It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Man is The Warmest Place to Hide

usnavyjeep.blogspot.com...

Its around Minus 40 Degrees F there now. So this rings true.

edit on 3-2-2012 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
From the Fox news article:

"Kerosene also grows bacteria, and there's about 65 tons of kerosene in that hole. It would be a disaster if that kerosene contaminated this pristine lake."

But the scientists came up with a clever way to make sure this debacle would not occur. They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they will take out the right amount of kerosene and adjust the pressure so that none of the liquids fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole."

First, 65 tons of kerosene - horrible contamination even if it doesn't reach the water.

Second, right before they reach the water they are suppose to remove kersosene - kinda of dangerous considering how flammable it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
S&F

Crossing fingers for them finding 'The Land of The Lost'

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

edit on 3-2-2012 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Heres a thread that...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...has a link...

Gulf Disaster

...that describes how little oil it takes to pollute an ocean environment:

1) 10.72 parts per million (ppm) of oil alone will kill 50% of the fish test species in a normal aquatic environment within 96 hours.

Great. We have found another of the last pristine environments and our mere presence there will kill off half the life therein. Yeah, good job men. (Drill, drill, drill!)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Fnord

edit on 3-2-2012 by Leroy because: Fnord

edit on 3-2-2012 by Leroy because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2012 by Leroy because: Fnord

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Leroy

Missing ie: gone dark on reporting to the media I think.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Ok lets see if everyone can follow my train of thought here. When water freezes it expands. Layers and layers of ice over this lake is going to put an incredible amount of pressure on the water underneath. If they break thru with a drill, not only would that water that's under pressure be released but who knows if that would be enough for an explosion of pressure.

Now the team is missing.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Does anybody else see a HUGE problem with their little theory of drilling until they hit water, removing the CORRECT amount (hence not ALL) of the kerosine and having water come up through the drill hole?

Even if the air pocket above the lake is extremely pressurized, and will blow back up the hole to equalize the pressure, there's no way to guarantee that NONE of the kerosine will 'drop into the lake'

And even if they do succeed in this feat, when they equalize this pressure (which means letting all the air out, for water to come up through the hole.... The whole untouched bio dome will be completely destroyed I think, because there will no longer be either the pressure which these organisms probably require (which has been mentioned before) and the air pocket will no longer exist....

Im as excited as anybody else to discover new things.... But at what price?? Not that I dont think this lake needs to be explored, but I think we should have (yes, should have... WAAAY to late now) waited until we could come up with a sound plan to explore this great wonder while leaving it virtually untouched.... We are going to completely change this bio dome with what we are doing...

But the scientists came up with a clever way to make sure this debacle would not occur. They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they will take out the right amount of kerosene and adjust the pressure so that none of the liquids fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole."

P.S.

I sincerely apologize for my artistic abilities... or lack there of.....

edit on 3-2-2012 by jta79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Toss up a few tons of Kerosene in the air along with some electrical equipment and you have a very bad situation.

It could be the didn't get the kerosene out soon enough and spilled it in the lake. Maybe they just need time to get their story straight and cover up what happened.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hurrayyyy new 20 million some years old bacteria and virus which our immune system have no clue how to handle cuz we weren't there back then...

Even better... let it "de-gas" and fly in the atmosphere a couple times around the earth
So we can all catch a T-Rex cold.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Isn't there supposed to be something gigantic and metal down there? Too late for me to find the source for that, but there is something odd in that lake.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I'm more interested in the purported metallic anomaly that looks like a structure or alien ship!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
George just said on Coast to Coast that a report has come in that the Russian team is missing and haven't communicated with HQ in 5 days.

I can't seem to find any confirmation of this anywhere. Anybody seen or heard or read this?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but it looks like the scientists are missing

www.foxnews.com...

Wow looks like I'm not the only one thinking these missing scientists is a strange coincidence
edit on 3-2-2012 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by alienzombie666

I'm more interested in science. That water that's liquid under the ice is probably only liquid because its under pressure. Once that pressure is released that water will most likely freeze, expanding its volume.

Earth firework, well icework =P.

The melting of ice under high pressures is thought to contribute to the movement of glaciers.

In case anyone doesn't know the incredible rare properties of water.
Source

Another quote form the wiki.

At even higher pressures, ice is predicted to become a metal

Might explain the metal object as well.
edit on 3-2-2012 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Does this remind anyone of that movie "The Thing" lol

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Reply to post by Vaxar

Ok so let's get on the same page here people bc this could be the beginning of a real crazy story... So far fox news, a Montana university, and am coast coast all report these scientists missing for a week... Anyone else know anymore than that?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

Nobody knows. If faux news has a story tomorrow saying one of the scientists tweeted they are ok and to not worry, then start to worry.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
That big hole might give Satan a way out.

Cool article, thanks for posting. I can't imagine what they've just learned from that big glacier they went though.
I didn't realize the lake was not frozen down there. Wow.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join