It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'to block' Syria vote at UN Security Council

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Russia 'to block' Syria vote at UN Security Council

www.bbc.co.uk

Russia has said it will block a draft UN Security Council resolution calling for a transfer of power in Syria because it "leaves open the possibility of intervention" in Syria's affairs.

The US, the UK and France are lobbying on behalf of the Arab League's draft text, which calls for President Bashar al-Assad to hand power to a deputy.

Moscow, which has maintained its ties to Damascus, has so far resisted moves for a UN resolution condemning the violence in Syria. Russia has a naval base in the country and supplies arms to Syria.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Here we go again. Things are getting even more violent in Syria, with recent shelling in Homs. Thins are looking grimmer by the day and of course Russia has to be the 'odd man out' and vote against it...for the second time?

Meanwhile, fighting in Syria continued as government troops bombarded the central city of Homs. Heavy machine gun fire was reported in the restive Bab Amr district.

At least 225 tank shells were fired at the suburbs of Damascus, activists said.

I just dont' get why Russia is doing this. Do they want to see a peaceful transistion? Mt guess is probally. But fact is al-Assad isn't just going to hand over power and give away his fathers legacy so easily.

"Russia can no longer explain blocking the UN and providing cover for the regime's brutal repression," said a spokeswoman for Prime Minister David Cameron.

Over the weekend, troops loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad launched an offensive targeting several areas under the control of the rebel Free Syrian Army (FSA).

They retook control of the suburb of Ghouta, with activists saying the FSA had beaten a "tactical" retreat.

It will be interesting this see how this keeps playing out. This artilce gives good insight to how much damage is being done.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well done Russia!

Instead of throwing money at toppling regimes and creating civil wars, UN should focus more on tackling the real problems hurting folks worldwide. These problems will get more severe in the next decade or so. Link below

www.reuters.com...

LONDON: The world is running out of time to make sure there is enough food, water and energy to meet the needs of a rapidly growing population and to avoid sending up to 3 billion people into poverty, a UN report warned on Monday.

As the world's population looks set to grow to nearly 9 billion by 2040 from 7 billion now, and the number of middle-class consumers increases by 3 billion over the next 20 years, the demand for resources will rise exponentially.

Even by 2030, the world will need at least 50 percent more food, 45 percent more energy and 30 percent more water, according to UN estimates, at a time when a changing environment is creating new limits to supply.

And if the world fails to tackle these problems, it risks condemning up to 3 billion people into poverty, the report said.

Efforts towards sustainable development are neither fast enough nor deep enough, as well as suffering from a lack of political will, the United Nations' high-level panel on global sustainability said.

"The current global development model is unsustainable. To achieve sustainability, a transformation of the global economy is required," the report said.

"Tinkering on the margins will not do the job. The current global economic crisis ... offers an opportunity for significant reforms."

Although the number of people living in absolute poverty has been reduced to 27 percent of world population from 46 percent in 1990 and the global economy has grown 75 percent since 1992, improved lifestyles and changing consumer habits have put natural resources under increasing strain.

There are 20 million more undernourished people now than in 2000; 5.2 million hectares of forest are lost per year - an area the size of Costa Rica; 85 percent of all fish stocks are over-exploited or depleted; and carbon dioxide emissions have risen 38 percent between 1990 and 2009, which heightens the risk of sea level rise and more extreme weather.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

From your source...

But Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister said the text was "not balanced".

Meanwhile, fighting in Syria continued as government troops bombarded the central city of Homs. Heavy machine gun fire was reported in the restive Bab Amr district....

I wonder if an acceptable "Balanced" version of the text would include the retention of a Russian Naval base and the Billions of dollars worth of weapons sales after a regime change?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What I dont get is how other nations feel they have the right to demand a political leader of another nation to step down.

If the UN demanded a US politician step down, they'd get flipped the bird and laughed out of the room.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I wonder if an acceptable "Balanced" version of the text would include the retention of a Russian Naval base and the Billions of dollars worth of weapons sales after a regime change?

Absolutely not.

That's why it's being rejected.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Kind of reminds me of all those times the US has vetoed security council motions against Israel.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The US, the UK and France are lobbying on behalf of the Arab League's draft text, which calls for President Bashar al-Assad to hand power to a deputy.

Team FUKUS (France, UK, US) back at it, working hard to do to us, and the rest of the world, as their team name suggests.

So sick of the crap already.

