It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants Blooming Early From Unseasonably Warm Weather

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Nice post and agreed! We're just here for the ride and we have to cope with what the ride brings.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Daffodils blooming here in Central Kentucky. I was just out looking at them earlier. Also, I have noticed that my cat is shedding her winter coat already which, for some odd reason, I find stranger than flowers blooming early.

I don't like this weather. Well, I like the warm temps, but I don't like lack of winter... it's unnatural. Like someone else mentioned, I fully expect everything to bud out and then we'll be hit with freezing temps and all will be destroyed. We already had a tornado north of here a few weeks ago. If that's any indication of the weather to come, perhaps this is the storm season that I should take that tornado chasing trip I've always wanted to go on! But with the way the weather is so screwy, there will probably be a blizzard in June.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Another article just posted to The Blaze has included a possible explanation.

‘What Winter?‘ Here’s What’s Happening With the Weather

But why is this happening?

The reason is changes in Arctic winds that are redirecting snow and cold. Instead of dipping down low, the jet stream winds that normally bring cold and snow south got trapped up north. It’s called the Arctic Oscillation. Think of it as a cousin to the famous El Nino.

When the Arctic Oscillation is in a positive phase, the winds spin fast in the Arctic keeping the cold north. But in the past few days, the Arctic Oscillation turned negative, though not in its normal way, Halpert said. The cold jet stream dipped in Europe and Asia, but is still bottled up over North America.

That’s because another weather phenomena, called the North Atlantic Oscillation is playing oddball by staying positive and keeping the cold away from the rest of North America. About 90 percent of the time, the North Atlantic and Arctic oscillations are in sync, Halpert said. But not this time, so much of the United States is escaping the winter’s worst.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
How is the weather in the midwest? I hope the temperatures dip enough this winter to slow the movement of the pine beetles.

Here in the mid Atlantic the weather is unseasonably warm as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
This may be good weather to someone who doesn't have a dog to walk; this weather is the worst: it means having to clean her from the mud everytime I take her out

or to people who dont have crops or antyhing like that......

Could be potential hell for food prices............as soon as a hard freeze comes BAM food prices SOAR

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I am in the North Texas Area and it’s been a topic of choice around this area as too whether we will get any winter this year or not. To be honest I cannot remember any winter season being this warm. That's close to 40 years of observation.

Add into the fact that Texas has been in a drought for many years, large losses in livestock and agriculture. It's making forecasting the future situation even harder.

The 2011-12 drought ranks as the state’s most intense one-year drought since records began in 1895.

At the rate we have been going some say we are heading to another Oklahoma dustbowl deep in the heart of Texas.

After reading recent scientific explanations such as the links posted above and hearing peoples accounts from other places in the United States and around the world. Let's not forget the -80 degrees in Alaska right now.

There are definitely odd weather patterns going on, I completely base that on my own personal experience and time on this planet.

It could be a natural event or even a manmade event at this point it’s all up in the air I believe.

With that out of the way is there any possibility this could be an aftereffect or a secondary effect of the damage caused to the Gulf of Mexico loop current?

“Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.”
Mark Twain quotes (American Humorist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Aesop

edit on 1-2-2012 by Aesop because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2012 by Aesop because: Correction

edit on 1-2-2012 by Aesop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wow I noticed this too. It has been awfully warm, I mean, for most of the winter I have been in a sweater. There were cold days here and there but really it's been relatively mild, I thought I was the only one noticing the budding trees and stuff, another thing is, there is a bird here where I live that makes a unique sound, kinda like an owls who, who sounds but it's not an owl, well this bird only comes around during late spring, early summer, and I have been hearing it in winter! I can't ever see the darn bird to take a picture lol, I would like to take a picture and see if I can find it's kind and see if it is just a warm season bird, cause if it is, then you KNOW things are messed up.

Another thing and I have never ever considered this, cause it's down right crazy, but I just don't know anymore, this morning the sun came up, and for the first time I was spooked by it, it wasn't where it originally is, now, now before you write me off, I am not saying that it is something unusual, I will be more then happy and accepting of a natural explanation if anyone has one. But, it usually rises right in front of my window or a bit to the right, this time, it was barely within site, it was very far off to the right. I have never seen it do that. Every winter the sun rises directly in front of my window or off just a slight bit past the center bar, this time the sun was way past that center bar. I am not trying to get all tin foil hat but, I can't help to say I noticed.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

CA/OR border coast...my cherry tree is in full bloom. We have really warm days and then cold, the plants are confused! Some spring bulbs are up and many summer flowers are still re blooming with bumble bees all over...we have had no honey bees for years now.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
North Dakota checking in.....we also have been having a very warm winter, and I have noticed that the high temperature records we are breaking this winter are from about 1906. We have had a total of 3 nights below zero, with very little snow. In January, we usually have several feet of snow and temps running into the -45f range, and even lower (without windchill factored in). This year, temps in the 40s and 50sF aren't uncommon, with "normal" days this winter running in the upper 30s.

