It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.O.P.A. was canceled, but they won anyway, right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
That is my main question. They did back off with the bill, but since the FBI shut down Megaupload, all of the other file hosting sites are removing all copyrighted content, which, in the end, it's more or less what S.O.P.A. was going for... right?

I'm starting to see a lot of sites rendered useless just because the hosts don't allow copyrighted files anymore (mostly movie-streaming sites) and my question is, what exactly happends now?

I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys, and sorry if this isn't the right forum, I wasn't sure where this would fit.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aprch

No, really - I know that's not what you were going for but that's sure what it sounds like.

The practical effect? - more people just learned that they really /do/ live in a totalitarian state. It's just not overtly obvious to people though, so we're still just cooking the frog slow enough.

People that used to make money before the Intarwebs aren't anymore, and they're trying to pretend that some type of "war" exists on the intartubes.

In reality, a DDoS, or even a sophisticated "militarized" DoS, doesn't really do much, so they're counting on a metric #ton of media hype to make it worth their investment.

Anyone participating in said "cyberwar" is a #ing idiot. LOIC is /not/ a win against these bastards, and only #s up the PR war.

Occupy, however, can be fun if only they can make themselves look like the pitiful bastards they financially are. Then we'll have enough people visible for this to be seen as real economic problems that some might finally (really) call it a "depression."

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aprch

Well good really. People are stealing tangible products. No one in there right mind can say downloading an artists music or movie for free is right. It's stealing no matter how you look at it. Can you walk out of a store with the songs/programs/movies you would download for free? I didn't think so.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cryptographrix

Whoa, I didn't think you were going beyond the "die in a fire, pirate" thing, but I'm glad you did

I too think these cyberattacks are not that much of an impact, but they do get to alert the media, right? And maybe that's a way of getting to people. "Oh, anonymous attacked X site because of Y" and they slowly start to realize what's really going on. Sure Occupy is a more direct approach to the subject and it has a more 'phsysical', more tangible effect for people to see and understand, but I haven't heard much from it lately... last thing I heard was that the movement started to weaken because they didn't have someone to guide them, a greater, defined purpose.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Yeah, but maybe not everyone can access everything, and this is a way of doing it. It's not stealing, the original copy is left untouched. If I go and take let's say, cooking lessons, and when I get home I teach my wife some recipes I've learned in these lessons, am I a criminal? No. The same goes for most things. It's sharing.

Besides, you say it's not right, but things like invading countrys and killing innocent people for oil, manipulate the history, poison the water, the crops, conditionate the public opinion through brainwashing, allow animal abuse, and a whole ton more is?

Think about it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aprch
but since the FBI shut down Megaupload, all of the other file hosting sites are removing all copyrighted content, which, in the end, it's more or less what S.O.P.A. was going for... right?

I would say no.
SOPA wasn't really about piracy. It's control of the flow of information that is the concern.
People digging around, finding the truth and then sharing it. I think that stopping that was what SOPA was really going to be used for, under the guise of fighting piracy.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Well yeah it won. It's worse name is ACTA.

seeds, generic drugs, CONTENT on any site (not just copyright any longer) - all that is in Acta and it's the world, NOT just the usa.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
reply to post by Aprch

Well good really. People are stealing tangible products.

Not really when was the last good CD or movie that came out............. ya thought so..

No one in there right mind can say downloading an artists music or movie for free is right.

Actually No this is wrong yet again..

Ya see, I can probably if i wanted to find at least 100 artists who don't care if their music is downloaded free.. because in some cases if you give people a chance to hear your music They will probably buy it if its worth the price you are asking.. Just ask me about 10 yrs ago when i jacked both of Creed's Cd's off of Napster then took my happy ass to NRM and bought both CD's cause I thought they were just that awesome.. Yes I did that.. Sa wha???

It's stealing no matter how you look at it.

And what exactly is someone stealing?? Is listening to a song on the radio stealing? Is watching a movie at your friends stealing? What exactly is being stolen? If the person Downloaded the music, movie, whatever, they are probably going to test it out and see if it is worth buying, if in any case if someone downloaded it and liked it they would go buy it.. Therefore, not theft but new client.. Eh?

(Afterthought: Notice what i stated in this message above? Ya its been that long since I bought a CD or something.. Because Most of the crap on radio or whatever is exactly that.. crap.. Oh and I jacked all of metallicas music just because they are douchebags.. and no I dont even listen to it..)

Can you walk out of a store with the songs/programs/movies you would download for free? I didn't think so.

Stupid statement is stupid...

I dont get what this is supposed to mean.. and no but you can walk into a store and jack things.. and yes, go check and see how much things people jack from stores, it may suprise you...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
"He who receives an idea from me receives it without lessening me, as he who lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening me."
- Thomas Jefferson

BTW, didn't mean any ill-will by the "die in a fire, pirate" statement. More meant to show a radical distaste for the concept of "piracy" because of how every law enforcement official on the intartubes is searching for the next Napster, etc...

I'm actually all for copyright and patent reform, as centuries of "move away" actions (first taken by the MPAA, Hollywood and the like) have created a system where the people that moved away /last/ exert MASSIVE control over the public discussion of what is piracy, etc.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aprch
reply to post by samlf3rd

Yeah, but maybe not everyone can access everything, and this is a way of doing it. It's not stealing, the original copy is left untouched. If I go and take let's say, cooking lessons, and when I get home I teach my wife some recipes I've learned in these lessons, am I a criminal? No. The same goes for most things. It's sharing.

Besides, you say it's not right, but things like invading countrys and killing innocent people for oil, manipulate the history, poison the water, the crops, conditionate the public opinion through brainwashing, allow animal abuse, and a whole ton more is?

Think about it.

Dude, you must love be very young, and love torrents to say that, and probably don't know too much about torrents. The truth is that I know the people who upload that crap with viruses that will run your Microsoft PC into the ground like spaghetti. #1 Torrents are dangerous to mess with, #2 Do you even know what P2P is? Apparently not, this basically means that your IP is on a very very long list of ADDRESSES to your computer specifically. Not to mention you may as well throw your computer away because that signature will be on your hard drive until you melt it down as a shot glass. I can retrieve the first photo off your hard drive from 12 operating systems ago-nothing leaves your computer.

It's not stealing? So jimmy james spends his life to make an album and just because you can take it you do, like a little fat rat that doesn't know any better. Please fill me in on how this isn't stealing. Each copy of a disc costs $20 at any store, so let's just make a master copy, and everyone in the world can download it for free, and the musician can make 35 cents!

I hope you children grow up to be big movie stars who make movies, and don't get paid because of the principle that you believe in.

Tell me how it isn't stealing? Because you get a itty bitty piece from your friend, and another itty bitty piece from someone else? You don't know these people, they are allowed (by regulation that you do not follow) to give you this for free, or sell it even.

Sorry not to be a d*** but it's stealing.
edit on 31-1-2012 by samlf3rd because: mispelled

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Well I have never said the word "jack" in my life, but I believe you are referring to someone stealing. Well jack away, I hear those people go to jail, but that's probably a myth or something. Guess what? I would turn you in in my community for shoplifting or jacking inside buildings or jacking in other places too.

It's clearly stealing, I bet you know 1000 musicians from your high school band that don't mind playing music for free.

top topics

join