Getting to the point where I don't want to get up in the morning.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by victor7

THAT WAS HELPFUL FOR THE SYRIAN MARTYRS well done russia? all that russian block has served to do is extend the repression and brutality think about "well done russia" every time you see a 10 year old boy shot tortured an mutilated by assads 'civillised' regime

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Russia... lol. Cant even get its infantry off of its own continent.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuchullainuk777
reply to post by victor7

THAT WAS HELPFUL FOR THE SYRIAN MARTYRS well done russia? all that russian block has served to do is extend the repression and brutality think about "well done russia" every time you see a 10 year old boy shot tortured an mutilated by assads 'civillised' regime

think about well done UN when you choose to ignore 30,000 children dying a slow death out of hunger in Africa...................EACH SINGLE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVILNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm not saying one way or the other if I agree with toppleing the regime, but al-Assad is a tyrant and he has done many unspeakable things to his own people. That being said, I think al-Assad has run out of options, one way or the other his going to be forced to do a power change. He might as well exile now and cut his losses. America and the UN will get him thrown out and Russia is jusT making that harder because of their billion dollar base and weapons cache they are selling to Syria. But again one way or the other al-Assad's days are numbered much like Ghaddfi's was.

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Can't see Russia blocking anything as one of the worlds largest arms suppliers War is good for business

There's.

This also speaks to the abmisal failure of the UN since its creation the organization that was suppose to stop all war.

Well has it?

Has it stopped starving?

Just waiting for the UN to fight for social justice and income equality.

The UN is one of the biggest jokes in world history.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Exactly!

we are know who is in charge and who has the real power...???
Money talks bs walks.....

Peace,
ekiusa

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
How does this actually come as a surprise to anyone? China will also veto it as well, just as both countries will veto any UN resolutions against Iran.

The US started the uprising in Libya, using Qatari nationals, FUKUS demanded a no fly zone, Russia and China agreed to that, and look how it turned out, it turned into a military intervention and regime change agenda, neither of which were drafted in the UN resolution, no way will Russia or China sanction intervention again.

This is about regime change, the calls from Syria have been about external influence causing it, Russia and China believe the same, so do many others, they are not going to play the US imperial game forever, especially when it is affecting their sphere of influence
edit on 30-1-2012 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Bah! Nothing unusual here. Russia either blocking or abstaining(Libya) from UN Security Council Resolutions. They are going lose that naval base, and any economic relations if the instability continues. Sitting on their hands will get them no where. This rebellion has been going for almost a year, and not a peep out of Russia? It looks like the Syrian government is losing ground every day?

They had better start putting their money where their mouth is. Just my two cents on the Russians at the moment. If those scuds fall into the hands of the rebels? This issue will become a regional problem, and no longer an internal one. There was a thread on here about it earlier.

Missile battalion in Syria defects! Threatens to bomb Assad's palace!

According to some twitter posts a missile battalion may have defected to the side of the rebels. It is not confirmed as far as I know. Still, if it is true? An international response will happen with or without the Russians. I know Israel and maybe even Turkey are not going to sit by idly if the Syrian government loses control of their missiles. They know Assad but not the rebels. It poses a risk to the region.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter

Team FUKUS (France, UK, US) back at it, working hard to do to us, and the rest of the world, as their team name suggests.

So sick of the crap already.

Getting to the point where I don't want to get up in the morning.

Team FUKUS...EPIC. Thank you for making my day

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
First of all , if i was the Arab League. Id be wondering right about now why the hell Russia is so interested in Syria that would cause them to go against most of the Middle East as well as the West.

Why doesnt Russia offer to help secure a no fly zone and protect the oil exports (Which can be maintained to the world easily through other sources that have already offered to replace the syrian and iranian exports) instead of supporting a genocidal regime.

A simple no fly zone where you cant bomb or fly aircraft , and the civilians are protected and let the civil war play out. Of course we will provide some CAS , but hell. The guy in Syria has already proved he is radical and a threat to the middle east.

Russia has something more invested in Syria than we know about. 20 Billion dollars isnt worth a 500 billion dollar war. If it is a Limited War and not a Total War.
----

I do not know a whole lot about the Russian Syria relation , so my opinion can change.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
A simple no fly zone where you cant bomb or fly aircraft , and the civilians are protected and let the civil war play out.

Honest question, how would this protect the civilians?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Russia has a military base in Syria and they are also a arms dealer to Syria. Thye have given them heavy weapons such as missles. I am sure Russia is a bit paranoid that IF the power changes Russia may lose a "client" and the new leader won't buy their arms any longer.

Just a thought but I agree the might have something bigger invested in Syria.

-SAP-
edit on 30-1-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join