It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Many researchers are seeing sugar as not just "empty calories," but rather a chemical that becomes toxic in excess.

link

I think this is interesting. It talks about how the body metabolizes complex carbs so differently from regular sugar, and how your average American eats about 600 calories a day of just pure sugar. It's really fascinating how they're going about this.

Problem is, if they go about this, what in God's name is most of America going to eat?

edit on 1-2-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
OH yes ! a toxin , about time lol

You would think with all these brilliant minds working at it , especially with so much data on sugar , over the millenia ! that they would have come to this conclusion long time ago.

Its addiciting , its counter productive to society , not as a produce , but as an excessive amount like we dump into everything these days.

Go to your store and look for a drink with no sugar , besides water lol . Makes me so mad sometimes , every label you see sugar this , fructose that , corn syrup this ! Enough I say !

Sugar and other sweeteners are, in fact, so toxic to the human body that they should be regulated as strictly as alcohol by governments worldwide, according to a commentary in the current issue of the journal Nature

OH ta hell you say ?

Are you kidding me ? lol
edit on 1-2-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I logged on just to say thanks for posting. I am, and have always been highly addicted to sugar. I crave it like others crave drugs or alcohol. I have requested dessert before dinner in restaurants many times. I wake up craving it and go to bed craving it. IF I eat a lot of sugar before bed I actually wake up sweating in the middle of the night. A LOT of sweating. I am not a large person but I'm sure I would be smaller and feel better if I stopped the sugar.

I have done without sugar before yet it always draws me back in. I DO consider it a drug.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

If you can name me one chemical that does not become toxic beyond excess you win a cookie. Seems to me we are dealing with a tautology here.

In general, stuff that tastes good is most of the time not good for you. Not only sugar is used in excess, but also salt and other chemicals. But I rather live a shorter time eating good tasting stuff everyday than live a longer life eating just healthy bad tasting crap.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sugar in excess is not good ,i totally agree. But vast majority of artificial sweetners are even more "not good" and at much much much lower dosage. Few sweetners are ok - Stevia for example, but it is considerably more expensive then sugar.
Educating people about what we consume and forcing manufacturers to keep their products in safe zones sounds to me much more logical.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
it's about time.

now they should move on to GMOs, fluoride, McDonalds, and half of the typical american diet.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Sugar is particularly toxic to anyone in the autism spectrum. You heard it here first. They talk now about gluten and casein being bad for autistics but I assure you now, sugar is far worse. Mix those and you might as well give the person a gunpowder cigar and a hemlock cocktail. It's mortifying that people haven't worked that out yet, but medical science isn't there to keep us healthy, is it? Patchy info keeps you malleable and weak. Keeps the profits rolling in longer. That's business!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Some doctors have said that sugar is worse for you than heroin... Even the budhist monks consider that so... It is a drug and its up there as a big killer.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I am just chiming in here that I agree with your OP 100%, It is getting hard not to know of somebody whom does not suffer from some form of diabetes of one type or another.
To add to one of the first posters that posted the picture of the coke and sugar cubes....here is the link for that and it is a very good yet scary read.
Link
www.sugarstacks.com...

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

edit on 1-2-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Sugar is particularly toxic to anyone in the autism spectrum. You heard it here first. They talk now about gluten and casein being bad for autistics but I assure you now, sugar is far worse. Mix those and you might as well give the person a gunpowder cigar and a hemlock cocktail. It's mortifying that people haven't worked that out yet, but medical science isn't there to keep us healthy, is it? Patchy info keeps you malleable and weak. Keeps the profits rolling in longer. That's business!

where'd you learn about this?

I bet you're right...grains like wheat gluten and casein turn into sugars once they're metabolized in the body...

