in space, spinning around a star and we have plants and stuff like water and rocks and all sorts of other creatures that live here freely with us. We are the only creatures that have to ask permission to move around on OUR PLANET. How hard is that to understand?

Wow... I don't know quite how to start with that sense of overwhelming entitlement to what others have worked, bled and died to build for THEIR OWN citizens.

I'd suggest, perhaps, that people focus on reform in their own lands before transplanting their problems to new ones like the U.S. or Britian, but I'm not sure there is a line of logic that will make any impression at all when some folks simply insist that everything is their right. Everything others own, build, work for or die for is there for the taking..because it's there to take.

I'll just say this is the mindset such a large % of the population in Western nations have come to hate...and hate with a near VIOLENT level of passion. I'm not sure the 'near' will remain that for much longer, in some cases. Really, if you're on the side of owning the house, how long can YOU tolerate other people kicking down your doors and squatting in your living room because the squatters say it's their Birth Right and you have NO RIGHT to your own home?

A nation is a home as much as the one you live in there. It's a home for a citizenry, not an individual, but it's damn sure still a home with doors, locks and security. Those who would kick those doors down and stomp right in ought to be treated like the criminal trespassers they most definitely ARE, regardless of what nation they come FROM or are forcing their way INTO.

I'd feel the same way if Americans were busting into Canada or Mexico and telling those nations to just suck it up and deal with it because it's OUR RIGHT to just barge on it and live where we please.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It is just common sense to filter immigrants, just like you wont let anyone into your house, much less to live with you permanently. Unfiltered mass immigration can do many damages to the quality of life in a country.

We have similar laws planned here in Slovakia - people started to demand them after seeing the negatives of unfiltered mass immigration in Western Europe / Scandinavia. Its not sustainable to let immigrants who will just increase unemployment, social system strain and criminality in.

edit on 2/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join