It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity and time perception.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by IblisLucifer

you spoke of the spacecrafts we sent out of our solar system and how they appeared to change velocity and this had to do with the suns gravity still attracting them back?

would it be possible to send spacecraft forward towards the sun, and on past the sun? the direction our solar system is heading...

The Pioneer anomaly or Pioneer effect is the observed deviation from predicted accelerations of the Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 spacecraft after they passed about 20 astronomical units (3×109 km; 2×109 mi) on their trajectories out of the Solar System.
Both Pioneer spacecraft are escaping the Solar System, but are slowing under the influence of the Sun's gravity. Upon very close examination of navigational data, the spacecraft were found to be slowing slightly more than expected. The effect is an extremely small but unexplained acceleration towards the Sun, of 8.74±1.33×10−10 m/s2.
The two spacecraft were launched in 1972 and 1973 and the anomalous acceleration was first noticed as early as 1980, but not seriously investigated until 1994.[1] The last communication with either spacecraft was in 2003, but analysis of recorded data continues.

Since the spacecraft were flying with almost no additional stabilization thrusts during their "cruise", it is possible to characterize the density of the solar medium by its effect on the spacecraft's motion. In the outer solar system this effect would be easily calculable, based on ground-based measurements of the deep space environment. When these effects were taken into account, along with all other known effects, the calculated position of the Pioneers did not agree with measurements based on timing the return of the radio signals being sent back from the spacecraft. These consistently showed that both spacecraft were closer to the inner solar system than they should be, by thousands of kilometres—small compared to their distance from the Sun, but still statistically significant. This apparent discrepancy grew over time as the measurements were repeated, suggesting that whatever was causing the anomaly was still acting on the spacecraft.

As the anomaly was growing, it appeared that the spacecraft were moving more slowly than expected. Measurements of the spacecraft's speed using the Doppler effect demonstrated the same thing: the observed redshift was less than expected, which meant that the Pioneers had slowed down more than expected.

When all known forces acting on the spacecraft are taken into consideration, a very small but unexplained force remains. It appears to cause an approximately constant sunward acceleration of 8.74±1.33×10−10 m/s2 for both spacecraft. If the positions of the spacecraft are predicted one year in advance based on measured velocity and known forces (mostly gravity), they are actually found to be some 400 km closer to the sun at the end of the year.

They expected them to slow down on their way out but a small unexplained acceleration towards the Sun, of 8.74±1.33×10−10 m/s2 is not something they could explain or had foreseen with current models of physics. Their are many explanation and ideas but non have really explained this anomaly

Now as to your question i would like to imagine that if you sent something in the direction of terminal shock of the heliosphere and another the opposite direction it maybe similar to a 2 airplanes 1st flying from New York to San Francisco and 2nd flying from San Francisco to New York

If they both leave at the same time which will arrive first at their destination ?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by eriktheawful

Question. Since velocity affects time dilation, then if, for the rest of my life, I swing my arms as fast as I could, then my body and hands would age at a different rate?

according to Einstein, yes. but it would only be a very very small change, because you couldn't wave your arms anywhere near the speed of light.

according to einstein, anything at motion is going to (relatively) experience a different rate of time than an object "at rest".

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by swampcricket

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by swampcricket

Originally posted by DAZ21
If you fly around the earth fast enough, you can slow ageing.

The space shuttle orbited earth at around 17,500 mph did that slow the aging of the astronauts on board?

science.ksc.nasa.gov...

The altitude that they traveled at slowed their clocks in relation to ones that stayed on the ground but the velocity that they traveled at relative to the clocks on the ground would have sped the clocks up by a small amount.

Thing is, the gravitational dilation would probably have exceeded the compression of timespace due to velocity.

Is there a formula to calculate the gravitational dilation versus the time space compression due to velocity? That would be fun to tinker with.

You can always use Wolfram Alpha to calculate it. Try here
www.wolframalpha.com...

(For those of you that don't know Wolfram Alpha, it is a really useful tool)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by eriktheawful

Question. Since velocity affects time dilation, then if, for the rest of my life, I swing my arms as fast as I could, then my body and hands would age at a different rate?

according to Einstein, yes. but it would only be a very very small change, because you couldn't wave your arms anywhere near the speed of light.

according to einstein, anything at motion is going to (relatively) experience a different rate of time than an object "at rest".

The greatest question that can be asked and answered

How can something be infinitely close and infinitely far?
How can it not be?

Outside of 1 there are infinite points
Inside 1 is just as many
Some where inside +1 -1 = 0
outside of either side of the 1 there is no 0 except when placed behind a number 1-9
just like when you put ( . ) 0.1 - 0.9
A decimal point is just the same as a 0 only its not a void place holder

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IblisLucifer

The correct answer to the question of How can something be infinitely close and infinitely far?
In infinite ways.

How can it not be?
It is within reason that logical rational thought can be illogical irrational thought and still have reason
but thru ignorance for change and forgotten memories its will becomes unreasonable,
For the unreasonable are never rational and rarely logical
Since lacking the thought and memory to overcome its ignorance thru reasoning
Something without reason need not exist and shall not since it lack the will to give it a reason to

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join