I've learned this recently because I work at a "holistic" pet store. some dogs & cats develop diabetes because there is sooooo much "filler" in their foods. the "fillers" are the ingredients which don't hold much nutritional value, but manufacturers put them in to "bulk up" their foods and get more $$$ for their nutritional ignorance.

these fillers usually are grains like wheat gluten, rice, (gmo) corn, buckwheat, etc.

actually i recently found CORN in my goldfish's flake food. it was one of the main ingredients. one of my goldfish would get sick and float at the top all day after eating this corn #, and once i found this out i immediately got a different type of food without all the dumb filler ingredients like corn and rice....that fish never got sick after eating the new food...i could feed them twice as much as usual and it still wouldn't get sick.

even my f-ing goldfish can figure out that that GMO corn and other "fillers" are a no-no for your body.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk

I logged on just to say thanks for posting. I am, and have always been highly addicted to sugar. I crave it like others crave drugs or alcohol. I have requested dessert before dinner in restaurants many times. I wake up craving it and go to bed craving it. IF I eat a lot of sugar before bed I actually wake up sweating in the middle of the night. A LOT of sweating. I am not a large person but I'm sure I would be smaller and feel better if I stopped the sugar.

I have done without sugar before yet it always draws me back in. I DO consider it a drug.

How hard can it be to not eat sugar? I cut way down on sugar and the only difference is in the taste. Coffee with no sugar is bitter. On the other hand, my father loves sugar and eats way too much. He will soon be 80 years old and he is not obese and does not have diabetes. Looking back, on life, we can find many reasons for anything but then we look at the instances where what we thought to be accurate had no effect. Surely, we cannot predict what will happen, will that steak give me a coronary in three decades? Well there are plenty of vegans who are chubby and do have heart attacks. Hell some skinny athletic people drop dead in their thirties.

Sugar a toxin? Was not so long ago when eating an egg (we were"told") was SOOOOOOO bad. An egg, the most wonderful thing in creation. These scientists need to calm down and do the things we pay them for.

edit on 1-2-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'll take sugar over brain-eating aspartame anyday of the week.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I am going to share something with you guys that you may not know about heart disease, high blood pressure, and sugar.

Sugar is very much like salt. It draws liquid. Don't believe me? Look up "Korean Ribs". The first step is to apply a lot of brown sugar to the ribs, then set them aside while you make the rest of the sauce. This pulls the moisture from the meat so it can be replaced by the marinade (soy sauce, mostly). It is the secret to the delectable dish.

If you want to try something interesting, cut sugar and starches from your diet. Go to less than 20g carbs per day for 4 days. If you are not up to pee at least 3 times in the night by night 4, you are indeed an usual individual. Once you cut sugars/starches from your diet, the water used to carry these sugars is eliminated.

Those of you who have been told to try a low salt diet for your high blood pressure, or who take hypertensive diuretics, may see something familiar in this. It is because, like salt, sugar requires large amounts of sugar to move through the body. But your doctor doesn't tell you this, and the entire approach to treating HBP is to lower salt while mostly ignoring starches/sugars.

If you have congestive heart failure, or edema, try eating a low carb diet, along with a moderate salt diet. You will see a difference. An added benefit: your body will regulate insulin better, too.

Sugar is poison. Our bodies can use it for energy, but the side effects are to make us bloated and water heavy (not to mention fat). It is damaging to your bodies.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I am going to share something with you guys that you may not know about heart disease, high blood pressure, and sugar.

Sugar is very much like salt. It draws liquid. Don't believe me? Look up "Korean Ribs". The first step is to apply a lot of brown sugar to the ribs, then set them aside while you make the rest of the sauce. This pulls the moisture from the meat so it can be replaced by the marinade (soy sauce, mostly). It is the secret to the delectable dish.

If you want to try something interesting, cut sugar and starches from your diet. Go to less than 20g carbs per day for 4 days. If you are not up to pee at least 3 times in the night by night 4, you are indeed an usual individual. Once you cut sugars/starches from your diet, the water used to carry these sugars is eliminated.

Those of you who have been told to try a low salt diet for your high blood pressure, or who take hypertensive diuretics, may see something familiar in this. It is because, like salt, sugar requires large amounts of sugar to move through the body. But your doctor doesn't tell you this, and the entire approach to treating HBP is to lower salt while mostly ignoring starches/sugars.

If you have congestive heart failure, or edema, try eating a low carb diet, along with a moderate salt diet. You will see a difference. An added benefit: your body will regulate insulin better, too.

Sugar is poison. Our bodies can use it for energy, but the side effects are to make us bloated and water heavy (not to mention fat). It is damaging to your bodies.

