It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Swarm of Nano Quadrotors:(the future of Flying/Fighting/Survival is about to change)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Experiments performed with a team of nano quadrotors at the GRASP Lab, University of Pennsylvania. Vehicles developed by KMel Robotics. Special thanks to Professor Daniel Lee for his support.

I don't even know what to say.

TERMINATOR is coming...... someday. We will end up killing ourselves. Give these little puppies some brains of it's own (AI) and watch the hell out.

Fighting will be taken to a whole new level. Just wait till they make them Attack Aircraft/Bomber sizes!

The Figure 8 blew my mind.

Oh, and for the Survival aspect. It will dramactically change/lower survival rates of troops and equipment.
edit on 2/2/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
is it right calling this Nano? i thought nano stuff was microscopic, they are just toy helicopters with some smart programming. im not knocking it, that vid was awesome, just wondering

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Welcome to the Umbrella Corporation, where we are currently developing autonomous, agile flying robots that in 15 years will be able to hunt free-thinkers and eliminate them, while the government sits around and contemplates how to turn them into space-faring machines that will conquer other worlds in the name of Earth.

Yes, that IS where this is going.

edit on CThursdayam565641f41America/Chicago02 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Whoever the people are involved with inventing that, will be multi billionaires if that gets weaponized.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

instead of fearing how TCOTBIP will use this tech against you

think instead of how you can use this tech against them

think 3d printers printing them out by the thousands

very sharp rotors TECNO-NINJA-STARS

explodo?

no more bullying by authorities when your personal swarm
is there to take care of any threats to your safety

take em with you to protests for documentary purposes SHTF and you know what to do

don't forget redundancies and such:

like vocal commands, infrared laser receivers/transmitters or even whistles if all radio in the area is being jammed

imagine if those flying men in NYC had been suicide bombers

stop being afraid of these things and learn how to use them yourself instead

Knowledge is Power
don't complain if you chose to remain ignorant

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I was going to ask can they fly in formation to spell out "DIE HUMANS!" ?

Fun little toys until the military and police start using them.

"they would never use the internet to spy on us" either.

Why am I thinking shotguns are the solution?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Yep, imagine a B2 Spirit dropping say fifty thousand of these at a thousand feet.
They all activate and space themselves out in a tight grid, then decend in the preprogrammed coordinates......in a one foot by one foot grid!
Looks like each could pack enough plastique to do some heavy damage.
Maybe a titanium shell for really hard and sharp shrapnel.
yep you got a real advance in our technology.....
Oh? Kids toys you say????????

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Am I the only one who is excited to play a real life 3d version of Space Invaders with these little guys? Oh, just think of the possibilities! *Insert Maniacal Cackle*

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Interesting vid indeed. Loved the formation flying. Whatever next for these are anyones guess.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Shotgun. Good answer. I was thinking tennis racket with stainless strings.

If course the real answer is monofilament gill net lol. Big enough holes so they cant detect and you have the whole swarm. Air salvage should be about the same rules as ocean salvage i would think.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
WHOA...that is both cool and freaky!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Wow...that really is a bit mind blowing when you think about the complications they had to run into getting the distances correct on these. I don't know how they keep them in a formation other than the bots must have some kind of either distance sensors coupled to eachother. This is truly amazing. I would want to see what would happen should one of the bots be taken out of the formation during flight, possibly during the figure 8. If they can either adapt or keep the current formation without a "member" then that would be REALLY impressive.

Reminds me of something I saw years ago that was pretty mind blowing at the time call Robot Pebbles....self assembling blocks.
edit on 2/2/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

That is one of the most refreshing things I have heard on ATS in a long while. I agree with you 100%. Use their toys against them. Get one and reverse engineer it. Weaponize it, add cameras, whatever....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Shotguns.... LOL

Too funny but I have to agree. It would be fun popping shots at those thingies...

I can't help it but I got the opening scene of Teminator going on in my heads.... with the humans skulls, etc.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I was hoping more of the ATS Flight types would see this and respond.

I wonder if they can do this with modern day aircraft-now?

And, after thinking about it... the Unversity most likely got it's research money/grants from the Military or a business with military ties/business.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

And now the sciency bit.

While the video is impressive, the flying toys a superb bit of micro engineering, the reality is a little less so.

The toys themselves are exactly that, miniture RC flying toys. The really impressive bit is the control mechanism, which is total sepearate and unable to operate (at the moment) out side of the room. The room is surrounded by cameras and tracking equipment, each of the quadrotrs is marked so that the computer can differentiate them from each other.

Take another look look, you, can see the infra red lights surrounding each camera.

Again, I do not want to be-little the acheivments of the programers in their ability to creat a program that can track multiple flying objects in three dimensional space. I think its awesome, but were not quite ready to send these little fellas out into the real world just yet.

Another example of where this type of 3D spaceial tracking software is being used is here

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

Interesting.

Thanks for the info and video!

Star!

top topics

join