It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano Drones Flying in Formation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hey,by the way,have you heard of the AR.Drone Parrot that you can control with your iphone?

It's pretty cool also.

ardrone.parrot.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yep, but its to big for indoor use. There is a cool vid of that thing on youtube where it is armed with fireworks and attacks hydrogen filled balloons.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Bah, got excited for a second.

Nano...not even remotely close to nano sized. Why can't people call things what they are..like saying atomic drones...nope, not atomic.

nano is a specific measurement
1 millimeter = 1 million nanometers

They need to change the name of this toy helicopter

Just calling them what they called them FX.

I edited the op to reflect that they are not actually nano in size.
edit on 1-2-2012 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

Wasnt meant to grump at you..was more griping at the company..but mostly because I was thinking we finally had control over proper nano machines..next stop nano-assemblers (sort of a sci-fi geeky thing).
Like seeing an article saying "warp drive tested" and you find out its just some new car that allows a 0 to 60 speed increase faster than its previous model...
its a cool toy though...sort of useless beyond perhaps mounting a camera on it and checking cave-ins and other such hard to reach spots.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I didnt take it that way FX. After seeing your issue, I kind of agreed which is why I reflected this in the OP with an edit.

I do think these things could be of use though. Think of the search and rescue applications.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
their 3 minute battery life and a 3 mph wind would hardly make them an effective weapon of mass destruction.

Seeing as this tech is in development stage, I would hazard to guess that battery life and stability will be improved as the tech is improved.

these are toys. what development stage. you can buy them at any flea market for $40. made in china to top it off.

edit on 2-2-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Man, I have to disagree with that. I go to flea markets here in Louisville and have NEVER seen these for sale.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
put lasers on these things and cameras and you have the perfect target designator for the "new" laser guided bullet and you have something.

You could have a swarm fly over an enemy position a designate each person as a swarm of bullets approached, no wasted rounds and I'm sure a 98% kill rate. No friendly forces put at risk, heck you could just fire the rounds from a plane ( the farther away the target the better the bullets work )

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
their 3 minute battery life and a 3 mph wind would hardly make them an effective weapon of mass destruction.

I have a quad similar in size, it gets 10+ minute flight times easily and can handle over 20 mph winds. Doubt it could carry any significant ordinance, but it might be nice for reconnaissance and/ or painting targets. Guys on RC Groups have already equipped them with cameras and even micro APV (aerial video platform) capable of POV (point-of-view) flying. IE, you wear goggles and fly via the point-of-view image broadcast from the quad. And this kind of capability is available to hobbyists like myself, one can only wonder what the military is playing with.

I swear I hope I see these at HobbytownUSA!

Your wish has already come true:

www.horizonhobby.com...

These things fly awesome!! Flies smooth as butter in a living room or garage, but has no problem flying outdoors in heavy wind either. It's a really, really great flyer. I've flown many planes and several helis, but this is my first quad and I love it.
edit on 2-2-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

EXCELLENT FIND MY FRIEND! this toy would make it really easy to spy on someone

I feel like if we have this kind of technology at the civilian level then a LOT of the UFO's certainly must be some secret military super science project. especially considering they can fly so precisely in formation.

amazing awesome cool video

edit on 2-2-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Scale it up about a 80 times and put jet turbines on it. Now we are talking!

I think those are called Helicopters

I haven't seen any like that flying around. Where are they hiding them?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Too bad those little things are not a weapon, but a toy. I bet some guy is using an iPhone to control them.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Those remind me of the bugs the collectors use in the game mass effect 2 if they were made into a mega swarm with injectors. Very interesting and cool to watch.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
im a big fan of rc's and this is just wicked. i want a few of these to mess with
edit on 2-2-2012 by NISMOALTI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

My bad. They are called flying cars

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join