I believe you, enlarged heart with extra beats and congestive heart failure here......low blood pressure due to my enlarged heart.
No sugar no salt, lots of spices from our garden and fresh ground pepper with every meal here.
I am also on diuretics and I can relate to the pee thing in your post.

I have been on these diet restrictions since 1994 and have no regrets because I am still here to type this:-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

if you are ever interested i can tell you how to make some outstanding brownies, banana nut muffins, and blondies that are under 2g carb each (and over 12g fiber each). I top it with my own home made chocolate sauces and ganaches (large servings under 3g carb each). I can also make a key lime pie, chocolate silk pie, and cheesecake (using an awesome almond meal crust) that is under 5g carb per hearty serving.

I have been doing low carb for a year, and over the last 4 months have gotten pretty good with home made low carb desserts, making them daily for my kid who just HAS to have dessert.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You guys do realize that the body runs on sugar, right?

Yes, bow down sheeple...

The state will now ration your food... so that you may be used for optimal production...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infrasilent
You guys do realize that the body runs on sugar, right?

Yes, bow down sheeple...

The state will now ration your food... so that you may be used for optimal production...

Sugar is a poison responsible for a host of illness, mania, depression and skin conditions. Your body runs on caloric intake and sugar whips the adrenals. Even sadder than a sheep is to be a guinea pig.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Sugar in excess is not good ,i totally agree. But vast majority of artificial sweetners are even more "not good" and at much much much lower dosage. Few sweetners are ok - Stevia for example, but it is considerably more expensive then sugar.
Educating people about what we consume and forcing manufacturers to keep their products in safe zones sounds to me much more logical.

It is far from logical for companies to make a fortune while killing us slowly using toxins like sugar that work on parts of the brain pumping out dopamine to addict us to the products.

People only require artificial sweeteners because your taste buds are dulled to the taste of sweet. Like any drug the more you do the more resistant you become and the more you need to maintain the same high.

If you don't eat sugar laden and artificially sweetened foods for a few days... eating a typical stone age diet of grains meat and vegetables (sugar was used sparingly by the court and the King) when you eat an apple or an orange it will taste incredibly sweet.

Primitive people discovered living in the wild and not exposed to a modern diet have exceptional health and perfect teeth.

edit on 1-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Uh... no... cells run primarily by consuming glucose-- a simple sugar. Almost everything you eat is digested to form glucose, which is then used as energy by your cells in the process of aerobic respiration. Sucrose (table sugar) is essentially glucose and fructose bound together. The reason it tastes good is because your body is programmed to like the taste of things that are necessary but rarely found in abundance in our natural environment. That is the same reason we like to eat salt and fats. You will die without enough salt, and fats are a compact source of energy. Sugar is like eating pre-digested food. The problem is, the body isn't set up to deal with ridiculous amounts of sugar at one time. Digestion is ordinarily slow and controlled. Pouring in fuel can overwhelm the system. Fortunately, no one forces you to eat sugary products. I see no reason to regulate them, even if they are harmful in excessive amounts.

The government just wants to ensure your health so it can use you more productively.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

I'm in agreement on all those grains with the exception of buckwheat. That is actually good for all animals and other people (lol). As a celiac disease sufferer myself (and suffering it is too being a now ex-pâtissiere), I can tell you that buckwheat is a blessing to our guts. It's a clean grain and it doesn't seem to cause the immune response that I get even with oats and even rice.

I only have trouble with casein and lactose if my guts are already in crisis because I really eat very little dairy anyway. But look at what we've done to the sources of those foods. Our agricultural practices are absolutely shocking. They aren't foods anymore! The animals that produce our dairy products are stressed beyond reason so what do we think is going to happen when we layer those stress hormones and chemicals they're fed otherwise into our bodies year upon year? How long until we start to react? If autism has a cause, I would guess that it's because of generations of people eating foods that don't resemble the plants and animals they once were. More so because their lives have been shaped to our convenience. They have no relevance as living beings as far as we're concerned, as long as they fill our bloated bellies.

I get my info from sources beyond planet Earth. That's why I said "you heard it here first". It may be a while still, but this info will break someday, just like all of my other outlandish contentions have done. It's sometimes taken 30 years for things to see the light of day, but it still doesn't mean I wasn't right. I have good sources.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join