I have talked with my parents, which provides me with 75 years of data, and they live in Minnesota. While I believe they have received more snow than we have further north, their temps are also well above normal. Definitely unusual, but I believe it's all just a part of our normal weather patterns, and we, as humans, are the ones who must adjust to the new reality. We sure can't control what's going on. We are along for the ride, nothing more, where weather is concerned.

Peace!
SK

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

When its warmer one place its colder another.

Here we had three months in a row of record snow. November was 20 degrees below normal almost every day. January has been bitterly cold.

This has been going on since long before we came along and arrogantly think we understand the weather based on a meaningless amount of data. It's only our hubris that makes us think we understand it and science has always been blind to its own limited knowledge.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

My Grandpa who is 96 almost 97 says he has never seen a winter like this in Missouri. He just gets a kind of glazed over look on his face and does not contribute past that, this is shocking for someone who has a great memory and worked outside all of his life, almost that 100 years you mention in the OP...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
South Texas. Were having a warmer January that we should be. Averaging 75-80s for highs. We don't get to cold down here, but this is spring weather. I'm outside in shorts doing yard work already because my grass is sprouting. As for the predictions of lots of rainfall, Texas needs it. Hope it comes in a good way and doesn't flood out people and crops. All I can do is look at the positive, and enjoy the nice afternoons.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by bigyin

Where I live it is 59 degrees outside on the first of february.
We should be having cold winds and snow.I figure we will
get our "winter" weather in april,may and june! Just in time
for spring planting.

If i remember correctly, think in Revelation it says towards the end of days we won't be able to tell the seasons apart. Could be talking about the earth warming to the point there is no winter.

It's winter here in arkansas and trees are blooming like it's spring. It started doing this a few years ago and seems to be picking up pace.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Easter Lilies are blooming here in Southern Illinois. My fiancee told me that her Grandma, who is in her 70's, had never seen them bloom that early before.

Maybe it is just me but, the air feels like spring air. I don't know how to explain that really. I've always felt the change of the seasons in the air, as I'm sure everyone does, and this feels like late March or early April to me. It is very...weird.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

I noticed the sun being off in it's position just the other day. To me it seems to be coming up slightly more to the Southeast rather than directly East. Perhaps it does this during the winter and I never noticed. Could be completely natural.
edit on 2/1/2012 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
so is it a unusually mild winter with a cold snap , or a new ice age ?now im confused , darn you ats

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's been over 10 years since I have seen trees start sprouting new leaves this time of year... The leaves were late to fall also... The high here in East Texas was 80 today, it is clear outside at 23:45 and 60 degrees now which is much cooler that at the same time last night... I was out in the barn this afternoon wearing a T shirt and boxer shorts and sweating like crazy... At least I won't have to turn on the A/C to sleep tonight.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

...another thing is, there is a bird here where I live that makes a unique sound, kinda like an owls who...
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

I know that bird!!! lol.
I always look forward to hearing it when it's time for spring to roll around because we don't usually hear them here in Kentucky from around the end of September through March or April, but I was walking outside the day before yesterday and I heard it! My grandmother always called them "rain crows" and said they were calling for rain, lol. I'm pretty sure that's not what they're really called. I've often wondered what their official name is. I haven't seen one either, that I'm aware of but I always wanted to. Anyway, I'm 35 years old and this is the first time I have EVER heard one in what is supposed to be the dead of winter. I would have noticed too, because I've loved the sound of the call ever since I was very young. You just made me think of that.

Another sign of spring I look forward to is the sound of frogs. I have't heard that yet, but somehow, I suspect it isn't very far away at all.

edit on 2/2/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This makes me wonder, if the seasons are being thrown off this makes me curious to see what will happen to crops and food production. If this continues, in my opinion I do expect possible increase in prices in our food and or possible shortages.

Of course I would throw in the "weather modifications" bid but that would be like for a million dollars.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Warm Winter Could Cause Critter Problems

A study by Cornell University says this winter that wasn’t has led to an explosion in mosquitoes, fleas and ticks. It also means deer haven’t had a hard time finding things to eat.

This could help spread diseases to ourselves and our animals.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join